GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A whale goes on a feeding frenzy that lasts for 9 hours. For the first

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
A whale goes on a feeding frenzy that lasts for 9 hours. For the first  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Jun 2015, 12:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (02:42) correct 27% (02:54) wrong based on 108 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A whale goes on a feeding frenzy that lasts for 9 hours. For the first hour he catches and eats x kilos of plankton. In every hour after the first, it consumes 3 kilos of plankton more than it consumed in the previous hour. If by the end of the frenzy the whale will have consumed a whopping accumulated total 450 kilos of plankton, how many kilos did he consume on the sixth hour?

A. 38
B. 47
C. 50
D. 53
E. 62

Originally posted by reto on 23 Jun 2015, 11:36.
Last edited by Bunuel on 23 Jun 2015, 12:00, edited 2 times in total.
Added the OA.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Tutor
G
Re: A whale goes on a feeding frenzy that lasts for 9 hours. For the first  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2015, 11:55
If you list the amount eaten each hour, you'll get an equally spaced list, increasing by 3 each hour. In any equally spaced list, the median equals the mean. Here, the mean is 450/9 = 50, so the median is also 50, and that is the amount eaten in the 5th hour. We need to add 3 to find the total eaten in the next hour, so the answer is 53.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Re: A whale goes on a feeding frenzy that lasts for 9 hours. For the first  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2015, 12:01
reto wrote:
A whale goes on a feeding frenzy that lasts for 9 hours. For the first hour he catches and eats x kilos of plankton. In every hour after the first, it consumes 3 kilos of plankton more than it consumed in the previous hour. If by the end of the frenzy the whale will have consumed a whopping accumulated total 450 kilos of plankton, how many kilos did he consume on the sixth hour?

A. 38
B. 47
C. 50
D. 53
E. 62

The Answer is 53. This is an Arithmetic Progression Problem. in 9 hours the whale will eat
9(2x+24)/2=450

Solving, x=38
Therefor in 6th hour he consume x+3*5=38+15=53
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2015, 12:47
Formula :
1. Sum of N terms of an AP = n/2[2a + (n-1)*d]
2. Nth term = a + (n-1)d

Suppose food eaten in first hour : x
The AP is : x, x+3, x+6, .... [Number of terms 'n' = 9]
Therefore,
9/2[2x + (9-1)*3] = 450.
Solving for x, x = 38.
Now, 6th term will be : x + (6-1)*d = 38 + 5*3 = 53.

Hence D !!
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 09:40
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: A whale goes on a feeding frenzy that lasts for 9 hours. For the first   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2019, 09:40

A whale goes on a feeding frenzy that lasts for 9 hours. For the first

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics