Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1160 [235]
Given Kudos: 117
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618795 [139]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [43]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [24]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: A rectangle is inscribed in a circle of radius r. If the rectangle is [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Largest perimeter is possible when rectangle is Square. Since option C is when it is square and the question itself says rectangle is not a square, C as well as D and E are out as D and E are greater than C.

Our answer must be less than C.
So only A and B left. Now do reverse engineering. B looks more plausible than A as the perimeter of rectangle must of the form a+b....
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1323 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: A rectangle is inscribed in a circle of radius r. If the rectangle is [#permalink]
Just wondering, why is it mentioned in question that "if rectangle is not square" - will the answer be different had the rectangle inscribed in circle be a square ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmihir wrote:
Just wondering, why is it mentioned in question that "if rectangle is not square" - will the answer be different had the rectangle inscribed in circle be a square ?

They had to mention it because otherwise, the answer could have been (C) too.
\((\sqrt{2}r)^2 + (\sqrt{2}r)^2 = 4r^2\)

Hence \(2(a+b) = 2*(\sqrt{2}r + \sqrt{2}r) = 4\sqrt{2}r\)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [9]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Largest perimeter is possible when rectangle is Square. Since option C is when it is square and the question itself says rectangle is not a square, C as well as D and E are out as D and E are greater than C.

Our answer must be less than C.
So only A and B left. Now do reverse engineering. B looks more plausible than A as the perimeter of rectangle must of the form a+b....

The perimeter of the rectangle must be greater than \(4r\). Imagine a "flattened/smashed" rectangle, such that one of the sides is approaching the size of a diameter (\(2r\)), and the other side is approaching 0. When the two sides collapse into the diameter, the perimeter would be \(4r\).
Or, if the two sides of the rectangle are \(a\) and \(b\), \(a+b\) must be greater than the diagonal of the rectangle, which is \(2r\).

Therefore, you can immediately eliminate A, since \(2r\sqrt{3}<4r\).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [2]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
Bookmarks
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
alexpavlos wrote:
A rectangle is inscribed in a circle of radius r. If the rectangle is not a square, which of the following could be the perimeter of the rectangle?

A. 2r sqr3
B. 2r (sqr3 + 1)
C. 4r sqr2
D. 4r sqr3
E. 4r (sqr3 + 1)

Any smart, quick way of solving this one other than brute force?

Since the radius of the circle is r, the diameter must be 2r. Now imagine the rectangle. The diameter must be the hypotenuse of the right angled triangle of the rectangle. Say, if its sides are a and b,
\((2r)^2 = a^2 + b^2 = 4r^2\)

So when you square a and b and sum them, you should get 4r^2

The given options are the perimeter of the rectangle i.e. 2(a+b). So I ignore 2 of the options and try to split the leftover into a and b.
The obvious first choices are options (B) and (E) since we can see that we can split the sum into 3 and 1.
\(a + b = r\sqrt{3} + r\)

Now check:
\((\sqrt{3}r)^2 + r^2 = 4r^2\)

That is what we wanted. Hence, the answer is (B)

Thanks Karishma , but could you please elaborate more ? I still do not understand
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

Now, since each option has \(\sqrt{3}\) in it, then let's check a right triangle where the angles are 30°, 60°, and 90° (standard triangle for the GMAT), because its sides are always in the ratio \(1 : \sqrt{3}: 2\). Notice that the smallest side (1) is opposite the smallest angle (30°), and the longest side (2) is opposite the largest angle (90°).

Answer: B.

Bunuel your explanation is simple, clear, and didn't make my brain hurt. :idea:
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TheNona wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
alexpavlos wrote:
A rectangle is inscribed in a circle of radius r. If the rectangle is not a square, which of the following could be the perimeter of the rectangle?

A. 2r sqr3
B. 2r (sqr3 + 1)
C. 4r sqr2
D. 4r sqr3
E. 4r (sqr3 + 1)

Any smart, quick way of solving this one other than brute force?

Since the radius of the circle is r, the diameter must be 2r. Now imagine the rectangle. The diameter must be the hypotenuse of the right angled triangle of the rectangle. Say, if its sides are a and b,
\((2r)^2 = a^2 + b^2 = 4r^2\)

So when you square a and b and sum them, you should get 4r^2

The given options are the perimeter of the rectangle i.e. 2(a+b). So I ignore 2 of the options and try to split the leftover into a and b.
The obvious first choices are options (B) and (E) since we can see that we can split the sum into 3 and 1.
\(a + b = r\sqrt{3} + r\)

Now check:
\((\sqrt{3}r)^2 + r^2 = 4r^2\)

That is what we wanted. Hence, the answer is (B)

Thanks Karishma , but could you please elaborate more ? I still do not understand

The method makes a guess based on the format of the expected answer.

Make a circle and inscribe a rectangle in it. The diagonal of the rectangle will be the diameter of the circle.

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 4.88 KiB | Viewed 160228 times ]

We need to find the perimeter of the rectangle i.e. 2(a + b)
We know that \(a^2 + b^2 = (2r)^2 = 4r^2\)
So what can a and b be?

\(3r^2 + r^2 = 4r^2\) (So \(a = \sqrt{3}r, b = r\))
or
\(2r^2 + 2r^2 = 4r^2\) (So \(a = \sqrt{2}r, b = \sqrt{2}r\))
etc

Now, looking at the options, we see that
2(a + b) can be \(2(\sqrt{3}r + r)\) i.e. option (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: Smith '16 (I)
Send PM
Kudos
This Question came up on my prep and I got stuck as I didn't look at answer choices.
I just wrote L^2+B^2 = (2R)^2 and I had no clue how to solve it in 2 mins.
I understand that we need to work on shortcuts and tricks, but just for academic purposes can someone show me how to manipulate this equation to answer choice algebraically?
the only next step I could think was (L+B)^2 = 4R^2 - 2LB and had no clue how to go further.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [4]
Send PM
Kudos