Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 02:12 It is currently 08 May 2024, 02:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Stratus Admissions Counseling
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: Sloan '22
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GRE 1: Q170 V162
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Everyone! I came across this very interesting thread and I also would like to know my chances of getting into the top B-Schools (Harvard, Wharton, Yale, MIT). Im interested in the 2-year MBA programs across these schools.

Background and nationality: I am a male Indonesian who got very lucky to be able to experience an undergrad education in the U.S. After graduation, I come back to Indonesia to pursue my passion in Finance.
Undergrad Information: Univ. of Illinois Urbana - Champaign majoring in Finance 3.60/4.00 GPA, senior position in an investment club
GMAT: 700
Work experience and leadership: 4 years of experience in the consumer products industry, 1 year in food consumer products (got promoted 6-months in), 3 years in Philip Morris International (tobacco, got a promotion and multiple employee awards, foreign-country assignments to Pakistan & China to represent my division)
Community and others: Leadership position of my local community table tennis association, swimming instructor for children (in the past), passionate in stock value investing (been investing for a long time with decent CAGR returns)
Post MBA goals: I want to pivot and pursue my passion in investments (thinking of getting into GIC, Blackrock, Temasek)

Let me know if you need more information :D
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
dangerduck wrote:
Hi Everyone! I came across this very interesting thread and I also would like to know my chances of getting into the top B-Schools (Harvard, Wharton, Yale, MIT). Im interested in the 2-year MBA programs across these schools.

Background and nationality: I am a male Indonesian who got very lucky to be able to experience an undergrad education in the U.S. After graduation, I come back to Indonesia to pursue my passion in Finance.
Undergrad Information: Univ. of Illinois Urbana - Champaign majoring in Finance 3.60/4.00 GPA, senior position in an investment club
Work experience and leadership: 4 years of experience in the consumer products industry, 1 year in food consumer products (got promoted 6-months in), 3 years in Philip Morris International (tobacco, got a promotion and multiple employee awards, foreign-country assignments to Pakistan & China to represent my division)
Community and others: Leadership position of my local community table tennis association, swimming instructor for children (in the past), passionate in stock value investing (been investing for a long time with decent CAGR returns)
Post MBA goals: I want to pivot and pursue my passion in investments (thinking of getting into GIC, Blackrock, Temasek)

Hi dangerduck,

Thanks for sharing your profile and MBA aspirations.

My name is Priyanka, Client Manager at ARINGO. You have a very interesting profile! From what I can see:

Academics – Bachelors done from a reputed international school with a good GPA are positive points. 😊

GMAT - Well, 700 is a fine score but the class average of your target schools a bit higher. You can check the same here: https://www.aringo.com/top-mba-programs/ Since you have other merits in your profile and come from different geography, we would need to leverage that in your MBA essays to make a stronger case.

Work Experience –You have strong work experience in multiple industries with promotions. Having worked with international clients will give an additional advantage. We would like to see your CV to have a better idea of the impact of the work done by you.

Extracurricular activities/Volunteer Work – Interesting extracurriculars- table tennis, swimming instructor, stock value investment, investment club, etc. Any volunteer work.

Your career goals - Your career goals look fine but will be able to give more insights once you share your CV and we are able to do justice with the shift.

All in all sounds like you have a good profile! If you send me your CV and other info on PRIYANKAK@ARINGO.com, I would love to connect you with our CEO who will be happy to help further with a detailed review and perhaps work together on some amazing apps.

All the best. :)
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi dangerduck,

You’ve got an interesting profile with good work experience. Talking about your stats, your undergrad GPA is excellent, with a decent GMAT score. The average GMAT of the schools you're interested in is 20 points up to yours. If you believe that you can do more, you can take another chance. Otherwise, just strive to bring out good stories. The combination of your undergraduate GPA and GMAT score is already demonstrating your academic potential.

On the work front, from the details you have provided, I can see a good career progression. You must bring out instances highlighting that you’ve performed better than your peers in the past. You will need to bring forward what you've learned from the roles and responsibilities you have undertaken. Try to dig deeper into your work experience, and I’m sure you'll find some amazing stories to share in your apps, which will make your apps stronger.

Your community experience is also impressive! They emphasise the presence of leadership abilities and are worth mentioning in your essays. Additionally, talk about any hobbies you pursue now or things you like to do in your spare time; this will add diversity to your profile. About your post-MBA goal, you must showcase your passion for finance and investment. Speak about your accomplishments and experience in this field to convince the adcoms that you are confident in your goals. Also, explain how the particular B-school can help you achieve your goal. As you are applying to different B-schools, you will need to optimise your essays following the respective B-school values.

If you are looking for other b-schools such as INSEAD, HEC and IMD and want to get better insights into what the schools look for and how you can better strategise your application, you can look into this session. It's on 27th March, and it's a personalised session to help you assess your chances.

Overall, you have a good profile. I'd like to know some significant highlights of your work experience (such as impact, roles, and responsibilities) to gauge how we can create outstanding stories and help you stand out from other applicants in the pool.

If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and give you a more realistic assessment. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

dangerduck wrote:

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hi you all, evaluating my chances at Harvard:

Female chemical engineer from India. 27 years old at the time of application
Work ex: 5 years (time of application)
Industry: Oil and Gas
Company: Fortune 100 company
GMAT: 730
GPA: 9.16/10

Current job profile: Technical consultant with immense international experience across APAC, EMEA. Single point of contact at client sites for my company. Responsible to successfully deliver a project at the client site.

Goals: looking to continue in the energy industry with a better understanding and know-how of the business. Knowing the ins and outs of this industry, I’m hoping to enter back into the industry with the aim of participating in the movement of sustainability and digitalization...long term be in a leadership position.

ECA: Immense NGO participation, youth conferences, speaker and MC at office events. Many activities during college time too.

What do you think?

Posted from my mobile device
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
fringegirl wrote:

Current job profile: Technical consultant with immense international experience across APAC, EMEA. Single point of contact at client sites for my company. Responsible to successfully deliver a project at the client site.

Goals: looking to continue in the energy industry with a better understanding and know-how of the business. Knowing the ins and outs of this industry, I’m hoping to enter back into the industry with the aim of participating in the movement of sustainability and digitalization...long term be in a leadership position.

ECA: Immense NGO participation, youth conferences, speaker and MC at office events. Many activities during college time too.

What do you think?

Hello fringegirl,

Thank you for sharing. Personal MBA Coach happens to have a client testimonial video featuring a female Indian applicant from the oil and gas industry who we helped get into Harvard Business School a few years ago!

Something that was really key to her application success was being able to effectively communicate what value she provided to those who are unfamiliar with the industry (as it is a rather unique business).

Looking at your profile, you have a solid GMAT and GPA. A lot is riding on how you articulate your MBA goals, personal story, etc. These are key components to our comprehensive services. Feel free to take a look to learn how we can help boost your candidacy.

Do not hesitate to reach out to scott@personalmbacoach.com if you would like to further discuss your profile.

Best,
Personal MBA Coach
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi fringegirl,

Thanks for sharing your profile. Your profile looks good on the surface. Talking about your stats, they are amazing. Your GPA shows your academic competency, and with 730 GMAT, you are on the safer ground. The average GMAT score for Harvard is 730, so this part is pretty sorted for you.

On the work front, your work experience seems good with international experience and elements of leadership and initiatives. You will need to bring stories with impact. Try to dig out the most amazing Unique selling point about you (which doesn't necessarily be from your professional life), which will make up for your spike factor. Try to bring a good blend of the professional and personal self to bring a person in your application. I would like to know some significant aspects of your work experience (such as impact, career progression) to guide you accordingly.

Talking about your ECs, they are good and will definitely help you add an interesting perspective to your overall profile. Your post-MBA goals are in alignment with your prior work experience. Also, to give you some context, we have a hundred per cent conversion rate for people from oil&gas to Top US and Europe schools. You may want to read one of the successful essays to INSEAD. It will help you give a good idea about your chances to HARVARD and will instil “right” confidence in you :)

If you are looking for other b-schools such as INSEAD, HEC and IMD and want to get better insights into what the schools look for and how you can better strategise your application, you can look into this session. It's on 27th March, and it's a personalised session to help you assess your chances.

Overall, you have a good profile. You need to connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from the pool of applicants. If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and give you a more realistic assessment. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Testimonials

fringegirl wrote:

What do you think?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hello!

Looking for feedback on chances for HBS. I love Boston, and it would be my top choice if I got the chance to attend.

Profile:
White Male, 26
GMAT - 770 (Q48 V48)

Education:
Princeton graduate, Philosophy Major Comp. Sci/Entrepreneurship Minors
GPA: 3.3 / 4.0 (3.6 major gpa, 3.6 junior/senior years gpa)

Work-Experience (4 years):
Entrepreneurship/Venture backed company experience
- 1 year CEO of angel (~250k) funded company I founded, close to raising a seed round, ended up folding
- 1 year working directly with the VP of marketing for a funded startup. Was there when they raised 10m A round off great sales.
- Current: 2 years as Director of Biz Dev for a technology consulting firm. One of two business people in 20 person company

International Exposure:
- Little exposure outside of a choir tour to South Africa in college

Extra-curriculars:
Very involved in Rock Climbing, climb 4+ times per week
Profitable trader in the crypto, forex, and options markets with self developed quantitative strategies (trading 6+ figures)

College:
Treasurer of Climbing Team, 2 years
President/Captain of Club Squash Team, 2 years
Leader of Freshman orientation week long wilderness trips, 3 years
Member 100 person classical choir, international tour, 10 hrs per week

Post College:
Community choir
Rock climbing (Still 4+ times per week)
Alumni Interviewer for Princeton
Competitive Gaming (top 1% of players in 3 large competitive games)

Why MBA?
- I'm very interested in business ethics, and I wrote my 75 page undergraduate ethics thesis on the topic. I'd like a more formal business education to understand how to best make business more ethical. Benefit companies are also of interest, and I'd love to learn more about those. This I think is my main hook and is a very genuine interest of mine long term.
- I'm almost entirely self taught in my investing, and I think I could benefit greatly from a formal investing/finance education
- I'd like to found a company again (founded one out of undergraduate), and B School is a great place to search for co-founders
- My favorite classes in undergrad were entrepreneurship classes that used HBS case studies

Post MBA aspirations:

- Short term: Either found a company or join a successful B corporation like Patagonia in a general management role
- Long term: Have an impact driven Venture Capital fund and be a thought leader on business ethics and ethical investing

Would like your thoughts on what I can best do to present myself most strongly.

Thanks!
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
disctrader wrote:
Hello!

Looking for feedback on chances for HBS. I love Boston, and it would be my top choice if I got the chance to attend.

Profile:
White Male, 26
GMAT - 770 (Q48 V48)

Education:

- 1 year CEO of angel (~250k) funded company I founded, close to raising a seed round, ended up folding
- 1 year working directly with the VP of marketing for a funded startup. Was there when they raised 10m A round off great sales.
- Current: 2 years as Director of Biz Dev for a technology consulting firm. One of two business people in 20 person company

International Exposure:

Extra-curriculars:
Profitable trader in the crypto, forex, and options markets with self developed quantitative strategies (trading 6+ figures)

College:

Post College:
Community choir

Why MBA?
- I'm very interested in business ethics, and I wrote my 75 page undergraduate ethics thesis on the topic. I'd like a more formal business education to understand how to best make business more ethical. Benefit companies are also of interest, and I'd love to learn more about those. This I think is my main hook and is a very genuine interest of mine long term.
- I'm almost entirely self taught in my investing, and I think I could benefit greatly from a formal investing/finance education
- I'd like to found a company again (founded one out of undergraduate), and B School is a great place to search for co-founders
- My favorite classes in undergrad were entrepreneurship classes that used HBS case studies

Post MBA aspirations:

- Short term: Either found a company or join a successful B corporation like Patagonia in a general management role
- Long term: Have an impact driven Venture Capital fund and be a thought leader on business ethics and ethical investing

Thanks!

Hi disctrader,

Thanks for sharing your profile and MBA aspirations.

My name is Priyanka, Client Manager at ARINGO.

You have a very interesting profile! From what I can see:

Academics/GMAT: Graduate from Princeton with a good GPA and a GMAT score of 770 is WOW!

Work Experience: You have a very different experience which is good! Working at senior positions in venture-funded business and for Biz Dev must have given you ample opportunities to showcase your leadership and managerial skills (the traits HBS value the most😊). We recommend you preparing an impactful resume quantifying the results, leadership skills, etc.(like when the company raised 10m) and showing the career trajectory.

Extracurricular activities: Rock climbing, Community Choir (ensure including your international exposure, as well), Profitable Trader, Alumni Interviewer- You definitely have it all! Any NGO experience?

Your career goals - Your career goals look fine as this connects the dots of your story but will be able to give more insights once you share your CV and provide more details about the work done so far. Also, your essays should talk about your passion for ethical business practices and the steps taken by you so far towards achieving the same.

You surely have a good case for HBS and your profile syncs well. Please visit the link for more details about Harvard Business School https://www.aringo.com/harvard-business-school-mba/.

If you send me your CV and other info on PRIYANKAK@ARINGO.com, I would love to connect you with our CEO who will be happy to help further with a detailed review and perhaps work together on some amazing apps.

All the best. :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi disctrader,

Thanks for sharing your profile. Your profile looks interesting on the surface. Talking about your academics, you have a good undergrad GPA and a super good GMAT score. It exhibits your academic potential and capability to handle a demanding MBA curriculum.

On the work front, you have diverse work experience. Your startup would definitely have helped you get the experience of different functions in the company. You should go into more detail about this journey and describe how you developed leadership qualities in yourself as well as how you dealt with setbacks. You should bring examples of impact, maturity, leadership and innovation in your apps to showcase you as an achiever.

Your ECs are excellent. You've done a lot of great stuff. You can talk about your interest in rock climbing and your experience in this journey. Profitable crypto and forex trading demonstrate good strategic decision-making abilities. Speaking about all this with enthusiasm would add diversity to your profile, and adcoms will get to know you beyond your work.

Your reason for doing MBA is unique, and it demonstrates how keen you are to study business ethics. Excellent! Only a few people seem to have simple, distinct reasons for seeking an MBA, and you seem to be one of them. Make it a point to explain how HBS will help you fill your profile gaps and lead you to your life goals.

Overall, your profile is good. I would suggest you apply to two more schools in order to increase your chances of acceptance. You have a strong profile and a solid chance at HBS. Adding more schools will help you to balance.

If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and your further chances to the b-schools. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Let’s maximize your chances for US Schools.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Testimonials
Ask MBA & Beyond- if you're concerned about any of your gaps in your profile & need direction

disctrader wrote:
Hello!

Profile:
White Male, 26
GMAT - 770 (Q48 V48)

Education:

International Exposure:

Extra-curriculars:

College:

Post College:
Community choir

Why MBA?

Post MBA aspirations:

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hello Everyone

I am looking for some feedback on my profil regarding the possibility to do the MS/MBA of HBS in biotechnology

Background:
29F, French
MSc: in one of the Sorbonne universities in statistics + did a certificate at INSEAD during my first year of work
(and before MSc I did a specific french cursus called "classes preparatoires" at one of the top 3 french schools)
GPA: Around average and above average (however I come from very low income background so I had to work part-time and I was also doing another universtiy diploma at the same time)
GMAT: Averaging 750+ on practice tests

Work Experience:
2.5 years as statistician in charge of projects in clinical dev at a mid-size pharmaceutical company
2 years promoted as team leader of data scientists at the same company (set-up the team and department myself for the past 2 years)
Have worked only in France but the projects I work on are at international level
I know this may look like a slow progression for consultants but this is actually quite fast in regards of my domain in pharma company
I can get good recommendations from my former boss, and a colleague of mine, but it would be more tricky to ask my actual boss (they expect me to stay for many more years)

Extra Curriculars:
Mentor and Tutor for underprivileged kids.
Set up a wsebsite to provide advice to people with light psychological issues
Involved in communautary project to provide data-driven insight for management of food aid in a specific african country

Post MBA Goal:
Short term: Transition to corporate strategy roles in healthtech
Long term: Be a leader in healthtech

I would really value some insights on my profile since I fear it may not be strong and standard enough for top-B MBAs.

Cheers!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi vm44,

Thanks for sharing your profile. Your profile looks good on the surface. Talking about your work experience, you can bring the narrative of your learnings from these experiences and how they have shaped your personality and skills. You’ll have to showcase how you are a perfect fit by highlighting your career progression. Talk about the projects you have undertaken and how they've impacted the organisation’s growth and development. Your ECs seems good. Talk about your website, how you helped people and brought a change in their life. Along with this, you will need to demonstrate unique and powerful qualities, such as passion or resilience, that can set you apart from others. I would advise you to bring the "ambitious" aspect in your Post-MBA goals to the kind of positions you want to reach in your chosen industry. In terms of recommenders, I will suggest someone who will tell you about the qualities you possess and the kind of person you are in your work very thoroughly because the purpose is to get a second person's opinion about you. Additionally, make a list of the gaps in your profile that you believe an MBA from Harvard can help you fill in order to reach your goals.

Overall you have a good profile. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect all the dots and build a great story. If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and your further chances to b-school. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Let’s maximize your chances for US Schools.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Testimonials
Ask MBA & Beyond- if you're concerned about any of your gaps in your profile & need direction

vm44 wrote:
Hello Everyone

I am looking for some feedback on my profil regarding the possibility to do the MS/MBA of HBS in biotechnology

Background:
29F, French
MSc: in one of the Sorbonne universities in statistics + did a certificate at INSEAD during my first year of work
(and before MSc I did a specific french cursus called "classes preparatoires" at one of the top 3 french schools)
GPA: Around average and above average (however I come from very low income background so I had to work part-time and I was also doing another universtiy diploma at the same time)

Work Experience:
2.5 years as statistician in charge of projects in clinical dev at a mid-size pharmaceutical company
2 years promoted as team leader of data scientists at the same company (set-up the team and department myself for the past 2 years)
Have worked only in France but the projects I work on are at international level
I know this may look like a slow progression for consultants but this is actually quite fast in regards of my domain in pharma company
I can get good recommendations from my former boss, and a colleague of mine, but it would be more tricky to ask my actual boss (they expect me to stay for many more years)

Extra Curriculars:
Involved in communautary project to provide data-driven insight for management of food aid in a specific african country

Post MBA Goal:

I would really value some insights on my profile since I fear it may not be strong and standard enough for top-B MBAs.

Cheers!
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Send PM
Expert Reply
vm44 wrote:
Hello Everyone

Background:
29F, French

Work Experience:

Extra Curriculars:

Post MBA Goal:

Cheers!

Hello vm44,

Thank you for your post. If you secure a 750 on the GMAT, your academics look promising – as does your work experience. Where else are you looking to apply to along with HBS? Personal MBA Coach recommends applying to 5 to 7 schools to maximize your chances of acceptance.

One of the key factors of becoming a strong candidate for top b-schools is how you articulate your personal story. The most successful candidates craft unique and compelling stories. This is a large component of Personal MBA Coach’s support and the area where we find our clients need the most guidance. Take a look at our comprehensive services to learn more about story development and other key areas that we target to help clients successfully navigate the application process.

Happy to discuss your situation in further detail if you would like to reach out to scott@personalmbacoach.com.

Regards,
Personal MBA Coach
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone,

Planning to apply R1 for Sep 2022 start

Demographics: 24 years old, Female, Asian Canadian (immigrated to Canada, but now a citizen)

Education:
• Undergrad: bachelor in Business from a decent Canadian university. GPA 86% which is an A at Canadian universities but not sure how it will convert to US GPA. Major Entrance scholarship, Top Student Leader scholarship, top 5% of faculty by GPA

GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39, IR8, AWA5) – a little bit concerned about my verbal score, but hoping it helps that I grew up and work in Canada so English is my first language

Work Experience
• 3 years in brand management (as of now) at a Tier 1 CPG (ie. P&G, Johnson & Johnson, Nestle); early experience managing direct reports as well. It will be 4 years of experience if I start school in Sep 2022.
• All my work experience is in Canada, no international work experience but I'm leading a lot of the diversity initiatives on the brand and on diversity marketing team.

Leadership and Extracurricular Activities:
• For the past 3 years, I've been involved with my university's brand management alumni program where we mentor current students and help them secure jobs in the industry. I was in this program as a student but now contributing as an alumnus.
• In undergrad, I chaired a large marketing conference - large team & budget (which was why I received the Top Student Leader scholarship at my school)
• Extracurricular at work - Onboarding team for training and supporting interns & new hires for 1.5 years. When COVID hit suddenly, I led the change in our onboarding program from in-person to virtual, have some good stories and results here.

Other:
• I'm looking into getting involved with pro bono charity projects to grow EC but no guarantees
• I know I can get a strong reference from my manager who I worked with for 1.5+ years and he's senior within the company

Post MBA goal: upon graduation – product management at tech firm or continue brand management but at an international market outside of North America.
long-term – executive in CPG/tech or exit to not-for-profit for impact driven work

Essay: I haven't figured this part out yet to be honest...

Schools: Interested in HBS, Stanford, Wharton, INSEAD, LBS. INSEAD really appeals to me, but I'm debating if I should also apply to top US schools unless I don't have a chance.

Points of concern:
• Undergrad GPA - My GPA was strong in undergrad but how does an 86%/A in a Canadian school convert to a US school GPA where 90+% seems to be a 4.0 GPA?
• Do I stand a chance at schools like HBS, Stanford, Wharton or should I focus on international MBAs? If yes, would it be better for me to apply to R2 vs. R1 so I have few more months of work experience?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Originally posted by jules1996 on 11 Apr 2021, 22:40.
Last edited by jules1996 on 12 Apr 2021, 14:51, edited 2 times in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jules1996 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Demographics: 24 years old, Female, Asian Canadian (immigrated to Canada, but now a citizen)

Education:
• Undergrad: bachelor in Business from a decent Canadian university. GPA 86% which is an A at Canadian universities but not sure how it will convert to US GPA. Major Entrance scholarship, Top Student Leader scholarship, top 5% of faculty by GPA

GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39) – a little bit concerned about my verbal score, but hoping it helps that I grew up and work in Canada so English is my first language

Work Experience
• 3 years in brand management at a Tier 1 CPG (ie. P&G, Johnson & Johnson, Nestle); early experience managing direct reports as well
• all my work experience is in Canada, no international work experience

• Involved with my university's brand management alumni program where we mentor current students and help them secure jobs in the industry
• In undergrad, I chaired a large marketing conference - large team & budget (which was why I received the Top Student Leader scholarship at my school)

Other:
• I'm looking into getting involved with pro bono charity projects to grow EC but no guarantees
• I know I can get a strong reference from my manager who I worked with for 1.5+ years and he's senior within the company

Post MBA goal: upon graduation – product management at tech firm or continue brand management but at an international market outside of North America.
long-term – executive in CPG/tech or exit to not-for-profit for impact driven work

Schools: Interested in HBS, Stanford, Wharton, INSEAD, LBS. INSEAD really appeals to me, but I'm debating if I should also apply to top US schools unless I don't have a chance.

Points of concern:
• Undergrad GPA - My GPA was strong in undergrad but how does an 86%/A in a Canadian school convert to a US school GPA where 90+% seems to be a 4.0 GPA?
• Do I stand a chance at schools like HBS, Stanford, Wharton or should I focus on international MBAs?

Hi jules1996

Thanks for sharing your profile and MBA aspirations
My name is Shimri Winters, I head the strategy here at ARINGO

You are young 😊 but have a very interesting profile! Well done!!!
    Academics – GPA seems high! We can check if it is equivalent to 4.0 or a bit less, BUT it is high, top 5% in class, that’s the important bottom line! so well done!

GMAT - Well, 740 is a good score – and nothing to be concerned about the split – 740 is 740 . and nice analytical score by the way! (I hope the IR and AWA are above 4?)

School wish list – I like your list! You are a very strong candidate for INSEAD and LBS. Harvard, Stanford and Wharton are a bit of a stretch (mainly because of your “young age” . you will have a better shot with these in ~2 years if you assume more senior and management positions) BUT, any other international or US school -> you are in the game!

Extracurricular activities – I like the university experience. Yes, you are missing some volunteering activities from recent years + I hope you have some hobbies? People forget that schools look for three things : professional experience academic ability and be interesting 😊

Work Experience –so, this is your biggest advantage and disadvantage. You are young, but have a great career to date with global brands and direct management experience. What is missing? International work (with clients or co-partners)

All in all, sounds like you have a solid profile! Especially for LBS and INSEAD and for other US schools too (I can help you build a list based on your career goals). HBS, Wharton and GSB are obviously harder to get into, for any candidate, but still worth a shot!

Happy to help further with a detailed review and perhaps work together on some amazing apps if you send me your CV and any other info to Shimriw@ARINGO.com

GOOD LUCK!
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Stratus Admissions Counseling
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [2]
Given Kudos: 47
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jules1996 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Education:

GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39, IR8, AWA5) – a little bit concerned about my verbal score, but hoping it helps that I grew up and work in Canada so English is my first language

Work Experience
• 3 years in brand management at a Tier 1 CPG (ie. P&G, Johnson & Johnson, Nestle); early experience managing direct reports as well
• all my work experience is in Canada, no international work experience

• For the past 3 years, I've been involved with my university's brand management alumni program where we mentor current students and help them secure jobs in the industry. I was in this program as a student but now contributing as an alumnus.

Other:

Points of concern:
• Do I stand a chance at schools like HBS, Stanford, Wharton or should I focus on international MBAs?

Hi jules1996 - I'm happy to share my thoughts about your profile. Based on the information you provided, you will make a compelling candidate. Your GPA and GMAT are strong, and I like your work experience for a Tier 1 CPG, especially now that you are managing direct reports. I also like that your manager will serve as a recommender and has worked closely with you. Most schools require a second recommender as well, so you might start thinking about your options. Do you have any other leadership experience at work (such as perhaps mentoring, recruiting, or involvement in a diversity group)? Are you able to demonstrate specific accomplishments? Also, do you have three years experience currently, or is that what you will have upon matriculation in 2022? Three years is at the lower end but within the range of work experience expected by the top US schools, and well within the range for the European schools you are targeting.

I also like your alumni work and that you've been doing it for three years. If you are able to add additional pro bono charity projects, that would be great - especially if you can demonstrate further leadership, even if it's on a shorter term project.

Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton are all stretch schools for even the very best candidates - but I do encourage you to apply. I also strongly encourage you to explore other US schools in addition to the European ones - there are many great schools beyond the ones you mention. You can do research and attend information sessions to get a sense for which are the best fit for you.

Your overall success will depend on how well you able to tell your story: to explain where you want to head (not just your goals, but the impact you want to have and why), demonstrate success so far (highlighting accomplishments and leadership experience) and explain why an MBA from each specific school is the best way for you to continue on your path.

In terms of your specific concerns: business schools are very familiar with grading differences by country. If you are in the top 5% by GPA, your GPA will be viewed very favorably. And again, I do think you "stand a chance" at H/S/W, so encourage you to apply - but also to explore other US schools in addition to the European ones you mention.

I hope this helps! If you want to dive deeper, please feel free to take advantage of my company's free 30-minute consultation by signing up here. In any case, best of luck to you!

Send PM
Expert Reply
jules1996 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Education:

Work Experience
• 3 years in brand management (as of now) at a Tier 1 CPG (ie. P&G, Johnson & Johnson, Nestle); early experience managing direct reports as well. It will be 4 years of experience if I start school in Sep 2022.
• All my work experience is in Canada, no international work experience but I'm leading a lot of the diversity initiatives on the brand and on diversity marketing team.

• Extracurricular at work - Onboarding team for training and supporting interns & new hires for 1.5 years. When COVID hit suddenly, I led the change in our onboarding program from in-person to virtual, have some good stories and results here.

Other:

Points of concern:
• Do I stand a chance at schools like HBS, Stanford, Wharton or should I focus on international MBAs? If yes, would it be better for me to apply to R2 vs. R1 so I have few more months of work experience?

Hello jules1996,

Thank you for sharing! To address your points of concern, I would not worry much about your undergrad GPA. You have secured a strong GMAT that helps to show you are prepared for the rigor of the programs you are interested in.

Whether or not you stand a chance at schools like H/W/S is not only riding on your past experiences and successes but the kind of applications you put together. From what you have shared, you have some strong leadership/extracurriculars that you can leverage in your applications.

Though it is completely fine that you have not put much thought into your essays yet, a good deal of your candidacy is riding on them. The essays are a big part of Personal MBA Coach’s support and the area where we find our clients need the most guidance. Feel free to take a look at our comprehensive services to learn more about story development and other key areas that we target to help clients successfully navigate the application process.

Do not hesitate to reach out to scott@personalmbacoach.com if you would like help putting together strong applications!

Best,
Personal MBA Coach
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys,

I am a 29 year old Egyptian with a technical background and I am considering applying for Harvard MBA. Can you give me some feedback?

Education:
I have a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering with a 77% degree from one Egypt's top schools. In Egypt it is a 5 year degree and 77% is a very good degree compared to excellent which starts at 85%. After that, I was selected for a scholarship with an acceptance rate of 1% to continue my diploma in Mechatronics, and used this diploma to pursue a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering in Germany with a 1.3 degree "100%= 1 in Germany, and 5= failing".

Work experience:
I have worked as an international freelance inspector before graduation and have travelled to China, Italy, Finland and many other European countries. During my Master's degree in Germany, I had a couple of student jobs as an engineer and started a full-time engineering position right after, also in Germany, focusing on customer support for 1.5 years. After that, however, I moved into product management for more than two years. The product manager role is truly international in the sense that I coordinate work with other groups in Japan, USA, France, China and of course Germany. It also involved strategy definition and business development.

Extracurricular activities:
This was really during my undergrad-studies in Egypt, as I participated in a number of NGO initiatives with a cultural background and was a project manager for an arts and culture program, leading 100 volunteers. In Germany I only did 3 months of volunteering, which I think is too small to mention.

Languages:
German, English, Arabic, and basic Spanish.

GMAT score:
Not yet available. I scored 540 on the test exam without preparation, I have 7 weeks left to prepare with about 10-15 hours per week.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  36   37   38   39   40   41   42  ...  53   
Moderators:
HBS and Wharton Moderator
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts