Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:28 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Columbia Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
CRECaptain wrote:
Hello - Hoping you can give me insight on my profile's competitiveness for CBS. I understand that early decision has passed; I plan on applying for R2.

27M / Canadian
Undergrad: Top 15 in Canada / 3.24GPA / B.Comm

Work Experience: 5 years of commercial real estate acquisitions & asset management

Current Company:
- Owned by a top 3 global private equity firm, we're the largest player in our sector.
- Have directly closed over $4.5 billion CAD of real estate transactions, ~$1 billion of which I have lead and closed myself
- My role is front-facing acquisitions (think real estate assets and privatization of public companies)
- These deals are typically market setting and have captured headlines in major news outlets (think Bloomberg etc.)
- Directly oversee two junior analysts and responsible for their growth
- Have been promoted three times in three years at my current firm

Previous Role:
- Cross-border (US & Canada) real estate asset management. Was responsible for 40% of the firm's assets under management - company was also publicly traded in Canada
- Significant US work experience (I was flying down every 2-3 weeks)
- Managing teams within the US from Canada
- Was an Asset Manager straight out of school (typically takes 5-6 years for someone to get to such a position, this role was a major milestone / luck of the draw that I got into)
- Role was predominantly value realization, deal structuring, negotiation and managing teams + assets

GMAT: 730. Aiming to write again for 750

CFA Level 1

LOR's: Will be a strong one from my previous firm's COO / Principal

Extracurricular: Run real estate clubs in my city, participation in DEI groups within my company, volunteer work through my firm

GPA was low due to working full-time as an analyst at another private equity shop, while in full-time school. My plan is to address this in the supplemental essay and touch on the lessons learned while trying to take on more than I can handle at one time, and the importance of prioritization in life.

Note: All my relevant grades for an MBA (ie. Accounting, economics, finance etc.) are A- or higher

Post-Grad: Big reason I want to go to Columbia is the real estate focus, Paul Milstein Centre, the faculty and the location speaks for itself. My goal is to be part of the real estate community in NYC either in investment banking or continuing on in real estate private equity.

Looking forward to your insights!

Thanks

👋 Hey CRECaptain,

Here is a detailed profile evaluation for you!

👉 Your GMAT score of 730 is competitive for CBS, and aiming for a 750 would be a strong boost. The CFA Level 1 further accentuates your finance acumen.

➡️ Professional Distinction: Your experience in commercial real estate, especially with a top global private equity firm, stands out. Leading and closing ~$1 billion CAD transactions showcases high-level responsibilities and achievements. Rapid promotions and managing junior analysts demonstrate leadership and growth. Your previous role, especially the cross-border experience and the accelerated position as an Asset Manager, adds significant depth.

➡️ Extracurriculars: Leading real estate clubs and participation in DEI initiatives further shape your holistic profile, illustrating leadership and community involvement.

➡️ Application Strategy: Remember that GMAT is just 1/4th of your application so the rest depends on how you can showcase your profile to the admission committee in the supplemental essay, especially when contextualising the full-time work undertaken alongside. Strong LOR from a previous firm's COO/Principal will provide invaluable credibility.

➡️ Alignment with CBS: Your motivation for choosing CBS due to its real estate focus, the Paul Milstein Centre, and its location is well-aligned. Your post-graduation goals sync with CBS's strengths in finance and its New York City location.

➡️ Summary: You have a formidable profile for CBS. Ensuring strong essays that articulate your journey, learnings, and aspirations will be pivotal. With a cohesive application, you still stand a solid chance at CBS for R1. I would suggest you target a list of schools consisting of Cornell, Kellogg, UC Berkeley Haas, and Yale.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

👉 Click Here to Set-Up a FREE Call 👈
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GRE 1: Q161 V166
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Re: Columbia Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
* 26M, African international but lived and worked in the US for a decade (Full tuition undergrad scholarship + started college at 16 years. 5 ish years of work experience)
* GPA: 3.51 ECE + Math minor (non-target)| GRE: 161Q/166V (worried about this but hope STEM degree + work experience speak to ability to handle analytical rigor)
* 5 YOE/will matriculate with 6 years.
* Hardware engineer @ F500 mfg giant -> tesla -> Meta -> another FAANG -> AI startup
* Co-founder of an Africa focused startup on the side
* R1: HBS, Columbia, Sloan
* EC: Led community org on campus for 2 years. Drove community involvement efforts for F500 company. Started an org during covid to help black/African immigrants find their community.
* Post MBA Goal: Entrepreneurship - looking to build an AI + mfg startup.

HBS is the dream, but Sloan would be great too. If note work out then it's likely GSB/Haas R2. (Ranked in order of likelihood of meeting co-founder + boost in fundraising prospects)

I'd appreciate thoughts!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
nir4l wrote:
* 26M, African international but lived and worked in the US for a decade (Full tuition undergrad scholarship + started college at 16 years. 5 ish years of work experience)
* GPA: 3.51 ECE + Math minor (non-target)| GRE: 161Q/166V (worried about this but hope STEM degree + work experience speak to ability to handle analytical rigor)
* 5 YOE/will matriculate with 6 years.
* Hardware engineer @ F500 mfg giant -> tesla -> Meta -> another FAANG -> AI startup
* Co-founder of an Africa focused startup on the side
* R1: HBS, Columbia, Sloan
* EC: Led community org on campus for 2 years. Drove community involvement efforts for F500 company. Started an org during covid to help black/African immigrants find their community.
* Post MBA Goal: Entrepreneurship - looking to build an AI + mfg startup.

HBS is the dream, but Sloan would be great too. If note work out then it's likely GSB/Haas R2. (Ranked in order of likelihood of meeting co-founder + boost in fundraising prospects)

I'd appreciate thoughts!

👋 Hey nir4l,

Here is what I would suggest:

🌍 Your journey from Africa to the USA, with a passion for startups, stands out. Your transitions between Tesla, Meta, and FAANG denote adaptability and high performance.

📈 Strengths:
➡️ Work Exclusivity: Roles at Tesla and FAANG companies underline your proficiency in tech. You've likely dealt with billion-dollar projects and groundbreaking innovations.
➡️ Entrepreneurial Zeal: Your Africa-focused startup shows initiative and passion to drive change in your homeland.

🔍 Areas to Enhance:
➡️ GRE Quant: While your Verbal score is impressive, the Quant score may be viewed as a bit low, especially considering your STEM background, but overall score is an impressive one.
➡️ Clarity of Goals: With such diverse experiences, you need a crystal-clear narrative on why an MBA is the logical next step.

🌐 Recommendations:
➡️ Highlight projects where you applied quantitative skills, such as improving a product's efficiency by 15% using data analysis.
➡️ Detail the specific gaps an MBA will fill for you. Maybe it's scaling startups, and you aim to use the MBA to learn growth strategies employed by giants like Tesla or Meta.

Target Schools:
➡️ Dream - Chicago Booth, Oxford, Wharton
➡️ Competitive - Duke, Kellogg, NYU, Ross, Cornell
➡️ Safe - Vanderbilt, UNC, USC Marshall

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

👉 Click Here to Set-Up a FREE Call 👈
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619509 [0]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Expert Reply
Columbia Profile Evaluation
Introducing New Better Profile Evaluations on GMAT Club!

Considering your application to a B-School? The first step in this significant journey is to evaluate your profile to gauge where you stand among the vast pool of applicants. We're excited to introduce a NEW and IMPROVED consolidated list of tools and platforms available on GMAT Club to assist you in this endeavor.