Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:10 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: As part of the 28th annual Bed & Breakfast expedition, a [#permalink]
E must be the answer

ezhilkumarank,

What is the leader's conclusion ?
Unless more water is procured the expedition has to be delayed.
A- directly supports this conclusion. Quantity of the water bottle mentioned is necessary for conducting the experiment they had planned to do in the park.

If you read the question stem it clearly states -the following is one of the additional premise

Hope my explanation is helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
Based on process of elimination I am going with E. I am also going with E because the leader's conclusion is:
"He declares that unless they can procure more bottled water the hike will have to be delayed."

In the stimulus, he only mentions that the delay will be caused because of bottled water. However, in the answer choice E, the delay will be caused by water, hat, and hiking boots.

This is my explanation, discuss please. I would also like to know the source of this problem, if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Dawg
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Dreamy wrote:
E must be the answer

ezhilkumarank,

What is the leader's conclusion ?
Unless more water is procured the expedition has to be delayed.
A- directly supports this conclusion. Quantity of the water bottle mentioned is necessary for conducting the experiment they had planned to do in the park.

If you read the question stem it clearly states -the following is one of the additional premise

Hope my explanation is helpful.

Here are my thoughts for going with option A.

Argument -- "He declares that unless they can procure more bottled water, [highlight]the hike[/highlight] will have to be delayed". Also the reason for bringing the water is not explicitly stated. The water could be for quenching thirst of the people hiking the mountain or for conducting the experiment after the hike. This is a unstated assumption in the argument. On the basis of this assumption it is believed that the hike would be delayed.

Option A notes that the [highlight]water is necessary for conducting the experiment[/highlight] in the park and it has nothing to do with the hike as such. Hence thought that if this additional piece of information or premise is added to the main argument, would NOT enable the leader's conclusion to be logically drawn. This additional piece of information is directly attacking the underlying assumption on which the argument is made.

Also even without the additional water, hike can be continued however only the experiment should have to be sacrificed.

Are my thoughts valid ??? Kindly comment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
ezhilkumarank, yeah that does make sense. i just assumed that experiment and expedition were supposed to be the same word but the person typing them messed up. assuming that, only E makes sense. If that isn't the case then there should be two right answers A and E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I thought even to reach the park they need to hike. Lets wait for the OA then.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I go with A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Dreamy wrote:
I thought even to reach the park they need to hike. Lets wait for the OA then.

vannbj wrote:
ezhilkumarank, yeah that does make sense. i just assumed that experiment and expedition were supposed to be the same word but the person typing them messed up. assuming that, only E makes sense. If that isn't the case then there should be two right answers A and E.

Fine, I will wait for the OA to be posted. However more importantly I wanted to share my thoughts to ensure that I mentally fine tune myself to the GMAT RC wavelength since I often read that one should not bring in new (extra) information in while doing RC and CR questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
OA is E.Even i went for A.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
The answer is E. The leader's conclusion is that unless more water is obtained they have to delay the hike. Per the question, we need to find the option which shows that more water is NOT needed or an answer that is out of scope i.e.Irrelevant to the amount of water. So any condition that results in more water being needed supports leader's opinion and any condition that shows that more water is not needed or any condition that is out of scope, does NOT support his opinion: Now looking at the options:

A. Quantity of bottled water that Robert had specified is necessary in order to conduct the scientific experiment that the group had planned to conduct in the park. - Supports leaders opinion. Since the original water amount that Robert said was needed is indeed needed to conduct the experiment, they need more water.
B. Park security personnel will not allow groups to enter unless they have a minimum amount of water per person - Supports leaders opinion. They need more water in order to enter.
C. It is such a hot day that hiking without sufficient water supplies could expose hikers to dehydration and heat stroke.-Supports leaders opinion. They need more water otherwise they will get dehydrated.
D. There are no safe water supplies in the area in which the group plans to hike. - Supports leaders opinion. They need more water since there are no safe water supplies.
E. The person who did not bring enough water also neglected to bring a hat or hiking boots. - Irrelevent. Having a hat or hiking boots has nothing to do with water being needed.

Hence E.Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
I picked E ..straightaway...however after reading the discussions I understand how close was option A ...!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Guys, e is the only ans......A supports the leader's conclusion

"Quantity of bottled water that Robert had specified is necessary in order to conduct the scientific experiment that the group had planned to conduct in the park."-------it means suppose the leader had specified x lit of water ...bt group have right nw x/2 lits..so x lit of water is compulsary for the experiment to perform ...so they will have to bring more water...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
I went for A, but it seems I made a mistake!
conclusion: their hike should be delayed because of lack of enough water.
if apart from water there are some other problems, the conclusion is not that logical.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
E. The person who did not bring enough water also neglected to bring a hat or hiking boots.

Except E, each one logically supports

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts