Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Pronounsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [1]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so [#permalink]
AjiteshArun sir,
I am writing this post for clarity purposes after reading the comments of various experts on option D.

The meaning conveyed in option D is that the unemployment remained low for continuous two years. This is what "two-year" low level means just as "two-year" marriage, "two-year" recession, "two-year" lease. But the original meaning conveyed is that the unemployment reached the lowest in two years, not that it remained continuous for two years.

Have I understood the option correctly?

Please advise.

Best,
KD
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: According to some economists, the July decrease in unemployment so [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
AjiteshArun sir,
I am writing this post for clarity purposes after reading the comments of various experts on option D.

The meaning conveyed in option D is that the unemployment remained low for continuous two years. This is what "two-year" low level means just as "two-year" marriage, "two-year" recession, "two-year" lease. But the original meaning conveyed is that the unemployment reached the lowest in two years, not that it remained continuous for two years.

Have I understood the option correctly?

Please advise.

Best,
KD

Hi krndatta,

It's not always possible to get to the meaning of something that's unidiomatic (if we can't normally say ABC, it may be difficult to figure out what ABC means). In short, I don't think we can be very specific about the meaning of D.

But that's just how I look at this issue. It may be a good idea to tag other experts here.
MBA House Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Practice Question GMAT Practice Question [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The first and second choices’ use of so that is ungrammatical. So that is a conjunction, but in both the first and second choices it is immediately preceded not by a complete clause (containing both a subject and a predicate) but by a subject only.

The third choice is awkwardly expressed and leaves unstated what lowest modifies.

The fourth choice is awkward and potentially ambiguous: it could mean either that in July unemployment decreased to the lowest level in two years (which presumably is the intended meaning), or it could mean that in July unemployment decreased to a low level, where it will stay for two years.

The fifth choice is the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 200 Q3 V1
Send PM
Many financial headlines use "two-year low" and it completely makes sense...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts