Last visit was: 12 Jul 2024, 16:18 It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 16:18
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [41]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [14]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Corporate Finance (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [5]
Send PM
If 3 different integers are randomly selected from the integers from 1 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
idkhur wrote:
This is what I did. If you do 12C3, you'll get 12!/9!3! and you'll get 220. Now you know that 220 will be in the denominator when calculating the probability. Looking at the answer choices, 44 is the only number that is a factor of 220, so that is the only possible answer.
C. 19/44

Perfect!!!!

I specifically created this question to illustrate the importance of calculating the denominator first (when using counting techniques to solve a probability question)
There are two reasons why you should calculate the denominator first:

1) The denominator is almost always easier to calculate than the numerator, and while calculating the denominator, you may gain some insight into how to calculate the numerator.
2) Once you know the denominator, you can use this to eliminate answer choices. So, even if you don't know the correct answer, you can still eliminate some answers and increase your chances of guessing correctly.

If you're lucky, you can eliminate 4 of the 5 answer choices, as you have done above!!

Cheers,
Brent
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [4]
Send PM
If 3 different integers are randomly selected from the integers from 1 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
GMATPrepNow wrote:
If 3 different integers are randomly selected from the integers from 1 to 12 inclusive, what is the probability that a triangle can be constructed so that its 3 sides are the lengths of the 3 selected numbers?

A) 3/8
B) 7/18
C) 19/44
D) 39/88
E) 11/24

For this question, P(a triangle can be constructed with the 3 selected lengths) = (number of triangles with 3 lengths from 1 to 12 inclusive)/(TOTAL number of ways to select 3 numbers)

Let's calculate the denominator.

TOTAL number of ways to select 3 numbers
Since the order in which we select the 3 numbers doesn't matter, we can use COMBINATIONS.
We can select 3 numbers from 12 numbers in 12C3 ways.
12C3 = (12)(11)(10)/(3)(2)(1) = 220 ways

So, the correct answer will either be in the form k/220, OR some equivalent fraction in which the denominator is a FACTOR of 220.
For example, IF we calculate the numerator and get 110, then the answer = 110/220 = 1/2 (notice that 2 is a FACTOR of 220)
IF we calculate the numerator and get 15, then the answer = 15/220 = 3/44 (notice that 44 is a FACTOR of 220) And so on.

When we check the answer choices, we see that only one answer choice (C) has a denominator that's a FACTOR of 220.
So, C must be the correct answer.

We can answer the question without having to calculate the numerator (which is a time-consuming task)

On test day, it's unlikely that this technique will allow you to eliminate 4 answer choices. HOWEVER, if you're pressed for time, or you can't calculate the numerator, this technique may allow you to eliminate some of the answer choices and increase your likelihood of a correct guess.

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: If 3 different integers are randomly selected from the integers from 1 [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATPrepNow:
I have a doubt in the below Concept.
KEY CONCEPT: The longest side must be greater than the sum of the other two sides.

let's take an example from above.

The sample, 12,11,10. how Longest Side 12 is greater than sum of the other two sides.

In this case: 12 < 11+10 ? Could you please explain

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [1]
Send PM
Re: If 3 different integers are randomly selected from the integers from 1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
ragav182 wrote:
GMATPrepNow:
I have a doubt in the below Concept.
KEY CONCEPT: The longest side must be greater than the sum of the other two sides.

let's take an example from above.

The sample, 12,11,10. how Longest Side 12 is greater than sum of the other two sides.

In this case: 12 < 11+10 ? Could you please explain

Thanks

Ooooops!!
That SHOULD have read "KEY CONCEPT: The longest side must be less than the sum of the other two sides."
I've edited my response accordingly.
Kudos for you!!

Cheers and thanks,
Brent
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 576 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
idkhur wrote:
This is what I did. If you do 12C3, you'll get 12!/9!3! and you'll get 220. Now you know that 220 will be in the denominator when calculating the probability. Looking at the answer choices, 44 is the only number that is a factor of 220, so that is the only possible answer.
C. 19/44

Used the same process. Wasn't able to get to the Pattern quick enough in which the 3 Integers chosen would make the successful side lengths.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Send PM
Great question.

Used the same method: 12C3 = 95/220

Which led me to eliminate 4 answer choices and arrive at C.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 851 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94302 posts