GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 16:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 25
Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 10:37
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:36) correct 27% (01:46) wrong based on 140 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Cream costs twice as much as skim milk. A certain brand of milk is 1/4 cream and 3/4 skim milk. What fraction of the cost of this brand is due to the cream?

a) 1/3
b)1/2
c) 2/5
d) 3/5
e) 3/4
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 16351
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 20:26
2
1
Hi Awli,

This question can be solved Algebraically or by TESTing VALUES. Here's how to TEST VALUES:

We're told that Cream costs twice as much as Skim Milk.

M = cost of Skim Milk = $2
C = cost of Cream = $4

We're told that a certain brand of milk is 1/4 cream and 3/4 skim milk. In real simple terms, that means for every "part" of cream there are 3 "parts" of skim milk.

Brand milk =
(1 part cream)($4) = $4
(3 parts skim milk)($2) = $6
Total price = $4 + $6 = $10

The question asks for the part of the price that is due to the CREAM.

Cream = $4
Total = $10
$4/$10 = 4/10 = 2/5

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 25
Re: Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 09:37
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Awli,

This question can be solved Algebraically or by TESTing VALUES. Here's how to TEST VALUES:

We're told that Cream costs twice as much as Skim Milk.

M = cost of Skim Milk = $2
C = cost of Cream = $4

We're told that a certain brand of milk is 1/4 cream and 3/4 skim milk. In real simple terms, that means for every "part" of cream there are 3 "parts" of skim milk.

Brand milk =
(1 part cream)($4) = $4
(3 parts skim milk)($2) = $6
Total price = $4 + $6 = $10

The question asks for the part of the price that is due to the CREAM.

Cream = $4
Total = $10
$4/$10 = 4/10 = 2/5

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Thank you very much!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 16351
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 12:30
Hi Awli,

I'm glad that you found the explanation helpful. I mentioned that this question could also be solved with Algebra, so here's that approach:

We're told that Cream costs twice as much as Skim Milk.

P = price of skim milk
2P = price of cream

We're told that a certain brand of milk is 1/4 cream and 3/4 skim milk:

X = total ounces of milk

(1/4)(X)(2P) = the part of the cost that is cream
(3/4)(X)(P) = the part of the cost that is skim milk

Cost of Milk =
(1/4)(X)(2P) + (3/4)(X)(P) =
(1/2)(XP) + (3/4)(XP) =
(5/4)(XP)

The question asks what fraction of the cost was from the cream:

[(1/2)(XP)]/[(5/4)(XP)]

Cancel out the XPs...

(1/2)/(5/4)

Multiply the numerator and denominator by 4....

2/5

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 25
Re: Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 01:51
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Awli,

I'm glad that you found the explanation helpful. I mentioned that this question could also be solved with Algebra, so here's that approach:

We're told that Cream costs twice as much as Skim Milk.

P = price of skim milk
2P = price of cream

We're told that a certain brand of milk is 1/4 cream and 3/4 skim milk:

X = total ounces of milk

(1/4)(X)(2P) = the part of the cost that is cream
(3/4)(X)(P) = the part of the cost that is skim milk

Cost of Milk =
(1/4)(X)(2P) + (3/4)(X)(P) =
(1/2)(XP) + (3/4)(XP) =
(5/4)(XP)

The question asks what fraction of the cost was from the cream:

[(1/2)(XP)]/[(5/4)(XP)]

Cancel out the XPs...

(1/2)/(5/4)

Multiply the numerator and denominator by 4....

2/5

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Thank you again EMPOWERgmatRichC !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 491
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2015, 11:48
3
Awli wrote:
Cream costs twice as much as skim milk. A certain brand of milk is 1/4 cream and 3/4 skim milk. What fraction of the cost of this brand is due to the cream?

a) 1/3
b)1/2
c) 2/5
d) 3/5
e) 3/4


Ratio of Cream:Milk = 1:3

3 portions of milk will cost 3x
1portion of cream will cost 2x

So 2x/(2x+3x)
2/5
SVP
SVP
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 1865
Re: Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 07:15
Awli wrote:
Cream costs twice as much as skim milk. A certain brand of milk is 1/4 cream and 3/4 skim milk. What fraction of the cost of this brand is due to the cream?

a) 1/3
b)1/2
c) 2/5
d) 3/5
e) 3/4


Let Cream = C and Skim milk = S
Given that C = 2S
Let there be 4 liters of milk => 1 liter is cream and 3 liters are skim milk.

Let cost of skim milk = $10 => Cream = $20.
Total price = 1*$20 + 3*$10
= 50
Hence proportion of cream = 20/50
=2/5
Hence option (C).

--
Optimus Prep's GMAT On Demand course for only $299 covers all verbal and quant. concepts in detail. Visit the following link to get your 7 days free trial account: http://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1713
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 23:58
2
Let the price of milk = 1, then the price of cream = 2

Cost of milk in brand \(= 1 * \frac{3}{4} = \frac{3}{4}\)

Cost of cream in brand \(= 2 * \frac{1}{4} = \frac{1}{2}\)

Total cost \(= \frac{1}{2} + \frac{3}{4} = \frac{5}{4}\)

Required fraction\(= \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{\frac{5}{4}} = \frac{2}{5}\)

Answer = C
VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2014
Posts: 1241
Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 16:36
with no c, let total cost=4s
c=2s
with 1/4 c, total cost is 3s+2s=5s
c fraction of total cost=2s/5s=2/5
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 14470
Re: Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2019, 20:03
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.   [#permalink] 27 May 2019, 20:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Cream costs twice as much as skim milk.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne