Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:31 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [19]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4892 [12]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: In the xy-plane, region A consists of all the points (x,y) [#permalink]
Zarrolou wrote:
In the xy-plane, region A consists of all the points (x,y) such that 1 - x < 2y. Is the point (a,b) in region A?

The area defined by \(1 - x < 2y\) or \(y>\frac{1}{2}-\frac{x}{2}\) is the area OVER the black line.
We are asked if point (a,b) is in that region

1) a >2b
The area defined by this is x>2y or \(y<\frac{x}{2}\): BELOW the red line. Is this sufficient to say that the point is also in the area specified above?
No, not sufficient.

2) b=1
So it stays on the green line.
Clearly not sufficient.

1+2)Now we know that the point is in the area below the red line, and is on the line y=1. This is sufficient to answer the question, as the area defined by both statements is always over the black line. Sufficient

Hi,
How u got 1 not sufficient?
why 1-x>2y changed to x>2y?
Can u plz explain me.
Thankz in advance,
rrsnathan.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
You are confusing the two inequalities. The inequality 1 - x <2y is the inequality that defines region A.

The inequality x >2y is the inequality that defines statement 1.

I'm certainly not an expert on coordinate geometry but will try to explain the problem to you. I will refer to the graph that Zorralou kindly provided. The graphical representation of the inequalities helped me understand the problem and I hope that it helps you as well

The first thing that you want to do is rewrite the given inequality (1-x <2y) in slope intercept form. The inequality will then look like this y >-1/2x + 1/2. Recognize that the y intercept is positive 1/2 and that the inequality has a negative slope that is half of 1, or 1/2. Use this information to help you sketch the inequality on the coordinate plane. See Zorrolou's graph; he has represented this inequality with the black line.

Any point above the "black line" is part of region A so the question is essentially asking whether point (a,b) is above the black line.

Statement 1 says that a>2b
You first want to rewrite the variables in terms of x and y. a >2b becomes x >2y. Again I found it helpful to rewrite the inequality in slope intercept form. Divide both sides by 2 and you get x/2 > y or y< x/2.

Graph this inequality on the coordinate plane. See Zorrolou's diagram again. The inequality y <x/2 is represented by the red line. Notice that the inequality states that y is LESS than 1/2x which means that the region of this inequality is BELOW the red line.

Back to our original question. Is point (a,b) part of region A? We now know that region A is above the black line and below the red line. This is helpful but is not sufficient. As it is now point (a,b) could be above the black line or below the black line. For instance point (5,1) is above the black line (part of region A) and below the red line while point (-1,2) is also below the red line but is NOT part of region A (above the black line).

I hope that my explanation helps you. I'm still trying to learn all this myself! I took the GMAT 3 times and this is the first time that I'm actually trying to get some of these math concepts down. I have not taken any math since taking calculus in high school over a decade ago! Best of luck!

rrsnathan wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
In the xy-plane, region A consists of all the points (x,y) such that 1 - x < 2y. Is the point (a,b) in region A?

The area defined by \(1 - x < 2y\) or \(y>\frac{1}{2}-\frac{x}{2}\) is the area OVER the black line.

1) a >2b
The area defined by this is x>2y or \(y<\frac{x}{2}\): BELOW the red line. Is this sufficient to say that the point is also in the area specified above?
No, not sufficient.

2) b=1
Clearly not sufficient.

1+2)Now we know that the point is in the area below the red line, and is on the line y=1. This is sufficient to answer the question, as the area defined by both statements is always over the black line. Sufficient

Hi,
Can u plz explain me.
Thankz in advance,
rrsnathan.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
hey josemnz83 tkankz. Really ur explanation was really helpful

+kudos for ur great explanation

josemnz83 wrote:
You are confusing the two inequalities. The inequality 1 - x <2y is the inequality that defines region A.

The inequality x >2y is the inequality that defines statement 1.

I'm certainly not an expert on coordinate geometry but will try to explain the problem to you. I will refer to the graph that Zorralou kindly provided. The graphical representation of the inequalities helped me understand the problem and I hope that it helps you as well

The first thing that you want to do is rewrite the given inequality (1-x <2y) in slope intercept form. The inequality will then look like this y >-1/2x + 1/2. Recognize that the y intercept is positive 1/2 and that the inequality has a negative slope that is half of 1, or 1/2. Use this information to help you sketch the inequality on the coordinate plane. See Zorrolou's graph; he has represented this inequality with the black line.

Any point above the "black line" is part of region A so the question is essentially asking whether point (a,b) is above the black line.

Statement 1 says that a>2b
You first want to rewrite the variables in terms of x and y. a >2b becomes x >2y. Again I found it helpful to rewrite the inequality in slope intercept form. Divide both sides by 2 and you get x/2 > y or y< x/2.

Graph this inequality on the coordinate plane. See Zorrolou's diagram again. The inequality y <x/2 is represented by the red line. Notice that the inequality states that y is LESS than 1/2x which means that the region of this inequality is BELOW the red line.

Back to our original question. Is point (a,b) part of region A? We now know that region A is above the black line and below the red line. This is helpful but is not sufficient. As it is now point (a,b) could be above the black line or below the black line. For instance point (5,1) is above the black line (part of region A) and below the red line while point (-1,2) is also below the red line but is NOT part of region A (above the black line).

I hope that my explanation helps you. I'm still trying to learn all this myself! I took the GMAT 3 times and this is the first time that I'm actually trying to get some of these math concepts down. I have not taken any math since taking calculus in high school over a decade ago! Best of luck!

rrsnathan wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:

1) a >2b
No, not sufficient.

2) b=1
Clearly not sufficient.

Hi,
Can u plz explain me.
Thankz in advance,
rrsnathan.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619769 [0]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Expert Reply
josemnz83 wrote:

(1) a > 2b
(2) b = 1

I am having a hard time conceptualizing how to solve this problem. I read the explanation in Total GMAT Math (which is where problem came from) and understand how to do the algebra. However I do NOT understand how the inequality translates as a graphical representation on the coordinate plane.

Similar questions to practices:
in-the-xy-plane-region-r-consists-of-all-the-points-x-y-102233.html (DS)
point-x-y-is-a-point-within-the-triangle-what-is-the-139419.html (PS)

Hope it helps.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1426 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM