GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Beginning in 1997, high school seniors in State Q have been required

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
Re: Beginning in 1997, high school seniors in State Q have been required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 05:53
Dear souvik101990, GMATNinja, Other experts,

It took me about 4 minutes to answer this question correctly. My concern is that if a similar question,which involves calculation in every answer choice, comes in the real test should I go for it or make a guess and move on.
Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Beginning in 1997, high school seniors in State Q have been required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 09:08
CaptainJackSparr0w wrote:
Dear souvik101990, GMATNinja, Other experts,

It took me about 4 minutes to answer this question correctly. My concern is that if a similar question,which involves calculation in every answer choice, comes in the real test should I go for it or make a guess and move on.
Thanks in advance.

Don't worry, you will NEVER see a question quite like this on the actual GMAT. I still can't quite figure out if this is trying to be quant, CR, or IR; an actual CR question will never require actual calculation. And as DmitryFarber mentioned above, there are other problems with the question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/beginning-in ... l#p1651655.

Sure, if you get totally stuck on something on your actual test, you'll need to move on. But please don't worry about this particular question, Captain!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: SC & CR Fundamentals | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset | Series 3: Word Problem Bootcamp + Next-Level SC & CR

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 06:49
anyone who don't understand B, it's very easy to understand why not B

lets suppose in 97 there are 0.8x who passed,0.2x who didn't . and in 98 there are 0.72 who passed and y who didn't.
so to satisfy A or B, 0.72x / (0.72x+y) < 0.8 => y> 0.18x in this case, y could be 0.19x that makes the total number < x . or y could be 0.5x , that makes the total senior student number > x ,which is the amount of 97.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 09:24
Can't understand the conclusion and the answer explanations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2019, 05:36
So to make student graduate high school student need to pass an exam
1997 some 20% student failed
In 1998 the result was more bad 10 % “LESS” student pass in comparison to last year ..
So lets assume in 1997 100 high school student were there
1997 ) 80 , 20
1998 ) 72 , X
A ) If this has to be true then there has to be drop in high school student as any thing more then 88 student we cant reach higher %age so thus we can say A is not the least
B ) for this to be true we need passing % to be 79 or less then 79 = so student minimum required is 91 or more .. which makes B as can be or can be not .. defiantly LEAST possible
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2019, 22:04
Let's start with POE-
A. If the percentage of high school seniors who passed the exam increased from 1997 to 1998 , the number of high schools seniors decreased during that time period
This is always true. For example, even if pass %age increases from 80 to 81, the total number of students will decrease.
B. If the percentage of high school seniors who passed the exam decreased from 1997 to 1998 , the number of high schools seniors increased during that time period.
This may or may not be true. By putting values there can be case when it can and cannot be valid. So, can hold on the option.
C. Unless the number of high school seniors was lower in 1998 than in 1997, the number of seniors who passed the exam in 1998 was lower than 80 percent.
This may or may not be true. By putting values there can be case when it can and cannot be valid. So, can hold on the option.
D. If the number of high school seniors who did not pass the exam decreased by more than 10 percent from 1997 to 1998, the percentage of high school seniors who passed the exam in 1998 was greater than 80 percent.
This is definitely true. I think easiest option to eliminate.
E. If the percentage of high school seniors who passed the exam in 1998 was less than 70 percent, the number of high school seniors in 1997 was higher than the number in 1998.
This is always false. If the percentage is even 69.99, still the number of 1997 will not be higher than 1998. Hence this option is correct.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Beginning in 1997, high school seniors in State Q have been required   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2019, 22:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Beginning in 1997, high school seniors in State Q have been required

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics