Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 07:16 It is currently 01 May 2024, 07:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.4
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Does retake after good(Not great) GMAT score considered as negative [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing.

It won't be viewed as a negative, if it won't hinder your application preparations, then there's no harm in going for a retake.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Does retake after good(Not great) GMAT score considered as negative [#permalink]
LXVE wrote:
This is like asking, "Well, I make $5 million per year, will it look bad to the public if I start making $6.5 million per year?"

Sent from my SM-G928T using

Thanks for the reply.I get it where you are coming from and I wanted to ask if Adcoms will think along the same line and take it as negative. :roll:

PS: I hope you noticed my IR4 score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
99Colleges wrote:
If you’re applying to schools with 710 as their median GMAT score, 720 is more than enough. Marginal utility of going from 720 to 740 is much less than going from 680 to 700. Moreover, IR score isn’t given weight because applicants are still submitting older pre-IR scores.

Bottomline, for all practical purpose, if 720 can’t pull you through, a 740 won’t either. It’s hard to conjecture how the reviewer of your application will react to your retaking the test, but a possible thought is ‘the guy is not prioritizing his time well’.

You can read more on this topic in these two articles:

Right. Makes sense. Also,got AWA 6 today. So,I think I will focus on application for next 3 months.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Excellent score. All the best.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
We test takers value the GMAT a bit more than the adcoms do but I think secretly it really is more important than everyone lets on. It seems like with the massive rise in GMAT scores schools are looking for that score more and more. The story you tell and your work experience/overall fit still reigns supreme obviously like everyone here is saying, but I'm of the opinion that if you think you can get 20-30 points extra, go for it. If you do better on the IR you can mention in an interview how you knew a 4 wasn't indicative of your capabilities so you retook it and did closer to your expected score across the board.

The massive upside we have nowadays is being able to see our score and then being able to cancel it. If it's a 730 with a better IR score even that may be worth submitting (though that's pushing it), and then if all the stars align and you score a 750 you're all set.

As a low GPAer myself I focused hard on the GMAT. Had a whole situation with low IR score and a higher one but lower overall the next time and because my mocks were in the 750-760 range I kind of got addicted to taking the test, so definitely be careful you set yourself a goal and if you don't achieve that goal call it a day and move on.

That all said, unless it's a 30+ point increase it won't have the impact acing your applications will have so keep that in mind but if you can put the time in on the GMAT without sacrificing any application quality I say go for it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Valid point redfield.

I'll put it this way. A higher score will never harm an applicant. It's always better.

But, it's better if the effort to get it doesn't affect the more crucial aspect of your application - essays and recommendation. Most underestimate the time it takes to put a solid application in, and often end up hurrying through it. Moreover, over the years, test score has increasingly become commoditized. It can show you in poor light, but it doesn't differentiate you much these days.
GMAT Club Bot