Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 06:01 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 06:01
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Level,   Geometry,   Word Problems,                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39447 [288]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34642 [45]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6634 [36]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [24]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Jack wants to use a circular rug on his rectangular office floor to co [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
C.

(1) We know that the radius of the rug is 3ft (diameter is 6ft) and the radius of each of the stains is less than 1/10 ft. However we don't know how far the stains are from each other. INSUFFICIENT.

(2) We know that the centers of the stains are less than 4ft apart. Maximum distance between the 2 stains is less than 4 and 2/10 ft. [(2*1/10)+4]. However we do not know the size of the rug if it can completely cover 4 and 2/10 ft. INSUFFICIENT.

With (1) and (2), we know that the diameter of the rug (6ft) can completely cover both stains (max distance is 4 and 2/10 ft). SUFFICIENT.

PS: The information about the stains' location from the wall is unimportant since we do not know the dimensions of the room.

Originally posted by crza on 03 Jul 2017, 04:37.
Last edited by crza on 11 Jul 2017, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66915 [10]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Jack wants to use a circular rug on his rectangular office floor to co [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AbdurRakib wrote:
Jack wants to use a circular rug on his rectangular office floor to cover two small circular stains, each less than \(\frac{π}{100}\) square feet in area and each more than 3 feet from the nearest wall. Can the rug be placed to cover both stains ?

(1) Jack's rug covers an area of 9π square feet.

(2) The centers of the stains are less than 4 feet apart.

\(\frac{π}{100}\) square feet is the maximum area of each stain. So their radii are at most 1/10th of a foot.
Each is more than 3 feet from the wall so the distance between the circumference of the stain and the closest wall is at most 3 feet.
To find whether the rug covers the stains, we need two things - how big the rug is (think about the two extreme cases in which it is either very small or very big) and how far apart the stains are (to know how much area the rug must cover). Since we don't have to cover the whole room but just the stains, the actual size of the room doesn't matter to us (except if it gives us the maximum possible distance between the stains)

Now we know how big the rug is but not how far apart the stains are. The rug has a radius of 3 feet and hence a diameter of 6 feet.

We know how far apart the stains are but not how big the rug is.

Using both, we know how big the rug is (so the area it can cover) and we know what area will cover the two stains completely.
Centers of the stains are at most 4 feet apart. So to cover the stains completely, the rug should have a diameter of 4 + 1/10 + 1/10 = 4.2 feet or more. It does.
Sufficient.

Answer (C)

Note that had the rug been of a diameter less than 4.2 (say it were of diameter 3), could we have said that it WILL NOT cover the stains? No. Because we are given that 4 feet is the maximum distance between the two centers. The two centers could have very well been just 1 foot apart too. So in that case, answer would have been (E).

Check out the discussion on circles in this video: https://youtu.be/V_-N5Yi1UFo

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 18 Apr 2022, 22:38.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 06 Sep 2023, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [4]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: Jack wants to use a circular rug on his rectangular office floor to co [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
crza wrote:
C.

(1) We know that the radius of the rug is 3ft (diameter is 6ft) and the radius of each of the stains is 1/10 ft. However we don't know how far the stains are from each other. INSUFFICIENT.

(2) We know that the centers of the stains are less than 4ft apart. Maximum distance between the 2 stains is less than 4 and 2/10 ft. [(2*1/10)+4]. However we do not know the size of the rug if it can completely cover 4 and 2/10 ft. INSUFFICIENT.

With (1) and (2), we know that the diameter of the rug (6ft) can completely cover both stains (max distance is 4 and 2/10 ft). SUFFICIENT.

PS: The information about the stains' location from the wall is unimportant since we do not know the dimensions of the room.

Hi crza,

I think you missed out a keyword - Distance between the 2 stains is less than 4ft but more than 2/10 ft.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ashygoyal wrote:
crza wrote:
C.

(1) We know that the radius of the rug is 3ft (diameter is 6ft) and the radius of each of the stains is 1/10 ft. However we don't know how far the stains are from each other. INSUFFICIENT.

Hi crza,

I think you missed out a keyword - Distance between the 2 stains is less than 4ft but more than 2/10 ft.

Hi ashygoyal,
In my statement above, I computed the maximum possible distance between the 2 stains as follows:
distance between the 2 stains = less than 4 ft
radius of each stain = 1/10 ft
For the purposes of computation, let us suppose the centers of the stains are located 4 ft apart.
Thus, the distance between the 2 stains from 1 end to the other end is 4ft + 1/10 (radius of one stain) + 1/10 (radius of the other stain) = 4 and 2/10 ft.
However, since we are told that the centers are located less than 4 ft apart, the maximum distance must be less than 4 and 2/10 ft.

In this question, we only care about the maximum distance between the stains.
In case you're interested, minimum possible distance between the stains is 4/10. This can be computed by adding the diameter (2/10) of the 2 stains.

Hope my explanation is clear.
Let me know if you have further clarifications! :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [4]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V49
GPA: 3.5
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Jack wants to use a circular rug on his rectangular office floor to co [#permalink]
Kudos
To follow up on some people's comment that the >3 feet distance from the nearest wall is redundant information: No, it's not.

As others have pointed out above, we can conclude from the combined statements (1) and (2) that the rug is large enough to cover both stains. However, the question is if the rug can be placed to cover both stains and to answer this, we must know that it's farther away from the wall than its radius. That is exactly why the 3 feet minimum distance is included in the question.

If the minimum distance was anything less than 3 feet, then the answer would actually be E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Max Radius of each stain is 1/10
Max Diameter of each stain is 1/10 + 1/10 = 2/5
Largest distance between center of stains is 4ft

Max diameter needed to cover is 4+ 1/10 + 1/10 = 21/5 = 4.2
Diameter of rug = 6

6>4.2 there for yes
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 812 [9]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AbdurRakib wrote:
Jack wants to use a circular rug on his rectangular office floor to cover two small circular stains, each less than \(\frac{π}{100}\) square feet in area and each more than 3 feet from the nearest wall. Can the rug be placed to cover both stains ?

Let radius of each stain = r
\(=> π * r^2 < π/100\)
\(=> r < 0.1\)feet

Statement 1: Area of rug \(= 9π = π * R^2\), where R is the radius of the rug
=> R = 3 feet

However, we do not know how far apart the stains are. If the stains are 2 feet apart, the rug can cover them. However, if the stains are 8 feet apart, the rug cannot cover them - Insufficient

Statement 2: The centers of the stains are less than 4 feet apart.
However, we do not know the radius of the stains. Also, we do not know the size of the rug - Insufficient

Combining:
The stains have radius 0.1 ft; and they are less than 4 feet apart
Thus, the maximum distance between the extreme points of the 2 stains is less than 0.1 + 4 + 0.1 = 4.2 ft
Since the radius of the rug is 3 ft (diameter is 6 ft), the rug can cover the stains.

However, it can cover the stains ONLY IF it were GEOMETRICALLY possible to place the rug over the stains. Since the stains are more than 3 feet away from the walls, there is no problem placing the rug. This is explained in the image below:

Attachment:
11.JPG
11.JPG [ 61.23 KiB | Viewed 41493 times ]

Answer C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13836 [5]
Given Kudos: 125
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos