GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 15:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In numerous political accounts, the definition most commonly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
In numerous political accounts, the definition most commonly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 10:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:35) correct 62% (01:39) wrong based on 304 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In numerous political accounts, the definition most commonly used to describe a strong leader is that of a person who is cognizant of but undeterred by the fluctuations of public opinion.

A) most commonly used to describe a strong leader is that of a person who is cognizant of but

B) that is most commonly used to describe a strong leader is a person who is cognizant of but

C) most commonly used to describe a strong leader is a person who is cognizant but

D) most commonly used to describe a strong leader is a that of a person who is cognizant but

E) that is most commonly used to describe a strong leader is that of person who is cognizant of but also
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 12:38
goodyear2013 wrote:
In numerous political accounts, the definition most commonly used to describe a strong leader is that of a person who is cognizant of but undeterred by the fluctuations of public opinion.

A) most commonly used to describe a strong leader is that of a person who is cognizant of but

B) that is most commonly used to describe a strong leader is a person who is cognizant of but

C) most commonly used to describe a strong leader is a person who is cognizant but

D) most commonly used to describe a strong leader is a that of a person who is cognizant but

E) that is most commonly used to describe a strong leader is that of person who is cognizant of but also

Tough question. A is correct.

First of all, we should split the question by meaning. We have two options:

(1) A definition of X is that of (definition of) Y
--OR--
(2) A definition of X is Y (a person).

Clearly a definition CAN'T be a person --> B and C are out immediately. How about A, D and E.

Correct.

Wrong. A correct use is "cognizant of".

Wrong. A correct idiom is "not only..... but also".

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 15:08
I somehow don't agree. check this link.

1 ) http://www.yourdictionary.com/love

2) What is the definition of GMAT?
Would you say
- Definition of GMAT is an exam which is conducted world-wide blah blah blah.
OR
- Definiton of GMAT is that of an exam which is conducted worldwide blah blah blah.

3) I read it in NEW YORKER once -
'I learnt long ago that the definition of a split second is the time which it takes for the light to change from red to green and the man behind you to blow his horn.'
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: In numerous political accounts, the definition most commonly  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 19:50
I too don't agree with OA. I believe D) is the best choice.

The reason that I have not selected A) or E) is Modifiers (" who is cognizant") are not allowed to end with a PREPOSITION

Experts please comment
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 20:13
Quote:
Modifiers (" who is cognizant") are not allowed to end with a PREPOSITION

where have u learned that this cannot happen? the rule is that complete sentence should not end in a preposition !!
also A is best out of all

D is wrong because of following bold portion
D says : most commonly used to describe a strong leader is a that of a person who is cognizant [ u need a preposition here] but
Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE: Consulting (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 19:31
I am confused by A...maybe my interpretation is wrong, but the "that" seems to imply:

....the definition most commonly used to describe a strong leader is [the definition] of a person who is cognizant of but undeterred by the fluctuations of public opinion.

MY GMAT BLOG - ADVICE - OPINIONS - ANALYSIS

Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2014, 04:42
We can eliminate C and D straight away because definition is a person is wrong.

Left with A,C and D and I was so much confused between these three choices.

I eliminated D, because I did not like and a that of
E, because but also is wordy compared to succinct construction of option A.

So I selected A and booomm!!, it was right answer. I was lucky.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 21:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In numerous political accounts, the definition most commonly &nbs [#permalink] 29 Aug 2018, 21:34

In numerous political accounts, the definition most commonly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap