Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6122 [36]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6122 [10]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619177 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Re: A university should not be entitled to patent the inventions of its fa [#permalink]
Hi broall,

I was tied up between option C & D but later on selected D.
can you explain both the options ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Send PM
Re: A university should not be entitled to patent the inventions of its fa [#permalink]
Kudos
Considering option D -

Actual Statement - Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally act on that motive

Negated Statement - Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally not act on that motive

This mean if the university occasionally not act on the motive of suppressing the conclusion of the argument - "suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas. "
will not hold.

Am i right with the above analysis ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6122 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
kunalsinghNS wrote:
Considering option D -

Actual Statement - Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally act on that motive

Negated Statement - Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally not act on that motive

This mean if the university occasionally not act on the motive of suppressing the conclusion of the argument - "suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas. "
will not hold.

I'm not sure wheather you are right. However, I think that negative technique doesn't work with assumption questions in general.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
How will you negate option D ?

can you elaborate on that ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3804 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
kunalsinghNS wrote:
How will you negate option D ?

can you elaborate on that ?

Hi kunalsinghNS,

To negate choice D we should change "will" to "will not", which is what you correctly did.

broall - Negation technique is basically used for ASSUMPTION questions.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
I was tied up between option C & D but later on selected D.
can you explain how to implement "Negate" technique for this particular assumption question ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [3]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kunalsinghNS wrote:
Considering option D -

will not hold.

The problem with the negation technique is that some answer choices don't have obvious "opposites", and it's easy to come up with an incorrect negated statement.

kunalsinghNS wrote:

Putting the word "not" after occasionally could change the meaning, so I'd make it: "Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will not occasionally act on that motive."

The author concludes that a university should not be entitled to patent the inventions of its faculty members since this would cause the university to suppress information. But if the universities are not actually going to act on their motives to suppress information, then the author's reason is no longer valid.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
In this question i could narrow down the answers to options C and D. But i am still not convinced why answer option C is not right. Can someone please help me.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
A university should not be entitled to patent the inventions of its faculty members. Universities, as guarantors of intellectual freedom, should encourage the free flow of ideas and the general dissemination of knowledge. Yet a university that retains the right to patent the inventions of its faculty members has a motive to suppress information about a potentially valuable discovery until the patent for it has been secured. Clearly, suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas.

Which one of the following is an assumption that the argument makes?

(A) Universities are the only institutions that have an obligation to guarantee intellectual freedom.
(B) Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable if patented.
(C) Publication of reports on research is the only practical way to disseminate information concerning new discoveries.
(D) Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally act on that motive.
(E) If the inventions of a university faculty member are not patented by that university, then they will be patented by the faculty member instead.

longhaul123 wrote:
In this question i could narrow down the answers to options C and D. But i am still not convinced why answer option C is not right. Can someone please help me.

Choice (C) does not have to be true. What if there are SEVERAL practical ways to disseminate information concerning new discoveries? The author argues that universities are motivated to suppress information until patent rights have been secured. Whether there is only one way to disseminate information concerning new discoveries or multiple ways, the author's argument still applies.

I hope this helps!
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5742 [3]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I wrestled with this question for a while. My only concern is what the negation means.

Yet a university that retains the right to patent the inventions of its faculty members has a motive to suppress information about a potentially valuable discovery until the patent for it has been secured. Clearly, suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas.

(D) Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will NOT occasionally act on that motive.
-- To me, this sentence means the University may act on their motive all the time, not just occasionally. The use of the word 'occasionally' through me off. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nightblade354 wrote:
I wrestled with this question for a while. My only concern is what the negation means.

Yet a university that retains the right to patent the inventions of its faculty members has a motive to suppress information about a potentially valuable discovery until the patent for it has been secured. Clearly, suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas.

(D) Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will NOT occasionally act on that motive.
-- To me, this sentence means the University may act on their motive all the time, not just occasionally. The use of the word 'occasionally' through me off. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

Quote:
(D) Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally act on that motive.

I understand your confusion here... if they are not "occasionally" acting on that motive, are they instead ALWAYS acting on that motive? But consider the following example:

Wilbur constantly wants to eat burritos, but since they are unhealthy, he only eats them occasionally.

In other words, Wilbur will occasionally act on his desire to eat burritos. If I tell you that Wilbur does NOT occasionally act on those desires, do you think I'm trying to tell you that he eats burritos every time he gets the urge? Or that he always refrains from acting on those desires? The latter makes more sense given the context.

Sure, negating choice (D) might imply that the universities ALWAYS act on that motive, but this is not the best interpretation given the context. More importantly, you should be able to eliminate the other answer choices and realize that (D) is the best answer.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:

Quote:

I understand your confusion here... if they are not "occasionally" acting on that motive, are they instead ALWAYS acting on that motive? But consider the following example:

Wilbur constantly wants to eat burritos, but since they are unhealthy, he only eats them occasionally.

In other words, Wilbur will occasionally act on his desire to eat burritos. If I tell you that Wilbur does NOT occasionally act on those desires, do you think I'm trying to tell you that he eats burritos every time he gets the urge? Or that he always refrains from acting on those desires? The latter makes more sense given the context.

Sure, negating choice (D) might imply that the universities ALWAYS act on that motive, but this is not the best interpretation given the context. More importantly, you should be able to eliminate the other answer choices and realize that (D) is the best answer.

I hope that helps!

Hi GmatNinja,
I eliminated option D, as it says the universities will occasionally act. So, I moved to other choices and felt option B makes sense. Here, is my understanding of option B- since universities have a motive to suppress information until they are patented, so these motives somehow benefit the universities(monetory, outwitting competition...whatever).
Option B states that Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable(benefited) if patented. so, if the motives are not benefited , then suppressing information does not make sense. So, option B can be the assumption to hold the argument. Please help me in my understanding, where I am wrong

B) Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable if patented.

Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
A university should not be entitled to patent the inventions of its faculty members. Universities, as guarantors of intellectual freedom, should encourage the free flow of ideas and the general dissemination of knowledge. Yet a university that retains the right to patent the inventions of its faculty members has a motive to suppress information about a potentially valuable discovery until the patent for it has been secured. Clearly, suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas.

Which one of the following is an assumption that the argument makes?

(A) Universities are the only institutions that have an obligation to guarantee intellectual freedom. -Exaggerated choice (only institutions)
(B) Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable if patented. -The argument is not concerned about profits
(C) Publication of reports on research is the only practical way to disseminate information concerning new discoveries. -Argument doesn't talk about the ways to state the research
(D) Universities that have a motive to suppress information concerning discoveries by their faculty members will occasionally act on that motive. -Correct.If the universities hide the information, then they are definitely acting against the ethics
(E) If the inventions of a university faculty member are not patented by that university, then they will be patented by the faculty member instead. -out of scope
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sunny91 wrote:
Hi GmatNinja,
I eliminated option D, as it says the universities will occasionally act. So, I moved to other choices and felt option B makes sense. Here, is my understanding of option B- since universities have a motive to suppress information until they are patented, so these motives somehow benefit the universities(monetory, outwitting competition...whatever).
Option B states that Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable(benefited) if patented. so, if the motives are not benefited , then suppressing information does not make sense. So, option B can be the assumption to hold the argument. Please help me in my understanding, where I am wrong

B) Most inventions by university faculty members would be profitable if patented.

Thanks for the excellent response nightblade354!

Yes, the problem with (B) is that we don't need MOST inventions to be profitable. The argument states that a university would have a "motive to suppress information about a potentially valuable discovery until the patent for it has been secured." The university does not know in advance which patents will be valuable. They might suppress information about 100 patents... perhaps all 100 will end up being valuable, but perhaps only some (or none!) will be valuable. Regardless, according to the author, the universities are still motivated to suppress the information to avoid sharing POTENTIALLY valuable information.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hello

Out of curiosity, if the question were the BOLD face type of question, which would be the conclusion? I suppose:

A university should not be entitled to patent the inventions of its faculty members. - C
Clearly, suppressing information concerning such discoveries is incompatible with the university's obligation to promote the free flow of ideas. - P

Anyone disagrees? why?

Thanks for sharing your ideas

GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo @nightblade345 Skywalker18
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5742 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
jawele, I can agree with that. I think your premise is a sub-conclusion/major premise, but either way you are correct in that the first sentence is the conclusion; everything supports it.

Use the because/therefore technique whenever you are confused!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts