Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [11]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [5]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [5]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [3]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Corona COVID-19 Impact on GMAT/MBA [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Kudos
Things are getting pretty serious in India. 2 states have issued a week-long lockdown. There’s multiple cases, and most companies have issued a work-from-home policy for the next couple of weeks.

I work at a social startup, and our company has taken a massive hit because of COVID. We’ve lost all our corporate clients for the foreseeable future, all in a week’s time.

I came across a well-informed, data-backed article on Medium that has helped me make sense of what’s going on. It’s a long read, but I urge all of you to take the time out to do so. The writer talks about the importance of social isolation, the reported cases vs. the actual number of cases, and what we can expect over the next few weeks.

Here is the link:
https://link.medium.com/wZr5tOZxP4

Take care and stay safe!

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3451 [3]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
BradyMVP wrote:
Not trying to freak people out here but what’re the odds that test dates get postponed and canceled in the coming weeks? I have a scheduled date for 03/31 and frankly I cannot imagine being able to sit for it given the current US climate

I guess test dates might get postponed, looking at the current scenario.
March SAT’s got cancelled in many parts of the world. So, the cancellations might happen to GMAT/GRE also. However, I haven’t come across any cancellations for GMAT/GRE dates due to this virus in Mumbai and Bangalore

Originally posted by CareerGeek on 12 Mar 2020, 19:43.
Last edited by CareerGeek on 13 Mar 2020, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [2]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Kudos
Same here. Gmat has already cancelled exam in 4 states here. I am not sure whether I will be able to take the exam this month end. All the best! \m/

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I've got an email from Kellogg saying they will accept applications for 3rd round without GMAT score for affected locations, but would require to take it as soon as smoke dissipates. Also from Insead with somewhat similar proposition.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
While asking to confirm card details seems odd, not totally unreasonable. But a claim of a scam... how did they get your email? That would be an odd scam email unless they hacked Pearson or something like that.

However if it is via a website and it is a wrong URL then I would be careful for sure. The correct site is Pearsonvue.com.

Pearson also operates other sites such a as Pearson.com and direct.pearson.com is their email server. It is possible Pearson is jacked of course. Things happen... I think people are scared and panic too easily without using their cognitive abilities ;-)

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [2]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
I am just exhausted by all the negativity and how everything is just getting worse.

I just want to go back home in India :(
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [2]
Send PM
Corona COVID-19 Impact on GMAT/MBA [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
It is fairly simple thinking so let me know if I am missing something but if people are stuck on unemployment or getting laid off or their salaries are cut by 20%, they choose to change their lives for the better and go through the application process. The fewer prospects, the more people head for the MBA while the economy is bad and options are few.

Also if there are people who are deferred (international students), the number of spots may be reduced, driving up the competition.

Now, these are forward looking statements and I am not sure if this is exactly how it plays out but proactive folks probably have started planning already.

TheNightKing wrote:
bb wrote:
There is a good chance next app year will be difficult and odd.

bb

Please share more thoughts on this!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
gmatway wrote:
My exam is near (March month end) and I know my Mumbai Centre isn't going to get closed . I don't know whether I am allowed to wear mask inside the exam room . I don't know whether wearing a mask would make me uncomfortable (distract my thoughts).
I only know one thing that I hope for and dream of a bright future and no matter how worse /ugly things become.
I will continue to perfect my GMAT skills ,get that score and join the best college and contribute to society to tackle situations like this .

We are lucky to be born in this era . Same things have happened in past and people have faced worse consequences .
Things will get better soon .It might take some years but things will get better . Just stay strong and careful .

NAMAHSTE :)

You will be given an option to wear a mask inside the Centre. You won't be allowed to get your own mask, but will be provided one by the Pearson Centre itself. I had my exam on the 4th of this month in Chennai and the Centre guys had their masks on the whole time as we had a few folks from some Eastern country inside the Centre. All the best
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GMATNinja wrote:
Here's the latest list of closures from GMAC: https://www.mba.com/articles-and-announ ... oronavirus. Looks like tests have been suspended at test centers in 22 countries so far.

bb (and anybody else), do we know whether any MBA programs plan to extend application deadlines for test-takers who are affected by the closures? Fortunately, this isn't peak season for MBA applications, but I've met some 2+2 applicants who have had their tests disrupted, with application deadlines coming in late March and early April. :?

Stay healthy out there, everybody!

This isn't awesome: some of my students have reported test center closures that don't appear on the GMAC website. So if you have an exam coming soon, you might want to call your test center to make sure that it's still open -- especially if the test center is located at a college or university, many of which are completely closed now.

And if you do take your exam, please be safe, and don't smooch the person at the next computer. :angel:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Schools: Duke '22 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Investment Banking (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
abhishree97 wrote:
I think schools should consider postponing Round-3. This has happened for the first time. These are very different circumstances and it's required that they are dealt differently.

Some schools have began postponing. Stanford has stated that they will accept GMAT scores up until May 8th
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kellogg has also deferred the test scores until May 1st (seems unofficial score is sufficient - it was not clear which one) https://blogs.kellogg.northwestern.edu/i ... ns-update/

Quote:
If you have no current GMAT/GRE/TOEFL score, submit a Round 3 application with all other materials. In order to do this, you must notify us via MBAadmissions@kellogg.northwestern.edu or 847.491.3308 BEFORE April 8 so we can assist you in submitting the application manually. We will proceed with an interview and an initial review of your file. If you submit a test score by May 1, we will make a decision for you by the Round 3 deadline. If you are unable to meet this deadline, we can push your decision into June and will work with you to understand when you may be able to take the test. If you need to push the date beyond that, we will transfer your application to next year so that you do not have to start the process over from scratch
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 680 Q1 V1
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks bb!

Solirah -- what specifically do you need to know? I'll ask the adcoms directly.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.08
WE:Brand Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Do you think international students will be forced to defer matriculation by a year?

I think it’s going to be tough getting visas and I’m not flying to the US and paying $200k to take online classes from a dorm.

There’s absolutely no certainty around how the pandemic will progress in the next 3-9 months.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
That would be appreciated. Im flying back to Seattle in a few days and my test is gonna be in Seattle. And yes I can still submit my application with no Gmat scores. But need to update the test in a week.

Originally posted by Solirah on 16 Mar 2020, 11:46.
Last edited by bb on 18 Mar 2020, 22:47, edited 6 times in total.
Update
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
It's impossible to say whether this will happen at more universities, but here's an example of a school that has waived GMAT and GRE requirements entirely for its graduate programs in response to the epidemic: https://www.iit.edu/admissions-aid/grad ... aiver-faqs.

It's hard to imagine, say, Booth or HBS completely waiving the GRE/GMAT, but the world is losing its mind (you can't buy toilet paper or an onion in Colorado anymore!), so you never know. :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
They (Kellogg) have also deferred GMAT for other locations until May: https://gmatclub.com/forum/corona-318352.html

Tutor
Affiliations: The GMAT Co.
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I did some digging around to see how different organizations are responding. A few findings:

* Apply without a GMAT score for now

A part of an email one of my students received from INSEAD:
"
We encourage you to continue to prepare and finalise your application without test scores if you are living in a country affected by test centre closures. The admissions teams will start evaluating applications without GMAT, GRE, EA or TOEFL test scores while waiting for the test centres to reopen. They will advise you on the options available to enable you to provide a completed application.
"

* Take the GMAT later, if needed

"We reserve the right to request a GRE or GMAT test score if the selector is unable to make a decision on your application without this information." - LSE website

* Apparently, ETS is working on an "at home" GRE solution (https://www.ets.org/gre/important_update/)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7