Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3283 [130]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [34]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [18]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became on [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
jerrywu wrote:
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to

B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

This question is based on Construction.

The conjunction ‘while’ doesn’t convey the contradiction in a strong enough manner in Option A. There is also a lack of parallelism because of the redundant pronoun ‘it’. The singular noun ‘payment’ doesn’t fit the meaning of the sentence that states that the company was months behind in making payments. The plural form ‘payments’ would be more appropriate. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option B changes the construction and by using the verb form ‘fell’, converts the last part of the sentence into another clause, implying that that was another action performed by the health care company. The last part of the sentence is actually a description of how the company proved unable to handle the business. Option B also has the inappropriate conjunction ‘while’. So, Option B can be eliminated.

This option has the redundant pronoun ‘it’. Besides, the possessive pronoun ‘its’ in front of the participle ‘paying’ is awkward. So, Option C can be eliminated.

In Option D, the participle forms ‘proving’ and 'falling' make the sentence incomplete. So, Option D can also be eliminated.

Option E has the appropriate construction, with the verb ‘proved’ in parallel form to the verb ‘became’ in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. The conjunction ‘but’ is appropriate as it conveys the contradiction. The participle modifier at the end of the option describes how the company was unable to handle the business.
Therefore, E is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became on [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
jerrywu wrote:
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to

B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning is that the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, but then then the company proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying doctors and hospitals.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Tenses + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• “while” is used for actions that take place simultaneously.
• The simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.
• The introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “falling” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses "while" to refer to two actions that took place at different points in time; remember, “while” is used for actions that take place simultaneously. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy constructions "it then proved unable" and "in its payment to", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "and fell months behind"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the company proved unable to handle the increase in business, and as a separate action fell months behind in paying doctors and hospitals; the intended meaning is that the company proved unable to handle the increase in business, and as a result fell months behind in paying doctors and hospitals. Further, Option B incorrectly uses "while" to refer to two actions that took place at different points in time; remember, “while” is used for actions that take place simultaneously. Additionally, Option B uses the needlessly wordy constructions "it then proved unable" and "in its payment to", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy constructions "it proved unable" and "in its paying", leading to awkwardness and redundancy; these constructions are redundant because "it" and "its" can be deleted without a loss of clarity.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "proving" in this case) to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.

E: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "falling months behind", conveying the intended meaning - that the company proved unable to handle the increase in business, and as a result fell months behind in paying doctors and hospitals; remember, the introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “falling” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship. Further, Option E correctly uses the simple past tense verb "proved" to refer to an action that concluded in the past. Additionally, Option E avoids the idiomatic error seen in Options A and B, as it uses "but" rather than "while". Besides, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Comma Plus Present Participle for Cause-Effect Relationship" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [8]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I like this question as it tests several concepts.
E.

The meaning suggests that we need contrasting "but", not "while" in the way it is used.
See below for other comments.
Minheequang wrote:
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals

(A) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to
(B) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to
(C) but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying ask yourselves, do we really need a pronoun "it"? What if we can make "but" portion of the sentence parallel with the first part of the sentence? Say, "company became blah blah blah but then proved blah blah blah" is much better. In this case, "company" is the subject of both "became" and "proved", and therefore there is no need for "it". Such "it"s introduce circularity to the sentence and therefore should be be avoided. Also, "it" can refer to "Metropolitan area"
(D) but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying "proving" is not parallel with "became"
(E) but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying Correct - See C

It's in Gmatprep, one of the hardest questions I have ever faced. Who can have the clearest answer ? I think it's all about meaning, which is sometimes above my knowledge

P?S: with each post, I will pose question against your explanation until I meet a stronger one than mine
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [10]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, INSEAD
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here's how to ellipse:

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became \(X(\)one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area\()\), but then proved \(Y(\)unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying\()\)

company became X but (then) proved Y

falling... is a descriptive verb modifier, which the GMAT absolutely loves.

Final Answer, E.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [8]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Minheequang wrote:
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals

(A) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to
(B) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to
(C) but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
(D) but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
(E) but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

It's in Gmatprep, one of the hardest questions I have ever faced. Who can have the clearest answer ? I think it's all about meaning, which is sometimes above my knowledge

P?S: with each post, I will pose question against your explanation until I meet a stronger one than mine

OA is E

Here's how I went about it:

Step 1) While vs but then

I knew that the "healthcare company became one of the largest"---and then the part where it says "unable to handle the increase in business"---implies that the transition word we need is something that implies "however"

The idea is the company became really bit...BUT THEN...it couldn't handle being big.

So that's what I saw in (C), (D), and (E). I crossed off (A) and (B) for now.

Step 2) It proved Vs proving Vs proved.......
"Proving" in (D) doesn't make sense here. "but then proving unable to do blah blah blah, [something here]"
But that's not the sentence structure we see. So we know (D) is no good.

As far as "it proved" vs "proved in choices (C) and (E)---it's hard to say definitively so I keep reading the sentence.

Step 3) Looking closer at (C) and (E).
Then I notice they're trying to test me on "In its paying doctors" Vs "In paying doctors"

Well, "in its paying doctors" sounds kind of awkward. "In paying doctors" is much simpler and gets to the point

So there we have it--answer (E) but just doing a few simple thought processes the GMATPill way.

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

The answer to me is 'E'.

In C you do not need the two extra 'it' and 'its' - There is only one subject in the sentence 'health care company' - as there is no potential for confusion you do not need to repeat it.

There would be more justification for the second 'its' if the word order was slightly different.

Currently:

'in its paying'

better would be

'in paying its'

This would be qualifying whose doctors are being paid, currently it is an awkward way of saying who is doing the paying
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM

(C) but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
(D) but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
(E) but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

The official answer is E, as I saw on few threads discussing this question

somehow I don't understand how official answer can be E as clearly a comma and but indicate an independent clause (I presume there had not been any typos while posting and that comma is indeed out from the underlined part) then how can E be the answer as it clearly lacks subject....The answer must be C....I would like to have some expert opinion here if E really is the answer..or please if someone who has come across this question can clarify if the comma is in the underlined part
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
ratinarace wrote:

The official answer is E, as I saw on few threads discussing this question

somehow I don't understand how official answer can be E as clearly a comma and but indicate an independent clause (I presume there had not been any typos while posting and that comma is indeed out from the underlined part) then how can E be the answer as it clearly lacks subject....The answer must be C....I would like to have some expert opinion here if E really is the answer..or please if someone who has come across this question can clarify if the comma is in the underlined part

Dear ratinarace,

I'm happy to help with this. :-) This question is about parallelism. The noun "the health care company" is the subject, and the best sentence has two verbs in parallel for this subject. This is exactly what (E) has:

.... the health care company became ......, but proved .....

Those two underlined verbs are in parallel. We don't need a pronoun before the second verb --- that actually makes the sentences longer and clunkier. The most concise and efficient sentence puts the two verbs directly in parallel.

Does this make sense?

Mike :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos