GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 23:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 892
According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Mar 2019, 03:31
11
87
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (00:59) correct 29% (01:03) wrong based on 1779 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so that it was the lowest in two years suggests that the gradual improvement in the job market is continuing.


(A) so that it was the lowest in two years

(B) so that it was the lowest two-year rate

(C) to what would be the lowest in two years

(D) to a two-year low level

(E) to the lowest level in two years


The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 260
Page: 694

Surprisingly, Britain is one the OECD’s worst performers over the past decade. At 4%, its unemployment rate is at its lowest level since 1975.

In July Britain's unemployment rate fell for the 13th straight month, to 5.5%, the lowest level since April 1990.

Can someone explain why (D) is incorrect. I have come across sentences that said inflation hit to a two-year low level and so confused as to why (D) is incorrect.

The first and second choices’ use of so that is ungrammatical. So that is a conjunction, but in both the first and second choices it is immediately preceded not by a complete clause (containing both a subject and a predicate) but by a subject only.

The third choice is awkwardly expressed and leaves unstated what lowest modifies.

The fourth choice is awkward and potentially ambiguous: it could mean either that in July unemployment decreased to the lowest level in two years (which presumably is the intended meaning), or it could mean that in July unemployment decreased to a low level, where it will stay for two years.

The fifth choice is the best.

Originally posted by seekmba on 10 Mar 2010, 07:59.
Last edited by Bunuel on 10 Mar 2019, 03:31, edited 6 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 331
Location: San Francisco
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2010, 00:20
21
8
Hey All,

Bakfed pretty much nailed this one on the head. It's just not idiomatic. To be more specific:


(D) to a two-year low level

There are two ways we could read this.

#1: "low level" is meant to be read as one thing, and two-year is modifying it (as in "It was a lovely barn dance", in which "lovely" is modifying the compound noun "barn dance). This doesn't make any sense, however, because there's no such thing as a "low level".

#2: "Two-year" is an adverb modifying the main adjective "low", which is describing "level" (as in "It was a dark green sweater", in which dark is modifying green, which is modifying sweater). This doesn't make any sense either, however, because there's no such thing as a level that is "two-year low".

Hope that helps a bit!

-t
_________________

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 988
Location: United States
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 12:16
7
2
goodyear2013 wrote:
According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so that it was the lowest in two years suggests that the gradual improvement in the job market is continuing.
(A) so that it was the lowest in two years
(B) so that it was the lowest two-year rate
(C) to what would be the lowest in two years
(D) to a two-year low level
(E) to the lowest level in two years

I added this one as other posts don't include the OA.


Good question.

Split #1: "To the lowest" vs. "to the lowest level".

If you say "the July decrease in unemployment to the lowest", that does not make sense. To the lowest of what?
It's the same if you say the "the decrease in unemployment is half". Half of what? See my explanation for a similar OG question below.
unlike-mainstream-american-businesses-more-than-half-of-80789.html

The correct and unambiguous phrase should be "the July decrease in unemployment to the lowest level....."
So A, B, C are out.

Split #2: "the lowest level in two years" vs. "a two-year low level.

Definitely, the fist phrase is better. The second phrase does NOT convey the gist of the sentence. "Two-year low level" does NOT mean "the lowest level". Thus D is wrong because of meaning problem.

E is the best.

Hope it helps.
_________________
Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Darden Class of 2013
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 1789
Schools: University of Virginia
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2010, 14:08
2
i can't really gasp why (D) is wrong, besides the unidiomatic way of saying this sentence.

I would choose (E) over (D) and this is simply because (D) just sounds wrong and ambiguous.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 185
Reviews Badge
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2010, 00:27
3
1
TommyWallach wrote:
(D) to a two-year low level

There are two ways we could read this.

#1: "low level" is meant to be read as one thing, and two-year is modifying it (as in "It was a lovely barn dance", in which "lovely" is modifying the compound noun "barn dance). This doesn't make any sense, however, because there's no such thing as a "low level".

#2: "Two-year" is an adverb modifying the main adjective "low", which is describing "level" (as in "It was a dark green sweater", in which dark is modifying green, which is modifying sweater). This doesn't make any sense either, however, because there's no such thing as a level that is "two-year low".


Tommy, is the following construction correct? I've removed the word 'level' from choice D.

According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment to a two-year low suggests that the gradual improvement in the job market is continuing.
_________________
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 331
Location: San Francisco
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2010, 10:26
2
Hey Sidhu,

Yes, as far as I can see, your suggest construction would be correct.

-tommy
_________________

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2013, 21:11
1
According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so that it was the lowest in two years suggests that the gradual improvement in the job market is continuing.

(A) so that it was the lowest in two years
(B) so that it was the lowest two-year rate
(C) to what would be the lowest in two years
(D) to a two-year low level
(E) to the lowest level in two years

Hi! I would like to clarify pronoun antecedent. It seems that as sentences become more difficult, pronoun antecedent eligbility becomes less clear-cut. I have read in some places that an antecedent cannot be an object of a preposition but elsewhere it says this is possible. Would anyone be able to help clarify please?

Thanks!

For example, for above, the OG says "it" is ambiguous because it can refer to either decrease or unemployment. I can see that if "it" refers to decrease, the sentence won't make sense. However, the OA does not say it's a wrong antecedent but an ambiguous one. Unemployment is part of a prep phrase. In OG13, the OA says that objects of prepositions can't be antecedents for pronouns?

Q: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.
OA: "Because sloth is the object of a preposition and not the subject of the sentence, there is no reasonable antecedent for "it"
Edit: by carcass
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 16
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2013, 21:33
Hi,

An object of a preposition can be a pronoun antecedent if the prepositional phrase is post-modifying the head noun.

Consider the following example of a noun phrase in which a prepositional phrase is used to post-modify the head noun: "the coat of many colors". The prepositional phrase is "of many colors." The head noun is coat. This head noun is pre-modified by the identifier the. In addition, it is post-modified by the prepositional phrase of many colors. It is a simple matter to determine if this complex structure is functioning as a complete noun phrase, as it is always possible to substitute a pronoun for a whole noun phrase. So, in the utterance the coat of many colors was beautiful a pronoun may be substituted for the noun phrase to produce the modified utterance it was beautiful.

_________________
Susan Feldman, Ph.D.
GMAT AWA & Verbal Tutor
Admission Essay Coach
Peak Performance Test Prep
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2013, 19:53
2
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 26
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2013, 16:59
eybrj2 wrote:
50. According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so that it was the lowest in two years suggests that the gradual improvement in the job market is continuing.

(A) so that it was the lowest in two years
(B) so that it was the lowest two-year rate
(C) to what would be the lowest in two years
(D) to a two-year low level
(E) to the lowest level in two years


Why D is wrong?

I Hope someone can help
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 129
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2013, 19:57
3
kassim wrote:
Why D is wrong?
I Hope someone can help


decrease ... to a two year low would have sufficed.

"level" is additionally/wrongly used in option 'D'
_________________
Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 123
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2014, 00:42
1
eybrj2 wrote:
50. According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so that it was the lowest in two years suggests that the gradual improvement in the job market is continuing.

(A) so that it was the lowest in two years
(B) so that it was the lowest two-year rate
(C) to what would be the lowest in two years
(D) to a two-year low level
(E) to the lowest level in two years


nice question.

"so that +clause" is a adverb clause of purpose. of course this clause need a main clause. There is no main clause. A and B are gone.

in c, "would be " show the certainty, not a fact. This is wrong. we need to show a fact. C is gone

in D, "two year low" is not idiomatic. This phrase is meaningless.
_________________
If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 19 Mar 2014
Posts: 922
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 14:35
Hello EGMAT, GMATNinja,

Could you please clarify the usage of lowest over here?

Ideally, if we have to compare between two, we use comparative form ("lower" in this case) and if we are to compare more than two, we use superlative form ("lowest" in this case)

IMO - We are comparing the unemployment between two years so we should be using - lower.

Is there any exception to this rule? Or I am getting it wrong?

Thank you in advance!
_________________
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1564
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 16:23
ydmuley, you're right that we wouldn't want to use "lowest" to compare two figures, such as the levels for two entire years. However, "the lowest level in two years" means that if we look at all the levels over a two year period, this would be the lowest point. Imagine a graph of daily, weekly, or monthly values for the past two years. We're talking about the absolute lowest point on that graph.
_________________

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 569
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 12:53
1
Hello seekmba,

Thank you for your question. To answer your specific question of why D can't be the correct answer, we need to look at what both D & E (the correct answer) actually mean:

(D) to a two-year low level
By saying "low level," it doesn't tell us this is the lowest level in two years - just that it's low. It could have been just as low at some other point in the past two years, and that this is just one of those times. Since that's not specific enough for readers to understand quickly, it's not the best answer.

(E) to the lowest level in two years
By saying "the lowest level," it's clear that the unemployment level has not been this low at any other point in the past two years. This is the intended meaning of the sentence, so it's the better answer.
_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Jul 2016
Posts: 101
Location: India
Schools: Oxford "21 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
CAT Tests
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2019, 20:32
According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so that it was the lowest in two years suggests that the gradual improvement in the job market is continuing.


(A) so that it was the lowest in two years - SO THAT is used to give reasons. Is the reason for decrease in employment that it was the lowest in two years?

(B) so that it was the lowest two-year rate - Here, lowest acts as an adjective modifying two year rate. The original sentence intends to say that the rate was the lowest in two years, NOT that there were many two year rates and this one was the lowest.

(C) to what would be the lowest in two years - The usage of would suggests that the rate is not actually the lowest. It sounds as if it is a prediction.

(D) to a two-year low level - same as B

(E) to the lowest level in two years - BEST.

Thanks
_________________
Please give Kudos if you agree with my approach :)
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 5931
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2019, 01:46
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2019, 01:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne