Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.67
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q162 V157
GPA: 2.84
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Harvard Letter of Recommendation Word Count [#permalink]
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
I think this is a case by case situation; I had my client call McCombs and they said yes 500 is fine, another client call Kellogg about their reduced limits (same as HBS) and they said it is very strict do not submit longer recs. Can you please call admissions wraider84? My instinct is that they will say no but would be great to confirm. Its always so annoying having to whittle down the talking points for HBS. At least I can now repurpose for Kellogg, they also reduced the limits.

Hmm thanks I didn't even notice Kellogg had reduced it as well. I will try to reach out to both and find out. Really baffles me how difficult these schools make recommendations for the recommenders, has to leave a bad taste in some of their mouth's which seems counterproductive for the schools. Oh well, can only do what I can to help mine out, just feel bad because I am planning on applying to more schools than the average so didn't want too much work on their end
Manager
Manager
Send PM
A word of advice which worked for me as well. Use same recommendation letter for each university if word count and questions are same. Saves recommendor and applicants precious time. Letters are only formality anyways as admissions would be decided based on scores and your profile

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
saadim wrote:
A word of advice which worked for me as well. Use same recommendation letter for each university if word count and questions are same. Saves recommendor and applicants precious time. Letters are only formality anyways as admissions would be decided based on scores and your profile

Of course, but that is the point of this post. Harvard (and Kellogg) ask the same questions, but on a smaller word count and I want to know how strict they are to that or if we really have to answer the exact same questions twice on two word limits.

Also as much as I would like that to be true, saying admissions dont care about the rec letter seems like dangerous misinformation
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I mean unless the recommendors make a blunder admissions wont just hand you harvard admissions just because your boss wrote that you are a superstar. If you want to exceed word limit as well its fine with me. Experience it yourself whats true and whats not.
All the best do tell when you will get admitted into these universities so that others can know what worked for you

MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sorry saadim I realize that you might not be in a place to know this, and I don't mean to make you feel bad but what you are saying about recommendation letters being only a formality IS COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY WRONG.

I hope everyone reads this post. In actuality, recommendation letters are weighted THE SAME AS THE APPLICATION ESSAYS based on an extensive survey of admissions committees and for executive MBA applicants, weighted almost twice as much as the essays. Think about it: what do you trust more, what someone says about themselves or what their peers and managers say about them?

Using a copy/paste approach to applications is a sure-fire way to be dinged. It makes a lot of sense: I am recruiting for a position right now and if I don't feel they are speaking to what I wrote in the job description I will disregard their application straight away.

I do encourage applicants to apply strategically, and that means leaning towards schools with the common letter of recommendation. This speaks to strengths, response to feedback, and an optional section. This makes it easy on recommenders, and most importantly, makes everything less work so you can submit more apps, more times at bat.

But if the questions are different, only a fool would disregard those differences and paste their square response into a round hole.

If you are going about this process thinking of convenience to the recommender, well, I would suggest you value yourself more. When it comes to recommenders, my main questions are 1.) have they personally observed you demonstrating leadership, teamwork and problem-solving? and 2.) will they champion you, are they coachable, will they be willing to take out the time needed to get this right?

Because if they don't fit criteria #2 its a DEALBREAKER. Go to someone else. It is way way more important to work with someone who is willing to invest time and knows you well than someone high-ranking. High-ranking is bullshit.

I had a client who try to get a recommendation 2 levels up and this recommender BAILED when he realized it was more than a generic letter we needed. He gave us some crappy little generic statement and when that wasn't good enough he said sorry can't help you.

At the last minute we had to scramble and find another option. Thankfully we found an internal client who was eager to help and cooperative, the letter ended up being great. He got into Wharton with zero manager recommendations with a 650. And he is not URM.

Anyways, recommendations matter, you matter, recruit people who are supportive and willing to do what you need to get the admit you want. End rant!@#$

saadim wrote:

Manager
Manager
Send PM
MbAPrepCoach thats what I am saying prepare a standard answers to the questions NOT copy paste them sorry to say this but you are twisting my words yourself. Yes I agree with all your points about letter of recommendations. They should provide details about applicant with examples for each point and more in person the better.
Also the candidate that got into wharton was he an international student. He must be a superstar to get into wharton with 650 gmat being an international student. Admissions do care more about scores for international applicants and I dont know if you have personally ever applied to or gone to a b school but I have and can 100 percent tell you with certainity that this is the case except maybe harvard stanford both require exceptional profiles. For rest international students it boils down to gmat gpa scores with work experience the most important factor distingushing applicants from others

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived HBS Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our HBS Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated HBS Forum for all fresh things related to the HBS MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts