Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Stanford and Rotman Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: Columbia Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
nydedan wrote:
Hello, I plan to apply for CBS 2024 intake and here's my profile. Would love to know: 1)how good are my chances at CBS and 2) given my profile which round should I apply for? Thanks in advance!

Background
- Mainland China, Male, 25 years old (born in 1997)

Undergrad Info
- BA in Journalism (Advertising specification), Top3 university in Mainland China
- GPA 3.25 out of 4.0
- Low GPA because during my sophomore year I realized that I don't like the courses and I don't want to work in the journalism field given the situation of press in China. Instead, I started to look for opportunities in business field and devoted a lot of time into internships in consulting and banking because at least I would get a better paid job after graduation. Actually even though the overrall GPA is low, I got straight As in all business related and "international" courses including Business English, Academic English (Management Science), Cross Cultural Communication, etc.. This was what really happened behind my GPA but I'm not sure if it sounds legit enough to the admission officers.

Test Scores
- GMAT 730 (Q48, V42, IR 8), retake scheduled in May, aiming for a 750 plus to compensate for my GPA but if doesn't go well may just go with the 730
- TOEFL 110

Internships
- a total of 6 months at 2 Tier-2 consulting firms (think OW, RB, Kearney, Monitor)
- a year at a boutique financial advisory firm (top5 in China)

Full time Work Experience
- Got return offer from the mentioned financial advisory firm, been working for it for 33 months now. Will be 48 months by Aug 2024 matriculation.
- Typical investment banking junior work. Focus on private placement transcactions in consumer goods, logistics and advanced manufacturing.
- Highlights: I acted as the leader of a RMB100m fundraising for a famous consumer brand. The manager of deal team left the firm soon after the deal was kicked off so I, as only an Analyst then, took the initiatives to lead the deal. The deal was closed in only 1 month and considered a star deal in the industry of that year.
- Promoted twice, currently an Associate; three pay raises; top ratings for 3 consecutive years; "Star Staff of 2021" with most bonus months.
- I think this "journalism → financial professional" switch and my performance at the firm may help me stand out a little bit but I still need to work on the story.

Community
- During undergrad: volunteer home tutor for a kid living in poor neighborhood for 1 year
- After undergrad: 1) community volunteer during Covid lockdown, mainly helped old residents "group purchase" food when the food supply and delivery capicity were extremely scarce due to lockdown; 2) volunteer at the biggest AIDS health promotion organization in Shanghai, organize various kinds of group activities, pack and give out HIV test kits, etc.

Target Schools
M7 + Stern. Want to go to CBS the most because I love NYC and I have two colleages who are CBS alumni.

Post-MBA Goals
- Continue to work in banking or PE/VC

Hey nydedan,

You have an impressive profile, with a strong GMAT score and a top undergraduate school. However, when applying to top MBA programs like CBS, it's essential to showcase your strengths while addressing any areas that need improvement. One area of concern may be your lower GPA, which can be offset by taking business certification courses to demonstrate your academic abilities.

Your work experience in investment banking is undoubtedly impressive, but it's crucial to highlight specific examples of how you've demonstrated leadership and made an impact in your role. This could include spearheading successful deals, mentoring junior colleagues, or implementing processes for increased efficiency and revenue. Additionally, involvement in extracurricular activities and initiatives outside of work can demonstrate your leadership potential. A clear and compelling narrative that ties your past experiences to your future goals is also essential.

While having a strong preference for CBS is great, applying to a range of schools and understanding each school's values and culture can increase your chances of admission. Applying in either round 1 or 2 is recommended to maximise your chances, but submitting a strong and polished application is more important than meeting a deadline. Providing concrete details and results in your essays and interviews will make you stand out as a candidate. Additionally, aiming for a 750 score can significantly increase your chances of being admitted to CBS and other top MBA programs.

As for Seven colleges, they are ultra-dream schools with a stringent acceptance rate. Therefore, just having a strong GMAT score won't be enough, as you must also possess a well-rounded application.
Regarding other schools that may be a good fit for your profile, I recommend considering several excellent options, including Wharton, Booth, and Kellogg. Stern is also a great school to apply to, given your interest in working in New York City.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km
Stanford and Rotman Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: Columbia Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
MiMEssay wrote:
nydedan wrote:
Hello, I plan to apply for CBS 2024 intake and here's my profile. Would love to know: 1)how good are my chances at CBS and 2) given my profile which round should I apply for? Thanks in advance!

Background

Undergrad Info
- BA in Journalism (Advertising specification), Top3 university in Mainland China
- GPA 3.25 out of 4.0
- Low GPA because during my sophomore year I realized that I don't like the courses and I don't want to work in the journalism field given the situation of press in China. Instead, I started to look for opportunities in business field and devoted a lot of time into internships in consulting and banking because at least I would get a better paid job after graduation. Actually even though the overrall GPA is low, I got straight As in all business related and "international" courses including Business English, Academic English (Management Science), Cross Cultural Communication, etc.. This was what really happened behind my GPA but I'm not sure if it sounds legit enough to the admission officers.

Test Scores
- GMAT 730 (Q48, V42, IR 8), retake scheduled in May, aiming for a 750 plus to compensate for my GPA but if doesn't go well may just go with the 730
- TOEFL 110

Internships
- a total of 6 months at 2 Tier-2 consulting firms (think OW, RB, Kearney, Monitor)

- Got return offer from the mentioned financial advisory firm, been working for it for 33 months now. Will be 48 months by Aug 2024 matriculation.
- Typical investment banking junior work. Focus on private placement transcactions in consumer goods, logistics and advanced manufacturing.
- Highlights: I acted as the leader of a RMB100m fundraising for a famous consumer brand. The manager of deal team left the firm soon after the deal was kicked off so I, as only an Analyst then, took the initiatives to lead the deal. The deal was closed in only 1 month and considered a star deal in the industry of that year.
- Promoted twice, currently an Associate; three pay raises; top ratings for 3 consecutive years; "Star Staff of 2021" with most bonus months.
- I think this "journalism → financial professional" switch and my performance at the firm may help me stand out a little bit but I still need to work on the story.

Community
- During undergrad: volunteer home tutor for a kid living in poor neighborhood for 1 year
- After undergrad: 1) community volunteer during Covid lockdown, mainly helped old residents "group purchase" food when the food supply and delivery capicity were extremely scarce due to lockdown; 2) volunteer at the biggest AIDS health promotion organization in Shanghai, organize various kinds of group activities, pack and give out HIV test kits, etc.

Target Schools
M7 + Stern. Want to go to CBS the most because I love NYC and I have two colleages who are CBS alumni.

Post-MBA Goals

Hey nydedan,

You have an impressive profile, with a strong GMAT score and a top undergraduate school. However, when applying to top MBA programs like CBS, it's essential to showcase your strengths while addressing any areas that need improvement. One area of concern may be your lower GPA, which can be offset by taking business certification courses to demonstrate your academic abilities.

Your work experience in investment banking is undoubtedly impressive, but it's crucial to highlight specific examples of how you've demonstrated leadership and made an impact in your role. This could include spearheading successful deals, mentoring junior colleagues, or implementing processes for increased efficiency and revenue. Additionally, involvement in extracurricular activities and initiatives outside of work can demonstrate your leadership potential. A clear and compelling narrative that ties your past experiences to your future goals is also essential.

While having a strong preference for CBS is great, applying to a range of schools and understanding each school's values and culture can increase your chances of admission. Applying in either round 1 or 2 is recommended to maximise your chances, but submitting a strong and polished application is more important than meeting a deadline. Providing concrete details and results in your essays and interviews will make you stand out as a candidate. Additionally, aiming for a 750 score can significantly increase your chances of being admitted to CBS and other top MBA programs.

As for Seven colleges, they are ultra-dream schools with a stringent acceptance rate. Therefore, just having a strong GMAT score won't be enough, as you must also possess a well-rounded application.
Regarding other schools that may be a good fit for your profile, I recommend considering several excellent options, including Wharton, Booth, and Kellogg. Stern is also a great school to apply to, given your interest in working in New York City.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

Thank you for your detailed and insightful advice! It will definitely be of great help. I'll work on my package according to your suggestions. Thanks again!!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
shashijangir08 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I’d love your feedback on my profile for Columbia Business School.
27-Year-Old Indian Male

Under Grad – Economics Major from one of the top undergrad colleges in the country with a 6.48/10 GPA. (The GPA is def going to be a pain in the ass)
GRE – 337 (V – 169, Q – 168)

Work Ex – 7 years at matriculation, 5 Years in Consulting across India, UAE, and Israel with 2 different boutique management consulting firms. I have traveled to Israel for 1 year and traveled to UAE for 2 years.
Currently heading Consulting and Implementation for an Israeli product-based startup (It’s a spin-off of my first organization and they called me back to head the consulting and implementation arm)
1 promotion in the last 1 year in the current job

Leadership: Captain of the college basketball team, Part of an 8-member organizing committee of the college’s sport fest

Extracurricular: National level basketball player and represented my state at All India level tournaments during college time (That’s why my GPA got ****), taught underprivileged kids during college time, worked for TeachForIndia (Taught underprivileged post covid) for 2 years, I have my own podcast on NBA, I own 5 retail outlets in India with an ARR of $1.5 Million

Post MBA Goal – Work for a consulting firm mostly an MBB and then specialize in the Retail, F&B, and CPG sector to become a partner eventually (Aligns with the work and projects that I have done in the last 6 years)

Recommenders – One is from Booth. Both will write great LORs for me.

You've got a strong profile, but addressing your GPA is essential, especially as an Indian applicant. Emphasize your unique experiences, demonstrate how an MBA from Columbia will help you achieve your goals, and showcase your potential to contribute to the program, and you'll have a good case for admission.

- Your undergrad degree in Economics from a top Indian institution is valuable, but your 6.48/10 GPA could be an issue in the highly competitive pool of Indian applicants. To counter this, focus on your GRE score and unique work experiences. In your optional essay, you could explain any challenges you faced in college, such as juggling sports and academics, which might have impacted your GPA. Given your overall career trajectory so far, the GPA shouldn't be a roadblock. Your GRE score of 337 is fantastic, especially considering the high scores typically seen among Indian applicants. This will help offset your GPA and demonstrate your strong academic potential. Be sure to highlight this achievement in your application.
- Your 7 years of international experience in consulting, including time in India, UAE, and Israel, sets you apart from other Indian candidates. Share your achievements and how you excelled in various international work environments. Emphasize your leadership and growth in your current startup role. Israel is a hotbed for innovation - highlight particularly how your experience there helped you grow.
- On ECA, you've got a well-rounded profile with your basketball accomplishments, TeachForIndia involvement, and your NBA podcast. Talk about the skills you gained from these experiences, such as teamwork and time management, which can resonate with Indian and international audiences alike. Your entrepreneurial success with five retail outlets is impressive; share the challenges you faced in the Indian market and the lessons you learned.
- Your plan to work for an MBB consulting firm and specialize in Retail, F&B, and CPG aligns with your work experience and entrepreneurial ventures. Explain how an MBA from Columbia will help you reach your goals and how your unique perspective as an Indian applicant will contribute to the program. Discuss the school resources and opportunities that will support your professional growth, such as clubs or global immersion programs. The key question to answer here will be - why do you want an MBA to get back into consulting, given you're already in a good global role? The scale and impact of MBB is attractive, but you might need a bit more to create a solid connect on the 'why' bit.
- Strong recommendations, including one from a Booth alum, will boost your application in the competitive Indian applicant pool. Ensure they have a clear overview of your goals and experiences, so they can write compelling and personalized letters highlighting your unique qualities. Their Booth credentials can help them contextualize better, but ultimately, they are writing about your goals and achievements.

Hope this helps. Get in touch directly for a chat or a profile evaluation on call.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey nydedan,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Based on the information provided, here's an evaluation of your chances at CBS and recommendations for which round to apply:

Chances at CBS:
Your profile showcases a strong career progression in the financial advisory field, with notable achievements such as leading a significant fundraising deal and receiving top ratings and promotions. These experiences demonstrate your skills in investment banking and your ability to take on leadership responsibilities. Your internships at tier-2 consulting firms and boutique financial advisory firm add valuable industry exposure and demonstrate your commitment to the business field. Additionally, your extracurricular activities, particularly your community involvement, showcase your commitment to social impact.

While your GPA is on the lower side, you have explained the circumstances behind it, which can help provide context to the admissions committee. Your strong performance in business-related and international courses can also be highlighted to showcase your aptitude and interest in the field.

Overall, your profile is competitive, especially if you can present a compelling story that connects your career progression, leadership experience, and community involvement. Keep in mind that CBS, being a top-tier business school, has a highly competitive applicant pool and admission decisions are influenced by various factors. Therefore, it is important to present a well-rounded application that showcases your strengths, achievements, and potential.

Application Round:
Given your strong profile and the competitive nature of CBS, it is generally recommended to apply in either the Early Decision (ED) or the first round. These rounds typically have higher acceptance rates and demonstrate your enthusiasm and commitment to the school. However, applying in the first round does not guarantee a significant advantage over the second round. If you need more time to finalize your application or retake the GMAT, it might be better to apply in the second round with a strong and well-prepared application rather than rushing your submission in the first round.

Consider your personal circumstances, the readiness of your application materials, and the timeline for your GMAT retake when deciding on the application round.

Remember, besides your academic and professional achievements, the admissions committee is interested in understanding your personal qualities, leadership potential, and fit with the school's culture and values. Craft your essays, recommendations, and interviews to reflect your unique story, aspirations, and how CBS can help you achieve your goals.

If you have any additional questions about your profile or the program and would like to have a more thorough and personalized discussion with our top profile experts, please feel free to schedule a call with us. We would be more than happy to assist you.
Book a free profile evaluation now!

Good luck with your applications!

Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
MBA and Beyond

nydedan wrote:

Background

Undergrad Info
- GPA 3.25 out of 4.0

Test Scores
- TOEFL 110

Internships

Community

Target Schools

Post-MBA Goals
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am assessing my chance for a place in Columbia MBA, and would appreciate any advice :)

GMAT 750
Chinese born and raised in Hong Kong
Male
29 years old
3+ years studying /working overseas
Currently in Hong Kong
FRM & CFA Charterholder
First gen college graduate
Language Spoken: Cantonese, Mandarin, English and some Japanese

Work Experience:
-close to 7 years of working experience in total
-Spent 4 years in a well-known French investment bank working as Equity Derivatives Structurer and Equity Derivative Sales, and was publicly recognized for achievements at APAC level.
-Currently working as a Structured Products Specialist at one of the largest Private Bank in the world, the team is very well-regarded both in terms of media coverage and internal evaluation, spent almost 3 years here and not planning to leave for now

Education:
- Bachelor of Economics at a top local university in Hong Kong (QS ranking no 34 in 2022)
- a low 2:1 (~3.0-3.1/4.0)
-overseas exchange experience in Korea, the UK , and Sweden

Extracurricular:
-Some mentorship to aspiring university students
- Badminton player at semi-competitive level
-Joined student club as committee but didn’t take up leadership roles

Career goal post MBA:
-To further my career and work as an investment strategist or structured products sales at top private banks in US / UK

Please provide your insights on my target schools and any other suggestions!
Do you think my low GPA is a deal breaker? (I have no excuse for it, I took too many part time jobs and internships, purely time management issues)

Thank you so much for taking the time.
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey @toooldformba,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

To begin with, your profile looks good on the surface. A GMAT score of 750 is excellent and will certainly enhance your chances of admission. It demonstrates your academic ability and aptitude for the program. Your undergraduate GPA is on the lower side. Your extensive international exchange experience in Korea, the UK, and Sweden demonstrates your global exposure and adaptability.

Speaking about your work experience, your seven years of work experience, including notable positions at a well-known French investment bank and one of the largest private banks in the world, showcase your expertise in equity derivatives and structured products. Your achievements at the APAC level and the reputation of your current team further strengthen your application.

While your extracurricular involvement may not be extensive, your mentorship activities and participation in badminton at a semi-competitive level show that you are well-rounded and have interests beyond academics and work.

Your career goal of working as an investment strategist or structured products salesperson at top private banks in the US or UK aligns well with the Columbia MBA program's focus on finance and business. Clearly articulating your goals and how the MBA will help you achieve them will be crucial in your application.
Considering your overall profile, Columbia is certainly a viable target school. However, applying to a range of schools is always advisable to maximize your chances of admission. Here are a few additional suggestions for target schools:
1. Harvard Business School
2. Stanford Graduate School of Business
3. Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
4. London Business School
5. INSEAD

While your GPA may be considered on the lower side, it's not necessarily a deal breaker, especially given your strong GMAT score, work experience, and other accomplishments. Admissions committees consider the entire application holistically, so be sure to emphasize your strengths, such as your professional achievements, international experience, and language skills, in your essays and interviews.

To further enhance your chances, you may also consider engaging in activities that showcase your leadership skills, such as taking up leadership roles in student clubs or volunteering in your community.

Overall, with your impressive background, a well-crafted application highlighting your strengths and aspirations, and strong recommendations, you have a good chance of securing admission to Columbia MBA or other top business schools.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Good luck with your application process!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

toooldformba? wrote:
I am assessing my chance for a place in Columbia MBA, and would appreciate any advice :)

GMAT 750
Male
29 years old
Currently in Hong Kong
FRM & CFA Charterholder

Work Experience:
-Spent 4 years in a well-known French investment bank working as Equity Derivatives Structurer and Equity Derivative Sales, and was publicly recognized for achievements at APAC level.
-Currently working as a Structured Products Specialist at one of the largest Private Bank in the world, the team is very well-regarded both in terms of media coverage and internal evaluation, spent almost 3 years here and not planning to leave for now

Education:
- Bachelor of Economics at a top local university in Hong Kong (QS ranking no 34 in 2022)

Extracurricular:

Career goal post MBA:
-To further my career and work as an investment strategist or structured products sales at top private banks in US / UK

Do you think my low GPA is a deal breaker? (I have no excuse for it, I took too many part time jobs and internships, purely time management issues)

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
toooldformba? wrote:

GMAT 750
Male
29 years old
Currently in Hong Kong
FRM & CFA Charterholder

Work Experience:

Education:

Extracurricular:

Career goal post MBA:

Hey Toooldformba,

Your profile is impressive, and your ambition for a place in Columbia MBA is commendable. To enhance your chances, address your GPA in the optional essay, explaining your growth from time management challenges and commitment to improvement.

Highlight your exceptional GMAT score of 750, showcasing your analytical prowess and problem-solving abilities. Emphasize your outstanding work experience, including recognition at the APAC level in a renowned French investment bank and your current role as a Structured Products Specialist at a prestigious private bank.

Quantify accomplishments, highlight leadership skills, and showcase cross-cultural adaptability. Expand your extracurricular involvement, taking on leadership roles and showcasing personal growth and community engagement.

Remember that GMAT is just 25% of your application and the rest depends on your application. Infuse bursts of personality and passion into your application, crafting a compelling narrative that showcases your unique experiences, growth, and aspirations.

Provide specific examples of leadership and impact at work, such as leading complex equity derivatives, managing client relationships, fostering collaboration, mentoring junior team members, contributing to team growth, and showcasing thought leadership.

By presenting yourself as a dynamic professional with a track record of success and the potential to make a meaningful impact, you can target some of the good schools like Columbia, London Business School, INSEAD, and Booth,

https://bit.ly/3DSH5km
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Stern '26 (S)
Send PM
Hello - Hoping you can give me insight on my profile's competitiveness for CBS. I understand that early decision has passed; I plan on applying for R2.

27M / Canadian
Undergrad: Top 15 in Canada / 3.24GPA / B.Comm

Work Experience: 5 years of commercial real estate acquisitions & asset management

Current Company:
- Owned by a top 3 global private equity firm, we're the largest player in our sector.
- Have directly closed over $4.5 billion CAD of real estate transactions, ~$1 billion of which I have lead and closed myself
- My role is front-facing acquisitions (think real estate assets and privatization of public companies)
- These deals are typically market setting and have captured headlines in major news outlets (think Bloomberg etc.)
- Directly oversee two junior analysts and responsible for their growth
- Have been promoted three times in three years at my current firm

Previous Role:
- Cross-border (US & Canada) real estate asset management. Was responsible for 40% of the firm's assets under management - company was also publicly traded in Canada
- Significant US work experience (I was flying down every 2-3 weeks)
- Managing teams within the US from Canada
- Was an Asset Manager straight out of school (typically takes 5-6 years for someone to get to such a position, this role was a major milestone / luck of the draw that I got into)
- Role was predominantly value realization, deal structuring, negotiation and managing teams + assets

GMAT: 730. Aiming to write again for 750

CFA Level 1

LOR's: Will be a strong one from my previous firm's COO / Principal

Extracurricular: Run real estate clubs in my city, participation in DEI groups within my company, volunteer work through my firm

GPA was low due to working full-time as an analyst at another private equity shop, while in full-time school. My plan is to address this in the supplemental essay and touch on the lessons learned while trying to take on more than I can handle at one time, and the importance of prioritization in life.

Note: All my relevant grades for an MBA (ie. Accounting, economics, finance etc.) are A- or higher

Post-Grad: Big reason I want to go to Columbia is the real estate focus, Paul Milstein Centre, the faculty and the location speaks for itself. My goal is to be part of the real estate community in NYC either in investment banking or continuing on in real estate private equity.

Looking forward to your insights!

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
CRECaptain wrote:
Hello - Hoping you can give me insight on my profile's competitiveness for CBS. I understand that early decision has passed; I plan on applying for R2.

27M / Canadian

Work Experience: 5 years of commercial real estate acquisitions & asset management

Current Company:
- Owned by a top 3 global private equity firm, we're the largest player in our sector.
- Have directly closed over $4.5 billion CAD of real estate transactions, ~$1 billion of which I have lead and closed myself
- My role is front-facing acquisitions (think real estate assets and privatization of public companies)
- These deals are typically market setting and have captured headlines in major news outlets (think Bloomberg etc.)

Previous Role:
- Cross-border (US & Canada) real estate asset management. Was responsible for 40% of the firm's assets under management - company was also publicly traded in Canada
- Was an Asset Manager straight out of school (typically takes 5-6 years for someone to get to such a position, this role was a major milestone / luck of the draw that I got into)
- Role was predominantly value realization, deal structuring, negotiation and managing teams + assets

CFA Level 1

Extracurricular: Run real estate clubs in my city, participation in DEI groups within my company, volunteer work through my firm

GPA was low due to working full-time as an analyst at another private equity shop, while in full-time school. My plan is to address this in the supplemental essay and touch on the lessons learned while trying to take on more than I can handle at one time, and the importance of prioritization in life.

Note: All my relevant grades for an MBA (ie. Accounting, economics, finance etc.) are A- or higher

Post-Grad: Big reason I want to go to Columbia is the real estate focus, Paul Milstein Centre, the faculty and the location speaks for itself. My goal is to be part of the real estate community in NYC either in investment banking or continuing on in real estate private equity.

Thanks

Overall excellent work profile with good achievements and a perfect fit for CBS.
Your current Gmat score is not less either but a higher score can help mitigate concerns over a low GPA. As you plan to use the optional essay to explain the GPA, a few ways that would help show academic preparedness could be:
1. A's in undergrad businees courses as you mentioned
2. CFA
3. Highly quant and analysis heavy work.

An update on the deadlines- CBS has done away with rolling deadlines and has R1 deadline on 13 Sep, R2 in Jan. You can plan the Gmat retake accordingly.

Namita Garg
Mbadecoder.com

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
CRECaptain

Very solid profile for Colombia, and if you manage to bring up your GMAT a bit to the 750 I would encourage you to apply to Wharton as well big focus on real estate. You seem really clear on your goals and I like the progression. Interesting with the international work experience. Not terribly worried about the GPA given that you have good grades in quant related subjects, would be helpful to know what your quant score is for the GMAT. I think it's cool that you already have so much leadership experience, there's a lot to like here. Solid solid solid.

My recommendation would be to consider how you have solved various problems and achieved quantifiable impact outside of revenue numbers. Which are of course important but it might be helpful to articulate your value in a number of different ways.

Hopefully the investment you've made in the extracurriculars might also speak to your impact and leadership skills – find a way to show impact there.

Re LOR, don’t pick the highest ranked person unless they are willing to be coached; you can brainstorm anecdotes together. Who is a good storyteller and has witnessed you at close proximity doing the leadership teamwork and problem solving stuff. Do not just pitch that over the fence and hope for the best.

CRECaptain wrote:

27M / Canadian

Current Company:

Previous Role:

CFA Level 1

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GRE 1: Q163 V160
Send PM
Hi Folks! Would love your thoughts on my chances at CBS (and a few other schools) this year.

Demographic: 26 yo Indian Male living in India
Undergrad: BA Economics at top 10 institute in India
GPA: 62.75% (Sounds low, but I was among the top 5-10 in my class of 70, my uni was notoriously stingy with grades)
GMAT: 720 Q49, V40 (considering a retake)
Workex: 5 years at matriculation

Previous role: 2.5 years at a Series A fintech startup. Joined as an intern, promoted to hire and manage my own sales and growth marketing team within 6 months. Worked across multiple projects in sales, growth, operations, product and finance. The last role was CFO's office
Current role: 2.5 years at a leading early-stage Indian venture capital firm focussed on deep-tech and core science investments. Joined as an intern, promoted twice in 2 years. Sourced and led multiple deals, and managed the firm's PR and hiring function. Have a return offer from the fund to join them after the MBA if I want to. Everyone at the fund would be happy to write me an LOR.

Extracurricular: Co-leading two of the largest Indian VC/PE communities, organised meetups, talks etc. I also run a newsletter (60+ weekly editions, 1200+ subs) that helps aspiring VCs to break into the industry, and have organised career mentorship sessions at leading institutes (BITS, IITs etc.) Took part in an International Space Settlement Design Competition organised by NASA in high school, worked with students from 4 countries in my team and finished as runners-up. Held many leadership positions in college for fests, committees etc. Intra-college football team champions, best player.

Post MBA goals:
Short-term (in order of preference) - (1)Work in Consulting/IB in the US/UK/Middle East, or (2) return to the Indian VC space (given my return offer and network, this is not impossible. However, a stint in consulting or IB is well regarded by the more prominent funds in India. Also, paying back student debt is easier)
(Very) Long-term: Start a VC/PE fund in India

Targets (reason): Kellogg (consulting), Columbia (consulting/IB), Tuck (consulting), Stern (consulting/IB), LBS (consulting/IB), INSEAD (consulting). I also have a deferred MBA admission offer from ISB (consulting) for next year, but hoping to break into one of the above.

I hope this gives a decent picture of my profile so far. I'd love for your honest opinions on my chances and any constructive feedback that I can act on.

Thanks in advance, and I wish everyone the best of luck for the admissions season!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
keynesfan:

This list of schools feels very appropriate and a good fit if your goals are truly to break into consulting. Not sure we understand the appeal of investment banking given your experience in VC/PE, but of course that's entirely up to you.

We'll take your word about your GPA relative to your school. That might be something, if delicately articulated, you could write about in the optional essay for each school.

Are you applying this year? If so, how far along are you in the process? Deadlines are fast approaching for R1. If R2, then you are in good shape but should probably get started soon given the number of schools on your list.

We're happy to chat if you are seeking professional help.

https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GRE 1: Q163 V160
Send PM
Admissionado wrote:
keynesfan:

This list of schools feels very appropriate and a good fit if your goals are truly to break into consulting. Not sure we understand the appeal of investment banking given your experience in VC/PE, but of course that's entirely up to you.

We'll take your word about your GPA relative to your school. That might be something, if delicately articulated, you could write about in the optional essay for each school.

Are you applying this year? If so, how far along are you in the process? Deadlines are fast approaching for R1. If R2, then you are in good shape but should probably get started soon given the number of schools on your list.

We're happy to chat if you are seeking professional help.

https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/

Hi Admissionado, really appreciate the quick response!

Any thoughts on my chances at Kellogg and Columbia? Given that I'm in an over-represented candidate pool, would it make sense for me to apply to these colleges in this round, or would it be advisable to retake the GMAT and try for round 2 to improve my chances?

I've lined up my applications for this round, but may retake the GMAT to give the other M7 a swing. Will reach out to you for that a month or two down the line.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
keynesfan wrote:
Hi Folks! Would love your thoughts on my chances at CBS (and a few other schools) this year.

GPA: 62.75% (Sounds low, but I was among the top 5-10 in my class of 70, my uni was notoriously stingy with grades)

Previous role: 2.5 years at a Series A fintech startup. Joined as an intern, promoted to hire and manage my own sales and growth marketing team within 6 months. Worked across multiple projects in sales, growth, operations, product and finance. The last role was CFO's office
Current role: 2.5 years at a leading early-stage Indian venture capital firm focussed on deep-tech and core science investments. Joined as an intern, promoted twice in 2 years. Sourced and led multiple deals, and managed the firm's PR and hiring function. Have a return offer from the fund to join them after the MBA if I want to. Everyone at the fund would be happy to write me an LOR.

Extracurricular: Co-leading two of the largest Indian VC/PE communities, organised meetups, talks etc. I also run a newsletter (60+ weekly editions, 1200+ subs) that helps aspiring VCs to break into the industry, and have organised career mentorship sessions at leading institutes (BITS, IITs etc.) Took part in an International Space Settlement Design Competition organised by NASA in high school, worked with students from 4 countries in my team and finished as runners-up. Held many leadership positions in college for fests, committees etc. Intra-college football team champions, best player.

Post MBA goals:
Short-term (in order of preference) - (1)Work in Consulting/IB in the US/UK/Middle East, or (2) return to the Indian VC space (given my return offer and network, this is not impossible. However, a stint in consulting or IB is well regarded by the more prominent funds in India. Also, paying back student debt is easier)

Targets (reason): Kellogg (consulting), Columbia (consulting/IB), Tuck (consulting), Stern (consulting/IB), LBS (consulting/IB), INSEAD (consulting). I also have a deferred MBA admission offer from ISB (consulting) for next year, but hoping to break into one of the above.

I hope this gives a decent picture of my profile so far. I'd love for your honest opinions on my chances and any constructive feedback that I can act on.

Thanks in advance, and I wish everyone the best of luck for the admissions season!

keynesfan - having worked in consulting in the Middle East post my MBA, happy to share some thoughts and feedback from an initial assessment:

1. Your GPA would likely be a concern given that your target schools are quite competitive. Explaining your uni's grading methodology in the application (e.g. optional essay) could help. A strong GMAT score would better alleviate the concerns here, hence I suggest a retake.

2. Your professional experiences are interesting: stints in start-ups and VC, including promotions, are highly valued given the breadth and depth of the roles. Aim to highlight the various skills you picked up in these roles, the leadership roles you took, key learnings, and how these translate to your goals post MBA. Having clear responses to why consulting/IB, why MBA, why now, why "our school" can help strengthen the application.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to reach out for a deeper chat or if you need support on your applications.

Regards,
Arvind
HEC Paris MBA alum, Admissions interviewer
W:https://admitstreet.com| E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello keynesfan,

I hope you are doing good. You have a strong and diverse profile with a lot of valuable experiences, and it's clear that you've been a high achiever throughout your academic and professional journey. BA in Economics from a top 10 institute in India: Even though your GPA might appear lower on a percentage scale, explaining the grading rigor and your rank in the class will help admissions committees understand your performance better. A score of 720 is competitive and should help you stand out among applicants. While considering a retake is an option, your current score is within a range that many top schools find acceptable.

Speaking about your work experience, your experience is a significant strength. You've shown remarkable growth and impact in both your previous fintech startup role and your current venture capital role. Rapid promotions and contributions across various aspects of business and leadership roles reflect positively on your potential for an MBA.

Coming to your ECs, your involvement in VC/PE communities, organizing meetups, running a newsletter, and your accomplishments in college and high school demonstrate leadership, initiative, and a commitment to your interests. Your participation in the International Space Settlement Design Competition is a unique and interesting addition to your profile.

Your goals are well-defined, showing a clear understanding of how an MBA fits into your career trajectory. Short-term goals align with your experiences, and your long-term vision of starting a VC/PE fund in India is ambitious and could resonate well with admissions committees. Kellogg, Columbia, Tuck, Stern, LBS, and INSEAD are all reputable schools with strong MBA programs. Your aspirations align well with these schools' strengths in consulting, IB, and entrepreneurship.

1. While your profile is impressive, consider addressing your GPA in your optional essay, providing context on the grading scale and your performance relative to your peers.
2. If you're able to improve your GMAT score, it could slightly enhance your competitiveness, especially for schools with very competitive applicant pools.
3. Ensure that your application materials, essays, and letters of recommendation align with your narrative of growth, leadership, and impact.

Overall, you've built an impressive foundation for your MBA application. Focus on telling your story, emphasizing your leadership journey, and showcasing your passion for the industry and your long-term goals.

Good luck with your application process!

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
MBA and Beyond

keynesfan wrote:

Post MBA goals:

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello CRECaptain,
I hope you are doing good.

You have a strong and compelling profile that aligns well with Columbia Business School's (CBS) MBA program, particularly given your career in commercial real estate and your clear aspirations. Your GMAT score of 730 is strong, and aiming for 750 would add an extra layer of competitiveness to your application. Addressing your GPA in the supplemental essay is a good idea. Use this space to provide context for your lower GPA and highlight the lessons learned from managing work and academics simultaneously.

Your experience in commercial real estate acquisitions and asset management is a standout feature. The fact that you've been involved in high-value deals, have led significant transactions, and have been promoted multiple times in a short span highlights your impact and leadership. Your rapid career progression, promotions, and the responsibility you've handled at such a young age demonstrate your exceptional capabilities and value to your employers. Your experience in complex financial transactions and asset management, coupled with your strong academic performance in relevant subjects, showcases your quantitative skills, which are highly valued in MBA programs. Leading junior analysts and being responsible for their growth underscores your leadership skills. Managing teams across borders and being an Asset Manager straight out of school indicate your maturity and adaptability.

Your engagement in real estate clubs, DEI groups, and volunteer work further demonstrates your commitment to your field and your community. Your goal of becoming part of the real estate community in NYC aligns well with Columbia's strengths. Be sure to clearly connect your current expertise with your future aspirations in your application essays.

Given your background, accomplishments, and aspirations, you have a competitive profile for Columbia Business School. However, keep in mind that the application process is holistic, and it's essential to tell your story effectively through your essays and interviews. Showcase how your experiences, goals, and values align with CBS's offerings.

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
MBA and Beyond

CRECaptain wrote:

27M / Canadian

Current Company:

Previous Role:

CFA Level 1

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
keynesfan wrote:

Post MBA goals:

keynesfan I am an INSEAD alumna and have served tenure as INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer. Hope I can add my perspective to your concerns.

I think you have a very strong profile, just the kind of zeal that top 10 global schools want to see in applicants applying for consulting or IB /VC. The icing on the cake is your intense involvement in the VC /PE communities, which in itself highlights your interest in the field and your ability to network (a fundamental skill for people in this field).

Try to improve your GMAT if you can, as early as possible. But I would not worry too much about it, at least for INSEAD, because honestly
1. your score is balanced, and you have a solid V40
2. the school puts much more emphasis on the quality of your work experience than on the GMAT overall (they take into account the individual quantitative and verbal scores and a Q49 is decent).

As for your post MBA, I would say to be a little careful in setting them, as Indian applicants without prior experience in IB may have trouble drawing the right opportunities from a year-long program, especially in a new geographic context. It is important to show readiness for your immediate goals (skills and network) and communicate them strategically to the admissions committee.

Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you need help navigating your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   
Moderator:
234 posts