It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 12:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do you memorize formulas?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 68

CAT Tests
How do you memorize formulas? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 23:56
Dear friends,

I went through all GMATClub Math Workbook, download and printed all GMATClub FlashCards. But it is still hard to memorize all concepts and formulas, with reasoning. My best score on GMATClub Tests is 47/51. Any suggestions how I should memorize them?)

I don't like to just memorize formulas because it is a fast and fragile approach. Without critical thinking and reasoning - useless. So, how do you memorize your mistakes and work on weak points?

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [2], given: 4

Re: How do you memorize formulas? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 21:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Terabyte wrote:
Dear friends,

I went through all GMATClub Math Workbook, download and printed all GMATClub FlashCards. But it is still hard to memorize all concepts and formulas, with reasoning. My best score on GMATClub Tests is 47/51. Any suggestions how I should memorize them?)

I don't like to just memorize formulas because it is a fast and fragile approach. Without critical thinking and reasoning - useless. So, how do you memorize your mistakes and work on weak points?

Hi Terabyte,

Carolyn from Magoosh here! :-) Excellent question!

It sounds like you have the perfect perspective with regard to memorizing formulas. I definitely do not recommend just blindly memorizing equations! First of all, that's boring. And second of all, it's way too easy to make a small mistake, or forget which formula or version needs to be used on test day.

Instead, try to understand where each equation comes from, and try to learn how to derive it as best you can. Look at each element of the formula, and try to understand where it comes from and why it's there. The more you can understand these elements on a fundamental level, the easier it will be to remember the formula when you need it (or even derive it if necessary)!

For example, let's take a really simple (but super important!) equation that you need to know for the GMAT: Distance = Rate x Time. Now, on the test, if you're faced with a rate question, what if you don't remember if it's Distance = Rate / Time, or some other combinations? Well, for this equation (and many other equations that are applied to word problems), think about the units. Distance is measured in something like miles or meters, time is measured in seconds or hours, and a rate will be miles per hour, or meters per second. So think about how these units fit together. A rate will be a unit of distance divided by a unit of time (like miles per hour). So intuitively, we know:

Rate = Distance (miles) / Time (hour)

We can easily rearrange this formula:

Distance = Rate x Time

So we've essentially "derived" this formula, without having to memorize anything :-)

This is a pretty simple example, but this kind of strategy can be used for almost any formula you can think of on the GMAT! Try to be creative :-) The deeper your understanding is, the better -- and the less you'll have to rely on basic memorization. And if you're finding it overwhelming to keep track of everything, try to just focus on the essentials :-) Here are a few articles that might be useful for that!

I hope that's helpful! :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 21 [2], given: 4

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests
Re: How do you memorize formulas? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 05:57
Hello, MagooshExpert

That is the awesome answer! Thank you very much! Agree with you

Re: How do you memorize formulas?   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2017, 05:57

How do you memorize formulas?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap