GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 May 2019, 05:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 08:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (01:13) correct 26% (01:35) wrong based on 175 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role of minimalism in fashion and also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

A. Elyssa Dimant examined the role of minimalism in fashion and also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

B. Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looked at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design.

C. the role of minimalism in fashion has been examined by Elyssa Dimant, but she also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

D. Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

E. Elyssa Dimant has been examining the role of minimalism in fashion, and also looking at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design.

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Re: In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 17:25
IMO D

split between its/there , "role of minimalism is singular" Strike out (b)/(e), in (c) "the role has been examined by" -- awkward - strike out.
A&D preferring D based on preference on parallelism " examined / looks"

+1 kudos if you like
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 18:53
The two verbs "examines" and "looks" should be parallel.
In A, B the verbs are not parallel.
A. Elyssa Dimant examined the role of minimalism in fashion and also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.
B. Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looked at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design.

In C, "Elyssa Dimant" should be at the starting
C. the role of minimalism in fashion has been examined by Elyssa Dimant, but she also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

Correct.
D. Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

In E, "has been examining" is not correct usage.
E. Elyssa Dimant has been examining the role of minimalism in fashion, and also looking at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design.

And the usage of "their" is not correct.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 19:17
Shouldn't "but also" be with "not only"? I cannot identify the correct answer. A seems ok from the meaning perspective though I cannot confidently say that the verbs are parallel
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 23:44
I got it right but I feel like the addition of "but also" changes the meaning of the sentence a little, making all of the options sound wrong to me.. So I just selected the one that sounded the most correct, as the original had obvious grammatical flaws.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 00:06
sayansarkar wrote:
Shouldn't "but also" be with "not only"? I cannot identify the correct answer. A seems ok from the meaning perspective though I cannot confidently say that the verbs are parallel

With "not only", we need "but also", but it's not the other way round.

The tense of the sentence need not always be the same, but here, since we are talking about the same timeframe, hence, the verbs should have been "examined" and "looked" or "examines" and "looks".

However, A uses "examined" and "looks". This is the reason A is incorrect.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 01:05
but also means contradiction. It doesn't sound right open ended. damyanti: can you tell me from where did you find that "but also" can be used alone - this will help me. thanks
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 01:21
sayansarkar wrote:
but also means contradiction. It doesn't sound right open ended. damyanti: can you tell me from where did you find that "but also" can be used alone - this will help me. thanks

I don't believe but also means "contradiction". In fact, from the examples I can think of, it further "accentuates" a quality. For example:

Australia not only won the world cup but also maintained its supremacy.

So, winning the world cup has no "contradiction" with maintaining supremacy.

I just wanted to convey that whenever we see "but also", we should not be looking for "not only"; however, whenever we see "not only", we should be looking for "but also".

For example, after your post, I just checked OG and found this sentence:

In 2000, a mere two dozen products accounted for half the increase in spending on prescription drugs, a phenomenon that is explained not just by the fact that drugs are becoming more expensive but also by the fact that doctors are writing many more prescriptions for higher-cost drugs.

This uses "but also", but there is no "not only".
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 05:24
not just and not only are the same
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 08:13
sayansarkar wrote:

Yes sayansarkar, I also think meaning-wise they are very similar.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 00:06
sayansarkar wrote:

Would agree.

Also, I am wondering if there is some confusion on the difference between "but" and "but also". From what I can think, "but" expresses a "contrast"; however, "but also" is quite the opposite, since it actually reinforces the idea being discussed in the sentence.

For example:

Mahesh is not rich, but a poor person. (Contrast between "rich" and "poor")

Mahesh is not only rich, but also a generous person. ("generous" reinforces Mahesh's attribute of richness).
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 06:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2019, 06:45

In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap