Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Aiming to apply for Round 2 ISB [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Ashutosh Nigam wrote:
Hey Guys,

I've been preparing for GMAT since last one month.
Able to score of average 690+ after a couple of mock tests (Princeton, Manhattan)

I am planning to give my final GMAT by mid October and apply for Round 2 at ISB.
Apart from GMAT, I have 2 years of core work experience with established startups.

I just wanted to have some advise if my plans sounds correct to get into ISB.

Profile stats:

Education:
D.S.C.E Bangalore
B.E Mechanical (2012-2016): Mechanical
Overall percentage: 72%
Delhi Public School (C.B.S.E)
10th: 83.2%
12th: 65%

Extra curricular-work during college:
Jun, 2013- Sep, 2014: Co-founded a startup into sustainable packaging aiming to reduce plastic pollution.
Oct 2014 –Jan 2016: Founded another startup into internet based discovery/review service specifically designed for colleges. Reached to a level of 60,000+ user reviews.

Was placed in Robert Bosch, Accenture and Cognizant through campus, but didn’t join.

Sept 2016 – Dec 2017
I joined a Gurgaon based startup as Strategy and Operations Associate.
My role was into core strategy and operations.

Dec 2017 till present
Moved to a New York based startup which is backed by one of the biggest investors like Goldman Sachs and Kleiner Perkins
Role: Operations Analyst.
Responsibilities: Strategic Operational planning for India operations, analytical reporting of capital markets (US)

Hi Ashutosh

Thank you for posting. Your work in strategy and ops certainly seems very interesting. Here is our assessment:
- You should try for a GMAT score of 700 and above, and possibly try and hit the 720 mark, as your academics are decent but not outstanding. Also, when taking mock tests, try and take a GMATPrep mock, as that will be more accurate in predicting your score than other options.
- The startup work you did before you graduated counts, though it will not be formally part of your work experience as ISB sees it. The second startup seems to have got good traction - why did you move on from there?
- The placements with Robert Bosch, Accenture, and Cognizant are good points of information, but they will not carry weight for your application to ISB. They may, though, be used as data points to indicate your passion for startups in an interview.
- Almost all your work so far has been in startups, but what does the future hold? Do you plan to get back to a startup in a management role or do you wish to be an entrepreneur again?
- October is still some time away, and you seem to have made some headway already in terms of your GMAT preparation. If possible, see if you can apply for R1, but if you feel that is not doable then the priority should be putting in your best application with your best score.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived ISB Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our ISB Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated ISB Forum for all fresh things related to the ISB MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts