It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 23:11
egmat wrote:
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi,

I took this argument in a causative fashion, where conclusion says , Rubbing of Milipeds leads to Protection against Mosquitoes, So X leads to Y . Cant a alternate cause could be possible answer to this question,which is mention in option E.

Please correct me where I'm wrong?

Thanks

Hi Nitin,

If you thought that the argument here is "X leads to Y", then you shouldn't have marked an alternate cause as a weakener.

Please visit this article to understand where an alternate cause is a weakener and where it is not :)

alternate-cause-a-weakener-or-not-155034.html#p1240789

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Can we conclude that if an additional premise states that monkeys use ONLY the mills on the fur...then E could be a potential answer..
We now know that we have other potential sources of repellents but the monkeys use ONLY the mills..so it must be for some other additional reasons like..personal liking or availability..

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 139

e-GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 49

Schools: ISB '16, NUS '15
Reviews Badge
Re: Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 00:00
Ohh i Got it ,the conclusion falls under the category where the even is likely to happen ,that means alternative cause cant be weakener.

Manager
Manager

Schools: ISB '16, NUS '15
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 00:28
Hi ,

One thing more i need to clarify here is i'm not able to apply the variance test in option D.

D. Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season
Saying Yes ,means due to readily availablity of milipeds during rainy season would strengthen the argument as they are rubbing to protech from mosiquotoes.

And Saying No, means they are available all the time ,so this would weaken the argument as Monkey rubbing could be for some other purpose or this would weaken the argument as Monkey can rub the millipeds not especially rainy time.

So my confusion is while saying no to option D, how does it weaken the argument.

Thanks

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 21:49
egmat wrote:
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi,

I took this argument in a causative fashion, where conclusion says , Rubbing of Milipeds leads to Protection against Mosquitoes, So X leads to Y . Cant a alternate cause could be possible answer to this question,which is mention in option E.

Please correct me where I'm wrong?

Thanks

Hi Nitin,

If you thought that the argument here is "X leads to Y", then you shouldn't have marked an alternate cause as a weakener.

Please visit this article to understand where an alternate cause is a weakener and where it is not :)

alternate-cause-a-weakener-or-not-155034.html#p1240789

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Hi Chiranjeev,

Can I apply variance test on this?

Can you please let me know how variance test can be applied on this?

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1077 [0], given: 548

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9285 [0], given: 341

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 20:21
Quote:
Hi ,

One thing more i need to clarify here is i'm not able to apply the variance test in option D.

D. Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season
Saying Yes ,means due to readily availablity of milipeds during rainy season would strengthen the argument as they are rubbing to protech from mosiquotoes.

And Saying No, means they are available all the time ,so this would weaken the argument as Monkey rubbing could be for some other purpose or this would weaken the argument as Monkey can rub the millipeds not especially rainy time.

So my confusion is while saying no to option D, how does it weaken the argument.

Thanks

Hi Nitin,

Here is my bit on this:

Your idea of applying variance test seems good i.e. you seem to know that the variance test when applied to the correct choice here will yield two answers: Yes and No. One of these answers will increase your belief in the conclusion and the other will decrease the same. However, your application of the test isn't correct. In fact, you've interpreted the effect of the variance test in an opposite manner here. To understand the same, please consider the following:

The conclusion is drawn regarding the rubbing behavior of these monkeys in a specific season. The author says that they do so because it helps protect these monkeys against the mosquitoes since this behaviour is rare except in the rainy season when the mosquito populations are at their peak. Our job in this question is to find one answer choice that will yield information helpful in evaluating the proposed argument. Accordingly, let's look at option D

If yes- Rainy season is the only time millipedes are readily available.

As you have rightly pointed out, this choice talks about the availability of millipedes. If the answer to this question is Yes, the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season then our belief in the argument is decreased. If millipedes are available to these monkeys only in the rainy season, then they can't rub them in other seasons. In other words, the non-availability of millipedes in other seasons may limit the rubbing behaviour of monkeys to only rainy season. This information suggests that they don't have a 'choice'. Hence, in this case, rubbing behavior may not be linked with the increase in the mosquito population during the rainy season Thus, a “yes” to the question posed in choice D weakens the conclusion that protection against mosquitoes is the only reason for rubbing behavior in rainy season.

Quote:

Thanks

If No- Rainy season is NOT the only time millipedes are readily available.

Now, we move on to the other end of the spectrum. This time we answer the question by saying No rainy season is not the only time when the millipedes are readily available to these monkeys. Together with the information given in the passage, we know that even though the millipedes are easily available in other seasons, the rubbing behaviour of these monkeys is rare except in rainy season when mosquito population is at peak. This information suggests that the monkeys choose to rub millipedes during a specific time period, increasing our belief in the conclusion that monkeys probably rub millipedes into their fur only because doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes.

In all, when we apply the Variance test to choice D, a 'yes' weakens the argument and a ‘no’ strengthens the same.

Does this help?

Dolly.

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9285 [0], given: 341

Manager
Manager
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 257

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2014, 19:42
Argument says that the reasons monkey rub millepede is due to protect themselves from mosquitoes during rainy season. D if answered Yes/No will make or break the conclusion.

Answer: D

quiet888 wrote:
Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede into their fur. Secretions of these millipedes have been shown to contain two chemicals that are potent mosquito repellents, and mosquitoes carry parasites that debilitate the capuchins. The rubbing behavior is rare except during the rainy season, when mosquito populations are at their peak. Therefore monkeys probably rub millipedes into their fur only because doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes.
Which of the following would be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument.

A) Whether the two chemicals provide any protection for millipedes against their own repellents.
B) Whether the type of millipede used by the capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world.
C) Whether animals other than capuchins rub insects of any kind into their fur
D) Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season
E) Whether secretions of any other insects accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes"

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 257

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 71

GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE: Consulting (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2015, 21:08
I chose E...if there are other insects that can do the same thing, then there has to be another reason (even if it is sub-conscious)

Key word is "only"

Therefore monkeys probably rub millipedes into their fur onlybecause doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes.

MY GMAT BLOG - ADVICE - OPINIONS - ANALYSIS

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 71

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 43

GMAT Date: 11-01-2014

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2015, 06:41
D can only be the possible answer.....

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 43

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 11:18
quiet888 wrote:
Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede into their fur. Secretions of these millipedes have been shown to contain two chemicals that are potent mosquito repellents, and mosquitoes carry parasites that debilitate the capuchins. The rubbing behavior is rare except during the rainy season, when mosquito populations are at their peak. Therefore monkeys probably rub millipedes into their fur only because doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes.
Which of the following would be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument.

A) Whether the two chemicals provide any protection for millipedes against their own repellents.
B) Whether the type of millipede used by the capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world.
C) Whether animals other than capuchins rub insects of any kind into their fur
D) Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season
E) Whether secretions of any other insects accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes"

For me, the key to solve CR questions is to put myself in the argument. And, it doesn't harm to think of myself as Capuchin monkey to get the answer right :P

The argument concludes that CM rubs millepedes into its fur to protect against mosquitos. This behavior of rubbing is rare in seasons other than rainy season, when mosquitos are at the peak.

A) Whether the two chemicals provide any protection for millipedes against their own repellents. We are looking for an option that shows weather CM rubs millepedes to protect against mosquitos.
B) Whether the type of millipede used by the capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world. It does'nt matter
C) Whether animals other than capuchins rub insects of any kind into their fur. We are concerned about CM
D) Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season. We got it! what if millepedes are available readily only during rainy season. Then CM gets to rub millipedes frequently during rainy season only. Availability can be the reason that CM rubs millipedes and not the mosquito presence. Or it could be to repel mosquito
E) Whether secretions of any other insects accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes. Not concerned about other insects.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 69

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 542 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 11:55
Capuchins rub millipedes that secrete mosquito repellants.
Rubbing happens in rainy season when mosquitos are high in number

Conclusion: Hence rubbing is done to protect against mosquitos.
We need to evaluate this conclusion.

Of the given options, only D talks about an alternate reason of rubbing of millipedes.
Option E talks about some other way in which the capuchins can ward of insects. Great, now they have two ways. But this does not hinder the capuchins from using millipedes as well. Hence this is out of scope.

Correct Option: D

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 542 [0], given: 23

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 11:15

A) Whether the two chemicals provide any protection for millipedes against their own repellents. -Argument is about monekys
B) Whether the type of millipede used by the capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world. -We are not worried about the various places where we can find them
C) Whether animals other than capuchins rub insects of any kind into their fur -We are not worried about other animals
D) Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season -CORRECT
E) Whether secretions of any other insects accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes We are not worried about other insects

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 88

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 11:54
quiet888 wrote:

CAUSAL ARGUMENT :

During Rainy Season --> Higher Mosquito Population, More Rubbing Behavior --> CORRELATION
There comes causation --> Therefore monkeys probably rub millipedes into their fur only because doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes. This is even the CONCLUSION of this argument.

(A) Whether the two chemicals provide any protection for millipedes against their own repellents.
YES -- the two chemicals provide some protection for millipedes against their own repellents. This does NOT affect the conclusion at all. INCORRECT.

(B) Whether the type of millipede used by the capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world.
YES -- the type of millipede used by capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world. This again does NOT affect the conclusion at all. INCORRECT.

(C) Whether animals other than capuchins rub insects of any kind into their fur
YES -- the animals other than capuchins rub insects of some kind into their fur. SO, HOW WILL THAT AFFECT THE RUBBING BEHAVIOR OF CAPUCHINS. Totally, non-sensical.

Thus, we can see options A, B, and C are totally irrelevant.

(D) Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season
YES- the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season : THIS BREAKS THE CONCLUSION. If that was the case then what about the other seasons?? How will the capuchins protect themselves against the mosquitos if millipedes are not available to them, when they are using millipedes (ONLY BECAUSE) for rubbing as a protection measure. The CAUSATION is weakened.

NO - the millipedes are readily available to capuchins not only during the rainy season (implies -- the millipedes are available in other seasons as well): THIS SUPPORTS THE CONCLUSION. Capuchins use millipedes ONLY BECAUSE for protection against the mosquitoes. CAUSATION is strengthened.

(E) Whether secretions of any other insects accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes.
YES - the secretions of some other insects are accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes. BUT how does that even matter to our conclusion at hand. It does not affect the CAUSATION at all. The conclusion is exclusively related to the rubbing of millipedes as a protection measure. So, even if some other insects which are accesible to capuchins and contains the mosquito repellant chemicals, would not be useful to evaluate. INCORRECT.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 88

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 12:40

(A) Whether the two chemicals provide any protection for millipedes against their own repellents. has nothing to do with capuchins. Irrelevant

(B) Whether the type of millipede used by the capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world. So what if the millipede is found in other parts of the world. How would that affect the argument

(C) Whether animals other than capuchins rub insects of any kind into their fur Irrelevant to the argument. Similar to A.

(D) Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season The author claims that the capuchins must rub millipedes to protect against mosquitoes, and that this behavior is rare except during the rainy season when mosquitoes are abundant. Maybe the behavior is rare for other reasons e.g. millipedes might be available only in the rainy season? If this is true, this undermines the conclusion. If millipedes are available all year round, but capuchins only rub them into their furs only in the rainy season when mosquitoes are abundant, that strengthens the argument

(E) Whether secretions of any other insects accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes Again irrelevant.

Kudos if you like the answer :-)

Give me kudos and see what happens to your GMAT score :-)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede in   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2017, 12:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap