Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 17:09 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 17:09
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Yale and Darden Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 670 Q51 V28
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Corporate Finance (Hospitality and Tourism)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: Sloan '26 (A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GRE 1: Q163 V162
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 4: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Yale SOM MBA Applicants: 2024 Intake Class of 2026 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
mine was in no way related to Yale nor its values

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEairZ9PVbs

27:00
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q155 V160
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ViktorBreadKrum wrote:
Hey everyone. I know most of you from R1 are concentrating on your decision outcomes but maybe my question will help provide some distraction 😋

When answering the essay questions, do you try to tie in your career goals and SOM even though it might appear to be slightly unrelated to the question?

For example, I saw an example essay from one of the major MBA admissions consulting companies on the "biggest commitment" question. The example did answer the question but then also veered into how the applicant's values tied in with Yale's and then went on to describe the role of Yale in their future career.

To me it seemed like they tried to force their answer into that box but it seems the applicant was admitted anyway. Would any successful admits have an opinion here?

I'm a bundle of nerves right now because Yale was a major reach school for me given my scores (I'm mentally preparing myself that I won't get in still because of them).

With that said, I think what set me apart was most likely my essay, but please take my experience with a grain of salt!

I only wrote about "why Yale" in the smaller career essay. I didn't write anything specific about the program or getting an MBA in my actual "commitment" essay....However, I did some MAJOR introspection for it (i.e. I was bawling my eyes out while writing it) - almost every part of my life does revolve around that commitment.

I'm an ORM coming from an impact investing / social enterprise background.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Well, I tried to make my fit with Yale values explicit, without stating it directly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Send PM
dbcoupie123 wrote:
mine was in no way related to Yale nor its values

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEairZ9PVbs

27:00

Knew I should have finished that video 😅 Thanks for your input!

Edit: Just watched the video and it's clear they didn't want the force-fit, hence the essay changes this year. Glad I asked my question here, and I appreciate your help linking the video.

Originally posted by ViktorBreadKrum on 04 Dec 2023, 12:13.
Last edited by ViktorBreadKrum on 04 Dec 2023, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ThrivingWind wrote:
ViktorBreadKrum wrote:
Hey everyone. I know most of you from R1 are concentrating on your decision outcomes but maybe my question will help provide some distraction 😋

When answering the essay questions, do you try to tie in your career goals and SOM even though it might appear to be slightly unrelated to the question?

For example, I saw an example essay from one of the major MBA admissions consulting companies on the "biggest commitment" question. The example did answer the question but then also veered into how the applicant's values tied in with Yale's and then went on to describe the role of Yale in their future career.

To me it seemed like they tried to force their answer into that box but it seems the applicant was admitted anyway. Would any successful admits have an opinion here?

I'm a bundle of nerves right now because Yale was a major reach school for me given my scores (I'm mentally preparing myself that I won't get in still because of them).

With that said, I think what set me apart was most likely my essay, but please take my experience with a grain of salt!

I only wrote about "why Yale" in the smaller career essay. I didn't write anything specific about the program or getting an MBA in my actual "commitment" essay....However, I did some MAJOR introspection for it (i.e. I was bawling my eyes out while writing it) - almost every part of my life does revolve around that commitment.

I'm an ORM coming from an impact investing / social enterprise background.

Fingers crossed for you! I think I remember your profile from the Decision Tracker and I can see a clear reason why SOM would have you in the class :)

I'm finding my experience similar to yours re the essays. I switched degrees after my first year and whilst it's a major concern for me because my results that year were awful, I'm actually using the opportunity to leverage the challenging experience for the essay.

I'm inclined to avoid shoving the fit part into the main essay and will follow your advice about where I could describe the "why Yale" part.

Thanks for your help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Hi All, is there any evidence of Yale admitting people after being waitlisted without an interview? Just checking if I should consider this a ding even if I get waitlisted tomorrow (didn't get an interview)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBA_Asp_2026 wrote:
Hi All, is there any evidence of Yale admitting people after being waitlisted without an interview? Just checking if I should consider this a ding even if I get waitlisted tomorrow (didn't get an interview)

Someone who's been in that position would probably be better-positioned to provide specific feedback so feel free to disregard mine if they appear.

From what I've read in other B-School's forums, such as Kellogg's, it's usually unlikely that you'll get an admit after a waitlist without an interview because it would mean your profile is strong enough that they can admit you without one very big part of the application process and a chance to know you better. Check out this response here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... l#p3300641

I wouldn't give up hope for sure, but if you get an admit from another decent school then I also wouldn't put too much effort into converting Yale at the expense of the other.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
good luck today everyone, the waiting will be over soon
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GRE 1: Q165 V162
GPA: 9.1
Send PM
Kudos
I think I’m in that sweet place where I am ready to accept whatever comes my way. My cycle so far has not gone according to plan at all. I’ve somehow just accepted it. Just 1 school interviewed me and that was not by invite :(
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
thirusun wrote:
I think I’m in that sweet place where I am ready to accept whatever comes my way. My cycle so far has not gone according to plan at all. I’ve somehow just accepted it. Just 1 school interviewed me and that was not by invite :(

Got the call?? Congrats
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GRE 1: Q165 V162
GPA: 9.1
Send PM
Nope, I think I miscommunicated. I meant to say that I had just the one interview and it was from a school that does not do interview invites. I have not heard from schools like Yale. So, I have just accepted my outcome

Hope you get the call though!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
It is not the end until you give up
Hope you good luck!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8971 [0]
Given Kudos: 3039
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
All the best everyone for the decisions.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
ViktorBreadKrum wrote:
MBA_Asp_2026 wrote:

Someone who's been in that position would probably be better-positioned to provide specific feedback so feel free to disregard mine if they appear.

From what I've read in other B-School's forums, such as Kellogg's, it's usually unlikely that you'll get an admit after a waitlist without an interview because it would mean your profile is strong enough that they can admit you without one very big part of the application process and a chance to know you better. Check out this response here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... l#p3300641

I wouldn't give up hope for sure, but if you get an admit from another decent school then I also wouldn't put too much effort into converting Yale at the expense of the other.

Thank You for the detailed explanation!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
what time are the decisions expected today?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
Any updates yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]