It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 07:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Frustration: MGMAT guides and OG problems - Please help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Frustration: MGMAT guides and OG problems - Please help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 04:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi guys :wave: :-) ,

this is my first post here in this awesome community. Over the past 3 weeks I read a lot in this forum or reviewed OG problems and it was amazingly helpful. Thank you all!

Currently my frustration increases because I have only 4 more weeks until test date and I feel like I'm failing on too many questions in the "moderate" area. I hope you can help me out, but first some information about me and my studies:

About me:
I recently finished my undergraduate degree in Business Administration in Germany. Now I'm planning to do a top graduate programme in Germany (deadline for application is February 2018), so I need the GMAT.

Materials I use:
- MGMAT Strategy Guides 6th edition (complete pack with 10 books)
- Official Guide 2017
- GMAT ToolKit App (e.g. when traveling or waiting)

Current progress:
I finished the third guide "Word Problems" today. So I covered the major topics of FDP / Algebra / Word Problems until now. I go through the theory of each strategy guide writing flash cards and learning and repeating the theoretical concepts (as well as the strategies like Smart Numbers, Work Backwards, Testing Cases, Draw it out...).

OG problems:
I do OG problems only through the "mid-term-quiz" and "final-quiz" in each of the strategy guides. I do the "easier set" and "moderate set" and leave the "harder set" because I am "only" aiming for 600+. This way I solve around 45-60 OG problems per strategy guide. As a result I solved a total of ~160 OG problems until now, shared over the topics of FDP, Algebra and Word Problems. (Question number one: Is that enough?!).

I review the wrong questions but I find the solutions and explanations in the OG very complicated and not useful. So most of the time I review the questions using this forum to see different approaches to solve a problem.

My biggest problem:
I find myself reviewing all the theoretical concepts and understanding them well in my opinion. I was always good in verbal but never a pro in math and I had a hard time remembering and relearning all the basic math concepts. I solve the majority of the problems after each chapter in a strategy guide correct with no major problems. However, when I move on to the OG problems, I get approximately 60-70% right on the "easier sets", and only 30-40% right on the "moderate sets".
I feel depressed every time when I spent 2-3 days working through a strategy guide, solving the majority of the practice questions in the strategy guide right, and then get such a bad quote in the OG problems.

I tried to figure out why I miss the OG problems (especially the "moderate" ones) that often, and for now I realized that I have to read most of the questions at least twice to know what it's asking (because of the weird sentence structure and questions). I also have a very hard time doing the "textbook" math and setting up formulas based on the problem. That is why I don't like the OG solutions and explanations that much, because it's almost every time an algebraic solution.

So far, I really don't know what do to. I mastered every challenge in my life but this exam is driving me crazy and I'm always scared that it's possible that I can not reach the 600+ because I am not smart enough for this kind of math/logic. However, I do have hope that the verbal part fits my skills and talents a little bit more, but I plan to begin with verbal in 14 days at earliest.

I would be really thankful if you guys could help me out with some suggestions or ideas what improve or what to do next. :-)

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 228 [1], given: 97

Reviews Badge
Re: Frustration: MGMAT guides and OG problems - Please help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 09:37
This post received
KUDOS
Shoxx2017

Did you take mock gmatprep test yet?

+1 Kudos is the best way to say "Thank you!"

Kudos [?]: 228 [1], given: 97

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 11:54
Not yet, I took a diagnostic test around 5 weeks ago totally unprepared. The score was 450, but I had plenty of time on both sections left, so I think it's not really representative.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3523 [1], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Shoxx2017,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
3) What is your goal score?
4) What is your exact Official Test Date?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3523 [1], given: 173

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 04:52
Hey Rich, :)

thank you for the quick reply. Here are my answers to your questions:

1) How long have you studied?
I have been studying for 4 weeks now.

2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
I did only one CAT totally cold and unprepared and scored something like 25Q/24V. But as written before, I think it's not representative because I was not focused and had plenty of time left on both sections.

3) What is your goal score?
600+. 630-650 would be the ultimate goal. No need for 700 or something.

4) What is your exact Official Test Date?
19 October 2017

5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
February 2018

6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
Top BS in Germany like Mannheim or WHU

Best regards and thank you in advance!

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3523 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 21:16
Hi Shoxx2017,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so since you've been studying for just 4 weeks, you should not expect to have mastered any of the concepts just yet. By extension, you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date so that you have the necessary time to properly train to hit your score goal.

That having been said, since it's been over a month since you took that initial practice CAT, you should plan to take a new one soon (so that we can measure your progress so far). You should take that CA in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3523 [0], given: 173

Re: Frustration: MGMAT guides and OG problems - Please help!   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2017, 21:16

Frustration: MGMAT guides and OG problems - Please help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap