GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 08:17

TODAY:

MIT Sloan R1 Decisions - Join MIT Chat for Live Updates | Chat with UCLA Anderson Adcom @9am PT | Chat with Yale SOM R1 Admit 10am PT

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 02:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (00:54) correct 56% (00:52) wrong based on 239 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union.

(A) Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union.

(B) Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has and always will be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union.

(C) Commissioner Wallace claims that he will always be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union.

(D) Always having been a member of the American Civil Liberties Union, Commissioner Wallace claims that he will always continue to be so.

(E) Commissioner Wallace has always been a member of the American Civil Liberties Union, and claims that he will always be.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
S
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
Re: Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 02:20
Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union.

(A) Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union.

(B) Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has and always will be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union.

(C) Commissioner Wallace claims that he will always be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union.

(D) Always having been a member of the American Civil Liberties Union, Commissioner Wallace claims that he will always continue to be so.

(E) Commissioner Wallace has always been a member of the American Civil Liberties Union, and claims that he will always be.

IMO C seems to be constructed well

If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 02:40
archish3113 wrote:

IMO C seems to be constructed well
How can it be C...C doesnt mentioned about past...but we know that he is also a member in the past..

Sent from my SM-J700F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 02:59
Bunuel wrote:

+1 for A

(A) Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union. --> Correct Parallelism. He always has been a member of American Civil union. He always will be a member of the American Civil Union.

(B) Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has and always will be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union. --> Incorrect Parallelism. He always has a member of American Civil union. He always will be a member of the American Civil Union

(C) Commissioner Wallace claims that he will always be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union. --> Change in meaning. This removes the possibility that Wallace has always been a member of American union

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go

SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 06:42
+1 for A.

(A) Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union. --> Correct, mentions both the past and the future

(C) Commissioner Wallace claims that he will always be a member of the American Civil Liberties Union. --> Incorrect, does not mention about the past.
P.S. "I have always been and always will be a lurker on GC" and "I will always be a lurker on GC" do not mean the same, the later changes the meaning

(D) Always having been a member of the American Civil Liberties Union, Commissioner Wallace claims that he will always continue to be so. --> Incorrect, Much wordy

(E) Commissioner Wallace has always been a member of the American Civil Liberties Union, and claims that he will always be. --> Incorrect, Much wordy

Hence, A.

The few, the fearless !

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 00:33
Bunuel wrote:

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

In this sentence, the complete phrase comes at the end and the ellipses precede it: Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been [a member of the ACLU] and [that he] always will be a member of the ACLU. The brackets mark the ellipses, and the fact that the sentence is grammatically correct even with the omitted material indicates that the ellipses are used correctly. Choices (B) and (C) take out too much. (B) fails because always has [a member of the ACLU] and always will be a member doesn't work; the first verb needs to be complete and read always has been. (C) takes out the first verb completely but, since always has been and always will be express different ideas, both verbs are necessary. (D) and (E) play with the order of the sentence and both create wordier and more awkward options than (A), the correct answer.

An 800 test taker puts the omitted pieces back into the sentence to see if the abbreviated version is correct, as in the explanations above. This is an effective strategy for dealing with ellipsis questions.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
B
Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 18:01
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

In this sentence, the complete phrase comes at the end and the ellipses precede it: Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been [a member of the ACLU] and [that he] always will be a member of the ACLU. The brackets mark the ellipses, and the fact that the sentence is grammatically correct even with the omitted material indicates that the ellipses are used correctly. Choices (B) and (C) take out too much. (B) fails because always has [a member of the ACLU] and always will be a member doesn't work; the first verb needs to be complete and read always has been. (C) takes out the first verb completely but, since always has been and always will be express different ideas, both verbs are necessary. (D) and (E) play with the order of the sentence and both create wordier and more awkward options than (A), the correct answer.

An 800 test taker puts the omitted pieces back into the sentence to see if the abbreviated version is correct, as in the explanations above. This is an effective strategy for dealing with ellipsis questions.

Hi Bunuel
Can you elaborate reason for elimination of E.
I understand that E can be penalized for missing the first claim(that commissioner has been a member)
But we don't know whether Commissioner was a member of the union; can we give a benefit of doubt to original sentence. Hence, we don't know whether as in A he has to CLAIM that he has been a member OR whether as in E, he WAS(actually) a member (& hence doesn't require to claim).

Secondly, I find that E is not wordier(neither by the approx length of the thread nor by the no. of words if we ignore comma). I assume we are not expected to count the no. of words in the sentences to find out which one is wordier; I usually just compare the approx length .

In A, the second always is redundant hence I eliminated A.

Pls correct me if I am wrong.

"An 800 test taker puts the omitted pieces back into the sentence to see if whether the abbreviated version is correct."
Shouldn't we have a whether instead of an if in the above. Sorry, I am getting excessively obsessed by sentence correction.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 22:55
My question is here regrading always will, doesn't this express that he has been a member in the past and will continue to be in the future.
Hence IMO C is right ,Although i don't find anything wrong with A
What am i missing here ?
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 10:52
goforgmat wrote:
My question is here regrading always will, doesn't this express that he has been a member in the past and will continue to be in the future.
Hence IMO C is right ,Although i don't find anything wrong with A
What am i missing here ?

goforgmat
even though i got it wrong, i think i understand the change in meaning here -
suppose candidate X supports a party Y from year 2000- 2001 ....
after 2001 ,for a breif period of time (say 2 years) he supported a different party Z
now again he changes the party to Y and NOW he claims that he will always be a party Y person

now we cannot say he "always has been" becasue for a brief period of time he supported a different party but he can certainly claim now that he will always be party Y
Also the present tense "claims" gives us an idea that this is the PRESENT CONTEXT so the above provided explanation is plausible.

when we say "alwasy has been" we mean to say he never shifted from his support to party Y...

i hope u get the point...very subtle meaning
GMAT Club Bot
Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be &nbs [#permalink] 09 Dec 2018, 10:52

Commissioner Wallace claims that he always has been and always will be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap