It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 13:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluate Revision: The downturn in the economy last year

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16213 [1], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Evaluate Revision: The downturn in the economy last year [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 21:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:23) correct 36% (01:37) wrong based on 493 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning : Evaluate Revision Project.

The downturn in the economy last year has prompted many companies to make widely publicized layoffs, resulting in thousands of lost jobs. Economists predicted that these layoffs would cause people generally to cut back on their discretionary spending even if their jobs were secure, in anticipation of coming hard times. However, this prediction has not come to pass, since there has been no increase in the amount of money set aside by the general public in savings accounts. The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating the significance of the savings patterns described above?

A. What business sectors were most affected by the layoffs?

B. How much of their savings, on average, do laid-off employees deplete before finding new employment?

C. What has been the percent increase in the cost of necessities such as food, housing, and utilities during the period since the layoffs?

D. What percentage of people laid off have savings accounts?

E. What has been the average salary during the period since the layoffs?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16213 [1], given: 1953

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 79

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Evaluate Revision: The downturn in the economy last year [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 22:49
will go with Option C

Waiting for OE

Last edited by DesiGmat on 26 Feb 2015, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 79

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 111

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Evaluate Revision: The downturn in the economy last year [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 23:25
A. What business sectors were most affected by the layoffs? - Irrelevant

B. How much of their savings, on average, do laid-off employees deplete before finding new employment? - Issue at hand is about saving pattern of General public not laid-off people.

C. What has been the percent increase in the cost of necessities such as food, housing, and utilities during the period since the layoffs? - Correct.

D. What percentage of people laid off have savings accounts? - Does not affect the conclusion

E. What has been the average salary during the period since the layoffs? - Irrelevant.

OA please...

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 111

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 06:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
If the savings of employees working or laid off is not reflecting it must be true that there are expenditures that they have to incur irrespective of their income and meet their needs...eg rent, food, and other necessary items
If the quantity of those items remain constant and there is an increase in their price/rate then the expenditures rise and savings fall, therfore, it is important to know that impact by what number or by what percent.
Option C clearly points out on that and if we evaluate the rise in those necessary items we might be able to judge why the savings have fallen
So option C it is.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 14:16
Would people who were laid off be spending from their savings account and thus bringing down the public's average amount in savings accounts? Or balance out those who are still employed and saving more? If the cost of neccessities has risen during this period then it would potentially impact everyone - not just those laid off and those still employed would perhaps be saving even less?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 10:49
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 10:51
An assumption is something that must be true in order for the argument to make sense. In other words, an assumption is a missing but necessary piece of evidence - something that the author is taking for granted.

Let's summarize the argument in our own words (always a good idea on assumption/str/wkn questions):

Concl: people aren't cutting back on spending.

Evid: no extra money in savings accounts.

So, the author is basing the conclusion that people are spending just as much on the fact that they're not putting extra money into their savings accounts.

To reach that conclusion, the author must be assuming that there's no other evidence that people are spending less.

Our prediction: other measures of savings/spending less also haven't increased.

This prediction leads us directly to (C).

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 40

Re: Evaluate Revision: The downturn in the economy last year   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 10:51