Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Arithmeticx   Word Problemsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618779 [80]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618779 [14]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1492 [4]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: If the length of Wanda's telephone call was rounded up to the nearest [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Difficulty level: 650

We have to find the duration of the call say N minutes.

1. Statement 1: It gives information about the cost of total call however we do not know per minute cost hence can not calculate the minutes.

2. Statement 2: We know that the cost of first minute was higher by 0.50 cents however we do not know the cost of subsequent minutes. Secondly, we cant calculate the duration of the call with this information.

Put together, we know the total cost and also know that cost of first minute was higher by 0.50. If for example cost of subsequent minutes were 50 cents, the total duration would have been 12 minutes. Reduce the cost of call made after first minute, the duration will change.

Hence answer is E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: If the length of Wanda's telephone call was rounded up to the nearest [#permalink]
Total call minutes=Total call cost/Cost per min
(i) m=6.5/c insufficient
(ii)m={(c+0.5)+c*(m-1)}/c insufficient
combining;
m can't be calculated
so, (E)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618779 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The Official Guide Quantitative Question Directory: the-official-guide-quantitative-question-directory-143450.html (All OG13 questions with solutions)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

If the length of Wanda's telephone call was rounded up to the nearest whole minute by her telephone company, then Wanda was charged for how many minutes for her telephone call?

(1) The total charge for Wanda's telephone call was $6.50. Clearly insufficient since we don't know the cost per minute of call.

(2) Wanda was charged $0.50 more for the first minute of the telephone call than for each minute after the first. So, if the first minute costs \($(x+0.5)\) then each succeeding minute costs \($x\). Still not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We have that \((x+0.5)+x(n-1)=6.5\) --> \(xn=6\), where \(n\) is the number of minutes. We have one equation and two unknowns, hence we cannot solve for \(n\). Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

I've just an important question (at least imo). I solved the problem correctly but it took me a too much time. I also ended up with an equation with two unknowns. But since they said "telephone call was rounded up to the nearest whole minute" i was a bit suspicious and tried out numbers in order to make sure that there is more than one solution. Often in DF we make the argument that we can't solve an equation with two unknown, but in fact sometimes we can infer that theres only one plausible solutions (For Instance in the following problem)

A certain fruit stand sold apples for $0.70 each and bananas for $0.50 each. If a customer purchased both apples and bananas from the stand for a total of $6.30, what total number of apples and bananas did the customer purchase ?

So my question is just, when we can make the argument that we are dealing with an equation with two unknowns and when we can't make this argument.

hope its clear

Thank you !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
If the length of Wanda's telephone call was rounded up to the nearest whole minute by her telephone company, then Wanda was charged for how many minutes for her telephone call?

(1) The total charge for Wanda's telephone call was $6.50.

(2) Wanda was charged $0.50 more for the first minute of the telephone call than for each minute after the first.

Diagnostic Test
Question: 27
Page: 25
Difficulty: 650

Hi Brunel,
I have one question.
Since xn = 6 and to get 6 (x,n) can be (1,6) or (6,1) or (3,2) or (2,3).
Because if the length of the call was less than a minute, then I think the total charge for the call would be $6.50.
And out of all the possibilities listed above, only (2,3) satisfies the equation 1(x+0.50)+(x-1)n = 6.50.
So Answer C.
Tell me where did I go wrong?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618779 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shrutiwali wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) The total charge for Wanda's telephone call was $6.50.

(2) Wanda was charged $0.50 more for the first minute of the telephone call than for each minute after the first.

Diagnostic Test
Question: 27
Page: 25
Difficulty: 650

Hi Brunel,
I have one question.
Since xn = 6 and to get 6 (x,n) can be (1,6) or (6,1) or (3,2) or (2,3).
Because if the length of the call was less than a minute, then I think the total charge for the call would be $6.50.
And out of all the possibilities listed above, only (2,3) satisfies the equation 1(x+0.50)+(x-1)n = 6.50.
So Answer C.
Tell me where did I go wrong?

There are other cases possible:
n = 6 minutes and x = 1 --> the cost of the first minute = $1.5 and the cost each of the remaining 5 minutes = $1 --> total = $6.50
n = 3 minutes and x = 2 --> the cost of the first minute = $2.5 and the cost each of the remaining 2 minutes = $2 --> total = $6.50
n = 2 minutes and x = 3 --> the cost of the first minute = $3.5 and the cost of the remaining 1 minute = $3 --> total = $6.50
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos