Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 09:08 It is currently 14 May 2024, 09:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GPA: 3.34
WE:Operations (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]
deepds:

1. I think the GPA cut-off is hard. Even if it's not, a GPA below the cut-off would not be competitive... and you'd need an overall competitive profile to to land an interview invitation.

2. They look at final year alone, not the cGPA of your entire undergrad. Unless that's changed since I graduated...

3. In terms of getting an interview invitation for Rotman, I don't think that there's a significant difference between doing the GMAT or the GRE. However, for recruiting purposes, there are a lot of firms that do not look at you if you haven't done your GMAT. If you want to go into consulting, for instance, it is almost certainly a must to have your GMAT score, and a high one at that.

4. If I'm perfectly honest with you, your profile is spiky. What I mean is that there's only one aspect of your profile that would stand with or above your competition, and that is your work experience. I'd advise you to focus on your work experience in your application to shine more light on it. There's nothing you can do to improve most of your profile now; it's not like you can redo your undergrad to improve your GPA or go back to work to change your work experience. My suggestion: do that GMAT and score 700+. My two cents.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]
tallyho_88 wrote:
deepds wrote:
Hi,

I am an Mba aspirant and Rotman is in my shortlist of preferred schools. I am contemplating applying to R2 of Rotman.

Here is my brief Profile:
Indian Male
UG : B tech Civil Engg - 2009 Passout , IIT Delhi (Top 2 Engineering school in India)
UG - CGPA : 6.5 on the scale of 10 ; 7.1 in Final year(Last 2 Semesters only)
Certifcations : Passed CT-3(Probability and Stochastic) Actuarial exam ; CFA Level 1 Pass (Top bracket in all subjects)
Work Exp : 7+ yrs in Marketing Analytics and Consulting (5+ yrs in Top International Banks) ; Managing a portfolio strategy team, consisting of 4 Data analysts, of cards portfolio in my current role for last 2 years; Had played an instrumental role in setting up an offshore Analytics team(5 members) in the past for an International Bank; 4 yrs of Total experience in leading the teams
Extracurricular : Nothing significant- Used to run Half Marathons in the past ; Have joined Toastmasters during the last month;
GRE : 330 (160 VA + 170 QA) (Equivalent of 750 Gmat , as per the ETS conversion tool)

I am looking to apply for R2 this year but I have a few questions for you regarding the Rotman MBA. It would be immensely helpful if you can share your views on the same.

Q - Is the Min GPA Cutoff of 3.0 (Specified as 7.5 on the scale of 10 for IITs on Rotman website) is a hard (Makes me ineligible to apply) or soft cutoff (Eligible to apply) ?

Q - It is mentioned on Rotman's website that they look at the GPA for final year. Do they mean GPA as on Final year (as in Cumulative GPA , 6.5 in my case) or GPA during the last 2 semesters during the Final year(7.1)

Q - I have read that Rotman accepts both GRE and GMAT. But are their any disadvantages in sending my GRE scores as the B-schools are generally more accustomed to GMAT scores? Should I appear for GMAT too?

Q - Finally , If I am eligible to apply, Can you please share your views on my chances to get an admit for Rotman. And is their particular aspect of my application that you believe I should definitely improve before applying.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers
Deep

I can surely tell you about the GPA thing. they have clearly mentioned for the final year. Regarding the GRE GMAT issue I don't think there is any preference. If I may suggest you should set up a pre application interview, the adcom will give you a clear picture.

Thanks tallyho_88. Will try to set up a session with Rotman. Btw did you explore about the Gpa cut offs for Rotman? They have mentioned it as hard cut offs.. which are definitely on a higher side.. 7.5 for IITs and 8.0 for Non IITs..
If that's the case it would make a significant # of applicants as ineligible to apply.. Thoughts?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
jigglypuff wrote:
deepds:

1. I think the GPA cut-off is hard. Even if it's not, a GPA below the cut-off would not be competitive... and you'd need an overall competitive profile to to land an interview invitation.

2. They look at final year alone, not the cGPA of your entire undergrad. Unless that's changed since I graduated...

3. In terms of getting an interview invitation for Rotman, I don't think that there's a significant difference between doing the GMAT or the GRE. However, for recruiting purposes, there are a lot of firms that do not look at you if you haven't done your GMAT. If you want to go into consulting, for instance, it is almost certainly a must to have your GMAT score, and a high one at that.

4. If I'm perfectly honest with you, your profile is spiky. What I mean is that there's only one aspect of your profile that would stand with or above your competition, and that is your work experience. I'd advise you to focus on your work experience in your application to shine more light on it. There's nothing you can do to improve most of your profile now; it's not like you can redo your undergrad to improve your GPA or go back to work to change your work experience. My suggestion: do that GMAT and score 700+. My two cents.

Hi Jigglypuff,

Thanks a lot for your answers and candid feedback on my profile.
I too agree with your view that my Work ex will probably help in standing out my application.

And regarding GMAT vs GRE..I could understand from your answer that I won't be at any disadvantage with GRE(I.e., a 330 Gre will be considered equivalent to a GMAT 750) as far as the application is concerned. (Please let me know if my understanding is correct?)

So in that case ,since there isn't much time left for R2, I am inclining towards applying with GRE and ,as per your response, then appear for GMAT later for recruitment purposes.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 616
Schools: Tepper '18
Send PM
Rookie84 wrote:
Does anyone know if Rotman accepts an optional essay in addition to the standard essay questions?

Even I was wondering the same. Have you figured something out?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GPA: 3.34
WE:Operations (Health Care)
Send PM
website still isn't working :/
Manager
Manager
Send PM
deepds wrote:
And regarding GMAT vs GRE..I could understand from your answer that I won't be at any disadvantage with GRE(I.e., a 330 Gre will be considered equivalent to a GMAT 750) as far as the application is concerned. (Please let me know if my understanding is correct?)

So in that case ,since there isn't much time left for R2, I am inclining towards applying with GRE and ,as per your response, then appear for GMAT later for recruitment purposes.

I wouldn't know the GRE to GMAT conversion. You'd probably know better since I'm sure you looked into it. All I'm saying is there are target companies who recruit at Rotman who do not look at a candidate who doesn't have a GMAT score. And I'm going to tell you now, once you're in the MBA, you will have zero time to do anything else but the MBA, trust me. So, if you're going to do the GMAT before the MBA, you might as well do it for the application too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All :) I'm seeking some guidance on the eligibility of my application for Rotman 2019 MBA Intake; hoping to apply for R2.
-Female with engineering degree from accredited Canadian University (3.3 final year GPA)
-Acquired P.Eng designation last year after working in the energy sector for 4 years
-Current experience involves technical conceptual design as well as value engineering through cost-benefit analysis
-Hoping to leverage MBA in order to transition more into a business development role
-Extra Curricular: Mentorship program through company for young engineers, yoga, fitness

Taking GMAT exam soon; what is an acceptable score I should aim for?

Any other attributes that would strengthen my application?

Thanks all for any feedback! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
bethebest wrote:
Rookie84 wrote:
Does anyone know if Rotman accepts an optional essay in addition to the standard essay questions?

Yes. I was told that Rotman does accept a personal statement and to upload it in the optional documents section of the application. However, I highly recommend that you contact Rotman adcom and let them know you will be sending an optional essay rather than just uploading it and expecting them to read it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Smileyface123 wrote:
Hi All :) I'm seeking some guidance on the eligibility of my application for Rotman 2019 MBA Intake; hoping to apply for R2.
-Female with engineering degree from accredited Canadian University (3.3 final year GPA)
-Acquired P.Eng designation last year after working in the energy sector for 4 years
-Current experience involves technical conceptual design as well as value engineering through cost-benefit analysis
-Hoping to leverage MBA in order to transition more into a business development role
-Extra Curricular: Mentorship program through company for young engineers, yoga, fitness

Taking GMAT exam soon; what is an acceptable score I should aim for?

Any other attributes that would strengthen my application?

Thanks all for any feedback! :)

Post a thread in this forum and ask admission consultants about your profile: ask-admission-consultants-124/

As far as I can tell, I do not see any problem with your profile as long as your work experience is good (good achievements and promotions) and you can get good recommendations.

For GMAT, you already know the average score of Rotman so you know what to aim for. Every bit above average can only help your chances.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
deepds wrote:
tallyho_88 wrote:
deepds wrote:
Hi,

I am an Mba aspirant and Rotman is in my shortlist of preferred schools. I am contemplating applying to R2 of Rotman.

Here is my brief Profile:
Indian Male
UG : B tech Civil Engg - 2009 Passout , IIT Delhi (Top 2 Engineering school in India)
UG - CGPA : 6.5 on the scale of 10 ; 7.1 in Final year(Last 2 Semesters only)
Certifcations : Passed CT-3(Probability and Stochastic) Actuarial exam ; CFA Level 1 Pass (Top bracket in all subjects)
Work Exp : 7+ yrs in Marketing Analytics and Consulting (5+ yrs in Top International Banks) ; Managing a portfolio strategy team, consisting of 4 Data analysts, of cards portfolio in my current role for last 2 years; Had played an instrumental role in setting up an offshore Analytics team(5 members) in the past for an International Bank; 4 yrs of Total experience in leading the teams
Extracurricular : Nothing significant- Used to run Half Marathons in the past ; Have joined Toastmasters during the last month;
GRE : 330 (160 VA + 170 QA) (Equivalent of 750 Gmat , as per the ETS conversion tool)

I am looking to apply for R2 this year but I have a few questions for you regarding the Rotman MBA. It would be immensely helpful if you can share your views on the same.

Q - Is the Min GPA Cutoff of 3.0 (Specified as 7.5 on the scale of 10 for IITs on Rotman website) is a hard (Makes me ineligible to apply) or soft cutoff (Eligible to apply) ?

Q - It is mentioned on Rotman's website that they look at the GPA for final year. Do they mean GPA as on Final year (as in Cumulative GPA , 6.5 in my case) or GPA during the last 2 semesters during the Final year(7.1)

Q - I have read that Rotman accepts both GRE and GMAT. But are their any disadvantages in sending my GRE scores as the B-schools are generally more accustomed to GMAT scores? Should I appear for GMAT too?

Q - Finally , If I am eligible to apply, Can you please share your views on my chances to get an admit for Rotman. And is their particular aspect of my application that you believe I should definitely improve before applying.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers
Deep

I can surely tell you about the GPA thing. they have clearly mentioned for the final year. Regarding the GRE GMAT issue I don't think there is any preference. If I may suggest you should set up a pre application interview, the adcom will give you a clear picture.

Thanks tallyho_88. Will try to set up a session with Rotman. Btw did you explore about the Gpa cut offs for Rotman? They have mentioned it as hard cut offs.. which are definitely on a higher side.. 7.5 for IITs and 8.0 for Non IITs..
If that's the case it would make a significant # of applicants as ineligible to apply.. Thoughts?

i am not sure about hard cut-offs..that would like seriously put a lot of people out of the picture..but then again low gpa would need to be compensated with outstanding work experience....i too have a low gpa of 6.23...alhtough in the final year i managed to scrape past the 8 mark!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I don't mean to be an ass when saying this, but this is just the harsh reality of it. Unless you have an outstanding work experience and track record at work... if you're worrying about your GPA, then your GPA is not competitive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 3: 690 Q43 V41
GPA: 2.3
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
jigglypuff wrote:
I don't mean to be an ass when saying this, but this is just the harsh reality of it. Unless you have an outstanding work experience and track record at work... if you're worrying about your GPA, then your GPA is not competitive.

I did not understand last statement, GPA is not competitive in his case or in general if below cut off ? Would a decent GMAT score offset below average GPA ?

Would working for a government company have any negative effect reflected in work experienced ? (from India)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Hello,
I'm Looking to apply before Round 2. I'm just worried about my GPA which is ~2.6 during my last year. I haven't written the GMAT just yet, but I do have my CFA completed which waives the requirement. I'm just curious as to how much GMAT can help my application given my GPA and CFA? Can I apply before taking the GMAT and submit my score later (before all rounds are complete?)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Rookie84 wrote:
bethebest wrote:
Rookie84 wrote:

Yes. I was told that Rotman does accept a personal statement and to upload it in the optional documents section of the application. However, I highly recommend that you contact Rotman adcom and let them know you will be sending an optional essay rather than just uploading it and expecting them to read it.

Thank you. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 605 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Hello Guys!!

I am facing some issues at Kira Talent. Rotman's portal for Video Essays.

The "Start Interview" tab is dead and in a deactivated state despite successful device setup, latest Chrome/ Firefox, and Adobe Flash, and high broadband connectivity. I am not able to start the video interview.

I am wondering whether I am missing out on any step after the setup (i am sure most likely not). Can anyone please share your experience? I mean did anyone of you face the same problem.

Regards

Amit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
itzmyzone911 wrote:
Hello Guys!!

I am facing some issues at Kira Talent. Rotman's portal for Video Essays.

The "Start Interview" tab is dead and in a deactivated state despite successful device setup, latest Chrome/ Firefox, and Adobe Flash, and high broadband connectivity. I am not able to start the video interview.

I am wondering whether I am missing out on any step after the setup (i am sure most likely not). Can anyone please share your experience? I mean did anyone of you face the same problem.

Regards

Amit

I'm facing the same issue. Cannot start the interview. :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
I had submitted my TOEFL scores a week back, but after submitting the application, the website shows that my TOEFL scores are yet to be received. Anybody else facing the same issue?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts