Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [57]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [9]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [6]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: MBA - Strategy, Operations & General Management
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 650  Q49  V29 GMAT 3: 650  Q47  V33
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
understudy wrote:
Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because they have opposed government action to limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe. However, these same oil companies have also invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of climate change.

Which of the following best explains the apparent discrepancy in the situation described above?

(A) The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.

(B) The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies that might be used to combat global warming.

(C) The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.

(D) The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.

(E) The oil companies don't believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their interests.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The passage describes an apparent discrepancy. On the one hand oil companies undermine scientific research that portrays global warming as a severe problem, presumably because this research will lead to government action that might harm the companies' profits. On the other hand, these same companies invest millions of dollars in climate change research. The correct answer must provide a motive for the companies to invest in certain research related to global warming.

(A) This choice establishes a time frame for when the oil companies began investing research dollars. However, it does not provide a reason as to why they would make this investment.

(B) CORRECT. This choice provides a motive for companies to invest in global warming research. If the research is specifically geared at developing technologies used to combat global warming, this research represents a long-term strategy for finding new ways for the companies to profit. This is in contrast with the research that the oil companies oppose - research focused on the severity and immediacy of the issue, a focus which might lead to government action that could have a negative impact on the profitability of the oil companies in the short term.

(C) The fact that the government action would negatively affect the oil companies explains why they would oppose this scientific research. It does not provide a reason why they would also invest in scientific research related to global warming.

(D) The fact that the scientific data related to the severity of global warming is not definitive does not provide a reason as to why oil companies would invest millions of dollars in research that accepts that global warming will have long-term affects.

(E) If oil companies didn't believe that any scientific research related to climate change will serve their interests, there would be no reason for them to invest any money in such research.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Re: Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A,C and E>>i think are irrelevant.

was stuck b/w B and D....

i go for B...OA plzzz.. :?:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
IMO B, OA please??

While D might be tempting, it will not help answer both the contradictory premises. 1) Undermining Government by saying that the global warming is severe 2) spending millions of dollars in research in long term effect of climate change

B will answer both of these discripiencies, since companies still do not change their position from undermining govt, at the same time invest money on further research.
The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies that might be used to combat global warming.

D) The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven. - this will give us the reason for the "undermining of govt" but doesnt give a reason for companies to invest.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 978 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
my choice too was B

To begin its easy to boil down to two options B & E. in case of E its says that companies believe that NO scientific research wold be beneficial. this is too extreme poison which does not correspond with argument that they invest in research for long term effects . . else why would they invest. so this option does not work.

now we are left with B and that's the answer. (though justifying B is a bit difficult, process of elimination worked for me)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 553 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
 Q48  V35
Send PM
aditi1903 wrote:
Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because they have opposed government action to
limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe. However, these
same oil companies have also invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of
climate change. Which of the following best explains the apparent discrepancy in the situation described above?
• The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.
• The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies
that might be used to combat global warming.
• The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.
• The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.
• The oil companies don’t believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their
interests.

Give explainations please

I had to chose b/w B and D, and I think D is better, any thoughts, anyone?
How do I eliminate D?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
hermit84 wrote:
aditi1903 wrote:
Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because they have opposed government action to
limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe. However, these
same oil companies have also invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of
climate change. Which of the following best explains the apparent discrepancy in the situation described above?
• The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.
• The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies
that might be used to combat global warming.
• The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.
• The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.
• The oil companies don’t believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their
interests.

Give explainations please

I had to chose b/w B and D, and I think D is better, any thoughts, anyone?
How do I eliminate D?

hermit84 - question asks us to explains the apparent discrepancy? So what's the discrepancy? companies have invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of climate change BUT they have opposed government action to limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe
so the correct answer should tie both sides of the argument i.e give us a rational as to why company did both the stuff, which is sort of contradictory to begin with. Now Option D says "The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven" Does it answer why Companies oppose the G's research - NO? Does it answer why they invested in their own research ? - NO so this is Out of scope...
Even if this answer choice answers 1 of the question also it CANNOT BE the correct answer, as the right answer should EXPLAIN BOTH SIDES, which is very important!

please let me know in case of any questions... cheers
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts