GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 21:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How many different prime factors does x have?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1228
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User
How many different prime factors does x have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Apr 2015, 05:02
2
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:38) correct 42% (01:46) wrong based on 148 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

How many different prime factors does positive integer x have?

1) \(1 < x < 6\)

2) \(5x^2\) has four factors

Source: self-made

_________________

Originally posted by Harley1980 on 13 Apr 2015, 21:18.
Last edited by Harley1980 on 14 Apr 2015, 05:02, edited 2 times in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9125
Location: Pune, India
Re: How many different prime factors does x have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 23:25
3
2
Harley1980 wrote:
How many different prime factors does x have?

1) \(1 < x < 6\)

2) \(5x^2\) has four factors


You must specify that x is an integer since you are talking about factors of x - otherwise a discussion on factors makes no sense.
Assuming x is an integer, each statement alone is sufficient.

1) \(1 < x < 6\)
x could be 2/3/4/5. In each case, it has only one distinct PRIME factor. We don't know the value of x but we know that it will have only one distinct prime factor. Sufficient

2) \(5x^2\) has four factors.
Number of factors of 5x^2 will depend on x.

If x is 5, number of factors will be (3+1) = 4
If x is a prime number other than 5, number of factors will be (1+1)(2+1) = 2*3 = 6
If x is a composite number, number of factors will be even more.

Since number of factors is 4, x must be 5 and has one distinct prime factor. Sufficient

Answer (D)
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1228
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many different prime factors does x have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2015, 04:19
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
You must specify that x is an integer since you are talking about factors of x - otherwise a discussion on factors makes no sense.


I didn't know about such rule (
Thanks for clarification.
_________________
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2556
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: How many different prime factors does x have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 15:54
Harley1980 wrote:
How many different prime factors does positive integer x have?

1) \(1 < x < 6\)

2) \(5x^2\) has four factors

Source: self-made



1. basically tells that: x can be 2,3,4,5 - either case, each of the numbers has only 1 distinct positive factor - sufficient.

2. has 4 factors - 5, x, x^2, and 5x^2 - thus, x is a prime number. sufficient.

answer is D.
Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2613
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User
How many different prime factors does x have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 06:26
Great Question.
Here is what i did in this one =>
We need the number of prime factors of the positive integer x.
Statement 1=>
x=>(1,6)=> x=2,3,4,5=> In each case => x will have just one prime factor=> Sufficient.
Statement 2=> The only value of x possible is 5.
Hence x will have only one factor. Sufficient

Hence D.

_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 414
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Re: How many different prime factors does x have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 01:28
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
How many different prime factors does x have?

1) \(1 < x < 6\)

2) \(5x^2\) has four factors


You must specify that x is an integer since you are talking about factors of x - otherwise a discussion on factors makes no sense.
Assuming x is an integer, each statement alone is sufficient.

1) \(1 < x < 6\)
x could be 2/3/4/5. In each case, it has only one distinct PRIME factor. We don't know the value of x but we know that it will have only one distinct prime factor. Sufficient

2) \(5x^2\) has four factors.
Number of factors of 5x^2 will depend on x.

If x is 5, number of factors will be (3+1) = 4
If x is a prime number other than 5, number of factors will be (1+1)(2+1) = 2*3 = 6
If x is a composite number, number of factors will be even more.

Since number of factors is 4, x must be 5 and has one distinct prime factor. Sufficient

Answer (D)


Can you please explain why is it so?
If x is 5, number of factors will be (3+1) = 4 (this one is understandable, but why did you wite (3+1) - some rule?)
If x is a prime number other than 5, number of factors will be (1+1)(2+1) = 2*3 = 6
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How many different prime factors does x have?   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2017, 01:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How many different prime factors does x have?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.