GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) is a protein that emits bright light i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) is a protein that emits bright light i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Oct 2018, 20:15
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 42 sessions

26% (03:55) correct 74% (03:44) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 52 sessions

58% (00:55) correct 42% (00:55) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 50 sessions

74% (01:32) correct 26% (01:15) wrong

Question 4
A
B
C
D
E

based on 49 sessions

96% (01:02) correct 4% (00:37) wrong

Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) is a protein that emits bright light in the green segment of the visible spectrum upon exposure to blue light. Its properties were first researched in 1962 by Osamu Shimomura, a Japanese scientist who studied the bioluminescence of Crystal Jellyfish, or Aequorea victoria. Shimomura discovered that such biologically-generated glow is produced when the jellyfish produces calcium ions. The ionized calcium is absorbed by a protein that produces blue luminescence upon binding with calcium, called Aequorin. Crystal jellyfish typically have nodes of Aequorin on the rim of their umbrella, but Shimomura found that these photosensitive organs are composed of another type of protein. The blue light resulting from the Aequorin calcium binding is received by the protein now known as GFP. Since GFP's major excitation peak is at a wavelength of 395nm, or in other words - blue light, it becomes active and emits visible light whose peak is at 509nm, i.e., green light. This creates a circle of greenish light around the jellyfish's umbrella. Shimomura et al received a Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the discovery and development of GFP.

GFP has numerous uses in cellular and molecular biology, most commonly as a reporter of expression. In layman's terms, Green Fluorescent Protein is used as an indicator to the activation of certain genes into which it is spliced. This means that only the cells in which those specific genes are activated will fluoresce green under a blue light. This has been tremendously useful in mapping out the connection between DNA strings in genes and the biological systems which they control.

Another field where GFP was found to be profoundly useful is fluorescence microscopy. Before the discovery of GFP and its derivatives, fluorescent microscopists used synthetic fluorophores to dye the target sample. However, such fluorophores were found to be highly phototoxic, as the light they emitted was transferred to oxygen molecules in the cells under examination. This provoked the creation of oxygen radicals that could kill a living cell in seconds. GFP has proven to be dramatically less phototoxic, thereby revolutionizing this field of science.

1. The relationship between cells under examination in fluorescence microscopy and oxygen molecules is most similar to which of the following?

A. the relationship between human beings and the air they breathe
B. the relationship between the ecosystem and industrial pollution poisoning it
C. the relationship between a sovereign state in which the citizens are deliberating a revolt and those citizens
D. the relationship between a machine and a faulty cogwheel
E. the relationship between two enemy armies ready for war

Before we try to find the correct answer for this Application question, let's establish what the relationship mentioned in the question stem is. Our Initial Reading points us to the third paragraph, which deals with fluorescence microscopy. Regarding oxygen molecules, we read that the light ... emitted was transferred to oxygen molecules in the cells under examination. This provoked the creation of oxygen radicals that could kill a living cell in seconds. Therefore, we're looking for a relationship in which the second item (oxygen molecules appear second in the question stem) is a part of the first item (cells under examination). The second sentence tells us that the second item can destroy the first if it is somehow provoked. Answer C: The citizens are a part of the state, but may overthrow (destroy) it in a revolt if they are provoked.

2. The author refers to oxygen radicals in order to point out

A. the potential danger to human life when using a certain kind of fluorophore
B. that jellyfish can use their poison to introduce toxins to their victim's system
C. the reason for which GFP is no longer used in fluoresence microscopy
D. a negative effect that the use of GFP as an alternative dye in fluoresence microscopy has significantly reduced
E. the importance of GFP in the field of cellular biology

The sentence in which oxygen radicals are mentioned states that they can kill a living cell in seconds. The following sentence tells us that GFP has proven to be dramatically less phototoxic, i.e. much less dangerous to the cells under investigation. Answer D: GFP allows scientists to dye cells for examination under the microscope without the negative effect of killing them in seconds.

3. It can be inferred from the passage that Crystal Jellyfish

A. must have a constant supply of calcium to survive
B. have enough GFP to illuminate their way in the dark
C. do not require anything to spread a green glow
D. do not require an external blue light source to spread a green glow
E. use the circle of light on their umbrella to deter underwater predators

Answer D: In the first paragraph, Crystal Jellyfish are said to have nodes of Aequorin on the rim of their umbrella. In the next sentence, we read that the blue light resulting from the Aequorin calcium binding is received by the protein now known as GFP. This tells us the jellyfish do not need an external light source to glow green; they have the light source in their bodies, in the form of Aequorin.

4. Which of the following best describes the relation of the second paragraph to the passage as a whole?

A. It creates a logical connection between the first and third paragraphs.
B. It serves an an example of the theory presented in the first paragraph.
C. It presents a certain application, which is contrasted in the third paragraph.
D. It is the first of two paragraphs describing applications of the information presented in the first parargraph.
E. It repeats the technical information presented in the first paragraph in simpler terms.

Answer D: This answer choice tells it like it is - the second paragraph is the first of two paragraphs (the second is the third paragraph) that describe applications of information presented in the first paragraph, i.e., applications of GFP's unique properties.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Originally posted by reto on 07 Sep 2015, 11:04.
Last edited by workout on 28 Oct 2018, 20:15, edited 2 times in total.
Formatted, added timers
Manager
Manager
Re: Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) is a protein that emits bright light i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 02:20
Well, i have
D
D
D
D

and in even in GMAT Terms that seemed a bit too strange ;)

And in my opinion D fits better for question 1 than C. The second item (the faulty cogwheel) can destroy a machine within milliseconds should such a reaction be provoked (e.g. through bad maintenance etc.) Thats just my opinion, but D makes more sense in logical terms to me. Two armies ready for war can just as well be called off and nothing would happen...
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) is a protein that emits bright light i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 03:47
noTh1ng wrote:
Well, i have
D
D
D
D

and in even in GMAT Terms that seemed a bit too strange ;)

And in my opinion D fits better for question 1 than C. The second item (the faulty cogwheel) can destroy a machine within milliseconds should such a reaction be provoked (e.g. through bad maintenance etc.) Thats just my opinion, but D makes more sense in logical terms to me. Two armies ready for war can just as well be called off and nothing would happen...

Don't you think that you are assuming a bit too much with the faulty cogwheel? I am not a mechanic, but can a faulty cogwheel completly destroy a machine within seconds? The whole machine or just part of the machine? If it can make it disfunction, then it would not be the same... but otherwise who knows ... :)

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Manager
Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 15:16
reto, workout, tarunanandani, honneeey
could you please spare some time and explain why D is the answer for Q2. I really didn't follow option D at all.

B. that jellyfish can use their poison to introduce toxins to their victim's system
D. a negative effect that the use of GFP as an alternative dye in fluoresence microscopy has significantly reduced

I referred to the last para:
Another field where GFP was found to be profoundly useful is fluorescence microscopy. Before the discovery of GFP and its derivatives, fluorescent microscopists used synthetic fluorophores to dye the target sample. However, such fluorophores were found to be highly phototoxic, as the light they emitted was transferred to oxygen molecules in the cells under examination. This provoked the creation of oxygen radicals that could kill a living cell in seconds. GFP has proven to be dramatically less phototoxic, thereby revolutionizing this field of science.

My understanding: Author mentioned about another field where GFP is useful. Author says that before GFP was discovered, synthetic fluorophores was used to dye. this could cause problems kill the cell. The author concludes that GFP is less phototoxic.

Now, if we read the option D again,

"A negative effet that the use of GFP as an alt dye" <-- This statement is not given in the para. It can't be inferred as well. Author clearly stated that before discovery of GFP, some alt dye was used. GFP itself was not used as a dye.

Hence i thought E is the right answer as author concludes -->GFP has proven to be dramatically less phototoxic, thereby revolutionizing this field of science
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 20:16
Cinematiccuisine wrote:
reto, workout, tarunanandani, honneeey
could you please spare some time and explain why D is the answer for Q2. I really didn't follow option D at all.

I referred to the last para:

My understanding: Author mentioned about another field where GFP is useful. Author says that before GFP was discovered, synthetic fluorophores was used to dye. this could cause problems kill the cell. The author concludes that GFP is less phototoxic.

Now, if we read the option D again,

"A negative effet that the use of GFP as an alt dye" <-- This statement is not given in the para. It can't be inferred as well. Author clearly stated that before discovery of GFP, some alt dye was used. GFP itself was not used as a dye.

Hence i thought E is the right answer as author concludes -->GFP has proven to be dramatically less phototoxic, thereby revolutionizing this field of science

Hi,

You yourself have pointed to option D!

See, Even if there was some other dye that was used before GFP, option D still holds Valid in stating that the negative effects(refer "This provoked the creation of oxygen radicals that could kill a living cell in seconds. ..") is corrected by use of GFP(which has dramatically reduced the probability of cells being killed in the process).

option E starts well but ends too high to be properly substantiated by the prompt!

Can we really say the use of GFP has revolutionized the field of science? Not Sure!(Revolutions were IC engine, PCs etc).

Moreover, mere use of GFP which author has himself/herself mentioned has dramatically reduced not eradicated the phototoxicity completely.

In comparison, Choice D is a tad bit better than choice E!

Hope it helps!

Thanks and Regards,

Honneeey.

In former years,Used to run for "Likes", nowadays, craving for "Kudos". :D

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIMC PGPEX"20
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V21
GPA: 2.67
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2018, 23:03
Can experts( economist gmat) explain the Q1. it is very difficult for me to assimilate.

Regards
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) is a protein that emits bright light i &nbs [#permalink] 17 Nov 2018, 23:03

Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) is a protein that emits bright light i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap