It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:01

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A university should not be entitled to patent the inventions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior CR Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1099 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
A university should not be entitled to patent the inventions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 00:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:48) correct 52% (01:42) wrong based on 403 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A university should not be entitled to patent the inventions of its faculty members. Universities, as guarantors of intellectual freedom, should encourage the free flow of ideas and the general dissemination of knowledge. Yet a university that retains the right to patent the inventions of its faculty members has a motive to suppress information about a potentially valuable discovery until the patent for it has been secured. Clearly, suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas.

Which one of the following is an assumption that the argument makes?

(A) Universities are the only institutions that have an obligation to guarantee intellectual freedom.
(B) Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable if patented.
(C) Publication of reports on research is the only practical way to disseminate information concerning new discoveries.
(D) Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally act on that motive.
(E) If the inventions of a university faculty member are not patented by that university, then they will be patented by the faculty member instead.

Source: LSAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 1099 [0], given: 62

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Re: A university should not be entitled to patent the inventions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 01:36
Hi broall,

I was tied up between option C & D but later on selected D.
can you explain both the options ?

1 KUDOS received
Senior CR Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1099 [1], given: 62

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 03:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
broall wrote:
A university should not be entitled to patent the inventions of its faculty members. Universities, as guarantors of intellectual freedom, should encourage the free flow of ideas and the general dissemination of knowledge. Yet a university that retains the right to patent the inventions of its faculty members has a motive to suppress information about a potentially valuable discovery until the patent for it has been secured. Clearly, suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas.

The argument is like this:

The author think that universities:
  • should encourage the free flow of ideas and knowledge (A)
  • shouldn't be entitled to patent the inventions of its faculty members

Premise: A university has a motive (B) to suppress information about a potentially valuable discovery

Conclusion: Suppressing information (C) is incompatible with the university's obligation (A).

The missing link here is that "a motive" (B) and action (C) are totally different. Answer choice D fills this missing link well.

(A) Universities are the only institutions that have an obligation to guarantee intellectual freedom.
The argument includes no information about the role of universities as the only institutions that have an obligation to guarantee intellectual freedom. The problem with this option is the word "only"

(B) Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable if patented.
The argument doesn't have any concern about the profit from those inventions.

(C) Publication of reports on research is the only practical way to disseminate information concerning new discoveries.
This choice is irrelevant to the argument. Again, the problem with this option is the word "only"

(D) Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally act on that motive.
Correct as stated above

(E) If the inventions of a university faculty member are not patented by that university, then they will be patented by the faculty member instead.
The argument has no concern about the fact that those faculty members will hold the patent of those inventions.

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 03:20
Considering option D -

Actual Statement - Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally act on that motive

Negated Statement - Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally not act on that motive

This mean if the university occasionally not act on the motive of suppressing the conclusion of the argument - "suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas. "
will not hold.

Am i right with the above analysis ?

1 KUDOS received
Senior CR Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
kunalsinghNS wrote:
Considering option D -

Actual Statement - Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally act on that motive

Negated Statement - Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally not act on that motive

This mean if the university occasionally not act on the motive of suppressing the conclusion of the argument - "suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas. "
will not hold.

I'm not sure wheather you are right. However, I think that negative technique doesn't work with assumption questions in general.

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 07:15
How will you negate option D ?

can you elaborate on that ?

D

Kudos [?]: 489 [0], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 07:36
kunalsinghNS wrote:
How will you negate option D ?

can you elaborate on that ?

Hi kunalsinghNS,

To negate choice D we should change "will" to "will not", which is what you correctly did.

broall - Negation technique is basically used for ASSUMPTION questions.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 489 [0], given: 113

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 21:33
I was tied up between option C & D but later on selected D.
can you explain how to implement "Negate" technique for this particular assumption question ?

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 51

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 11:13
kunalsinghNS wrote:
Considering option D -

will not hold.

The problem with the negation technique is that some answer choices don't have obvious "opposites", and it's easy to come up with an incorrect negated statement.

kunalsinghNS wrote:

Putting the word "not" after occasionally could change the meaning, so I'd make it: "Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will not occasionally act on that motive."

The author concludes that a university should not be entitled to patent the inventions of its faculty members since this would cause the university to suppress information. But if the universities are not actually going to act on their motives to suppress information, then the author's reason is no longer valid.

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 51

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 21:12
In this question i could narrow down the answers to options C and D. But i am still not convinced why answer option C is not right. Can someone please help me.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2033 [1], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 17:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:

longhaul123 wrote:
In this question i could narrow down the answers to options C and D. But i am still not convinced why answer option C is not right. Can someone please help me.

Choice (C) does not have to be true. What if there are SEVERAL practical ways to disseminate information concerning new discoveries? The author argues that universities are motivated to suppress information until patent rights have been secured. Whether there is only one way to disseminate information concerning new discoveries or multiple ways, the author's argument still applies.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 04:23
I wrestled with this question for a while. My only concern is what the negation means.

Yet a university that retains the right to patent the inventions of its faculty members has a motive to suppress information about a potentially valuable discovery until the patent for it has been secured. Clearly, suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas.

(D) Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will NOT occasionally act on that motive.
-- To me, this sentence means the University may act on their motive all the time, not just occasionally. The use of the word 'occasionally' through me off. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 74

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 15:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nightblade354 wrote:
I wrestled with this question for a while. My only concern is what the negation means.

Yet a university that retains the right to patent the inventions of its faculty members has a motive to suppress information about a potentially valuable discovery until the patent for it has been secured. Clearly, suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas.

(D) Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will NOT occasionally act on that motive.
-- To me, this sentence means the University may act on their motive all the time, not just occasionally. The use of the word 'occasionally' through me off. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

Quote:

I understand your confusion here... if they are not "occasionally" acting on that motive, are they instead ALWAYS acting on that motive? But consider the following example:

Wilbur constantly wants to eat burritos, but since they are unhealthy, he only eats them occasionally.

In other words, Wilbur will occasionally act on his desire to eat burritos. If I tell you that Wilbur does NOT occasionally act on those desires, do you think I'm trying to tell you that he eats burritos every time he gets the urge? Or that he always refrains from acting on those desires? The latter makes more sense given the context.

Sure, negating choice (D) might imply that the universities ALWAYS act on that motive, but this is not the best interpretation given the context. More importantly, you should be able to eliminate the other answer choices and realize that (D) is the best answer.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 145

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 00:41
GMATNinja wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:

Quote:

I understand your confusion here... if they are not "occasionally" acting on that motive, are they instead ALWAYS acting on that motive? But consider the following example:

Wilbur constantly wants to eat burritos, but since they are unhealthy, he only eats them occasionally.

In other words, Wilbur will occasionally act on his desire to eat burritos. If I tell you that Wilbur does NOT occasionally act on those desires, do you think I'm trying to tell you that he eats burritos every time he gets the urge? Or that he always refrains from acting on those desires? The latter makes more sense given the context.

Sure, negating choice (D) might imply that the universities ALWAYS act on that motive, but this is not the best interpretation given the context. More importantly, you should be able to eliminate the other answer choices and realize that (D) is the best answer.

I hope that helps!

Hi GmatNinja,
I eliminated option D, as it says the universities will occasionally act. So, I moved to other choices and felt option B makes sense. Here, is my understanding of option B- since universities have a motive to suppress information until they are patented, so these motives somehow benefit the universities(monetory, outwitting competition...whatever).
Option B states that Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable(benefited) if patented. so, if the motives are not benefited , then suppressing information does not make sense. So, option B can be the assumption to hold the argument. Please help me in my understanding, where I am wrong

B) Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable if patented.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 145

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 67 [2], given: 74

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 05:31
This post received
KUDOS
sunny91 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:

Quote:

I hope that helps!

Hi GmatNinja,
I eliminated option D, as it says the universities will occasionally act. So, I moved to other choices and felt option B makes sense. Here, is my understanding of option B- since universities have a motive to suppress information until they are patented, so these motives somehow benefit the universities(monetory, outwitting competition...whatever).
Option B states that Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable(benefited) if patented. so, if the motives are not benefited , then suppressing information does not make sense. So, option B can be the assumption to hold the argument. Please help me in my understanding, where I am wrong

B) Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable if patented.

Hi sunny91,

Let me take a shot:

-- I highlighted two parts in blue. Why? Because they are the reason why B, in my opinion, is wrong. The passage says that any discovery that has value should not be withheld from the public.

-- (B) Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable if patented. -- Negated: (B) Most inventions by university faculty members would NOT be profitable if patented. -- Even if less than half are profitable, even if it is just one, the University would still withhold these inventions. Does this destroy the argument? Nope, it just restates what the University will do, and gives a figure for it.

Does this help?

By the way, GMATNinja, thank you for answering my question!

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 67 [2], given: 74

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 11:48

(A) Universities are the only institutions that have an obligation to guarantee intellectual freedom. -Exaggerated choice (only institutions)
(B) Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable if patented. -The argument is not concerned about profits
(C) Publication of reports on research is the only practical way to disseminate information concerning new discoveries. -Argument doesn't talk about the ways to state the research
(D) Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally act on that motive. -Correct.If the universities hide the information, then they are definitely acting against the ethics
(E) If the inventions of a university faculty member are not patented by that university, then they will be patented by the faculty member instead. -out of scope

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 138

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2033 [0], given: 462

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 13:51
sunny91 wrote:
Hi GmatNinja,

Thanks for the excellent response nightblade354!

Yes, the problem with (B) is that we don't need MOST inventions to be profitable. The argument states that a university would have a "motive to suppress information about a potentially valuable discovery until the patent for it has been secured." The university does not know in advance which patents will be valuable. They might suppress information about 100 patents... perhaps all 100 will end up being valuable, but perhaps only some (or none!) will be valuable. Regardless, according to the author, the universities are still motivated to suppress the information to avoid sharing POTENTIALLY valuable information.

Need an expert reply?

YouTube verbal webinars:

Kudos [?]: 2033 [0], given: 462

A university should not be entitled to patent the inventions   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2017, 13:51

A university should not be entitled to patent the inventions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap