GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Mar 2019, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

John first fell in love when he saw a woman sitting on a bench in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
John first fell in love when he saw a woman sitting on a bench in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 11:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:02) correct 36% (01:15) wrong based on 472 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

John first fell in love when he saw a woman sitting on a bench in the park, whose long hair shimmered in the sun.

A. woman sitting on a bench in the park, whose long hair shimmered in the sun
B. woman sitting in the park on a bench, whose long hair shimmered in the sun
C. women, whose long hair shimmered in the sun, sitting on a bench in the park
D. woman sitting on a bench in the park, whose hair shimmered in the sun
E. woman, whose long hair shimmered in the sun, sitting on a bench in the park

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
John first fell in love when he saw a woman sitting on a bench in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 14:26
reto wrote:
John first fell in love when he saw a woman sitting on a bench in the park, whose long hair shimmered in the sun.

A. woman sitting on a bench in the park, whose long hair shimmered in the sun
B. woman sitting in the park on a bench, whose long hair shimmered in the sun
C. women, whose long hair shimmered in the sun, sitting on a bench in the park
D. woman sitting on a bench in the park, whose hair shimmered in the sun
E. woman, whose long hair shimmered in the sun, sitting on a bench in the park

Hello reto

According to Manhattan two modifiers in a row is bad:

"Avoid long sequences of modifiers that modify the same noun. Putting two long modifiers in a row before or after a noun can lead to awkward or incorrect phrasings.
Wrong: George Carlin, both shocking and entertaining audiences across the nation, who also struggled publicly with drug abuse, influenced and inspired a generation of comedians.
The misplaced modifier who also struggled publicly with drug abuse should be next to George Carlin, not nation.

----------------------

Here is another explanation from Manhattan instructor:

"The problem, though, is that we can't stack two modifiers in a row if they're modifying the same thing. Effectively, what we have is:
Subject, adverbial modifier, adverbial modifier, verb...
We need to conjoin these modifiers (if they're modifying the same thing), or change one of them to modify something else. "

---------------------

And another explanation from the same instructor

"As a general rule, you should avoid putting two modifiers that modify the same thing in a row.

Wrong: Modifier, modifier, thing being modified.
Right: Modifier, thing being modified, modifier.

In this sentence, we have two modifiers in a row: Marking..., featuring..., the festival is celebrated...

If there were a conjunction instead - marking... and featuring..., the festival... - that would have been correct, because "marking and featuring" would have been a single conjoined modifier."

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

General Discussion
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Jul 2015, 00:41
This is a pretty tough question for an old hag like me. I don’t know what made John fall in love; As per the passage, I construe that he fell in love when (whenever) he saw a woman sitting on bench; probably there will be so many women sitting on the bench. Who will then John fall in love with? Really confusing.

The second part of having long hair is also a mystery to me. The passage seems to imply that there should be a woman in the park; she should be sitting on the bench; she should have a long hair and the hair should be shimmering in the sun; too difficult for all of them to coincide, I suppose. Thank God, the passage does not mention anything about the length of John’s hair.

So let me not go through the meaning route but try via grammar.

A. woman sitting on a bench in the park, whose long hair shimmered in the sun – a relative pronoun should denote the noun it touches and hence this a wrong choice; after all park does not sport long hairs.
B. woman sitting in the park on a bench, whose long hair shimmered in the sun – same critical reasoning --- bench, does not have long hair.
C. women, whose long hair shimmered in the sun, sitting on a bench in the park --- a women is obviously wrong;
D. woman sitting on a bench in the park, whose hair shimmered in the sun --- I dismiss this choice, as this misses the most important cause of John's falling in love, namely the long hair. You see John fancies the length of the hair in a woman more than any other
E. woman, whose long hair shimmered in the sun, sitting on a bench in the park--- This is the only choice left; if I reject this also, all my labor will go to waste. But let me put forth my doubt. What was sitting on the bench? Obviously not the sun, but is it the long hair?

Sorry, I give up

GMAT tuition under able guidance is less expensive and time-consuming than self-study in the final reckoning

Originally posted by daagh on 30 Jul 2015, 22:56.
Last edited by daagh on 31 Jul 2015, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Re: John first fell in love when he saw a woman sitting on a bench in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 00:03
daagh wrote:
This is a pretty tough question for an old hag like me. I don’t know what made John fall in love; As per the passage, I construe that he fell in love when (whenever) he saw a woman sitting on bench; probably there will be so many women sitting on the bench. Who will then John fall in love with? Really confusing.

The second part of having long hair is also a mystery to me. The passage seems to imply that there should be a woman in the park; she should be sitting on the bench; she should have a long hair and the hair should be shimmering in the sun; too difficult for all of them to coincide, I suppose. Thank God, the passage does not mention anything about the length of john’s hair.

A. woman sitting on a bench in the park, whose long hair shimmered in the sun – a relative pronoun should denote the noun it ouches and hence this a wrong choice; after all park does not sport long hairs.
B. woman sitting in the park on a bench, whose long hair shimmered in the sun – same critical reasoning --- bench, does not have long hair.
C. women, whose long hair shimmered in the sun, sitting on a bench in the park --- a women is obviously wrong;
D. woman sitting on a bench in the park, whose hair shimmered in the sun --- I dismiss this choice, as this misses the most important cause of John's falling in love, namely the long hair. You see John fancies the length of the hair in a woman more than any other
E. woman, whose long hair shimmered in the sun, sitting on a bench in the park--- This is the only choice left; if I reject this also, all my labor will go to waste. But let me put forth my doubt. What was sitting on the bench? Obviously not the sun, but is it the long hair?

Sorry, I give up

I really like your thoughts :lol: You're right at all. For the last answer choice you might be too harsh saying that the "sitting on a bench in the park" modifies the sun or hair - for me this sentence leaves no doubt that the last modifier refers to the woman since the first modifier refers to the women too - couldnt you add here 100 more modifiers which refer to the woman?

This is just my understanding.

Thanks for your post :)

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: John first fell in love when he saw a woman sitting on a bench in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 01:48
Dear reto, I agree with you that any number of modifiers can modify one noun. I stand corrected vis-a-vis E.

GMAT tuition under able guidance is less expensive and time-consuming than self-study in the final reckoning

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 11:58
This doesn't seem to be a very GMATish question. Sorry if I'm wrong. Feel free to correct me.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 00:32
daagh wrote:

The second part of having long hair is also a mystery to me. The passage seems to imply that there should be a woman in the park; she should be sitting on the bench; she should have a long hair and the hair should be shimmering in the sun; too difficult for all of them to coincide, I suppose. Thank God, the passage does not mention anything about the length of John’s hair.

A. woman sitting on a bench in the park, whose long hair shimmered in the sun – a relative pronoun should denote the noun it touches and hence this a wrong choice; after all park does not sport long hairs.

Sorry, I give up

Hi,

I didnt really understand the issue in Option A. Per my understanding "whose" is a Relative Pronoun Modifier and has the privilege of modifying a far away noun unless its ambiguous.
In this context, Park's long hair shimmered in the sun ..
and
Bench's long hair shimmered in the sun

does not make sense. And hence the only reference here is " long hair of a woman". Based on this analysis, I feel Option A is correct. Please let me know your thoughts.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 11:05
andy2502 wrote:
daagh wrote:

Sorry, I give up

Hi,

I didnt really understand the issue in Option A. Per my understanding "whose" is a Relative Pronoun Modifier and has the privilege of modifying a far away noun unless its ambiguous.
and

does not make sense. And hence the only reference here is " long hair of a woman". Based on this analysis, I feel Option A is correct. Please let me know your thoughts.

I agree with your point. Moreover option E (the OA) is definitely wrong. The present participle modifier " sitting on a bench in the park" seems to refer to the subject of the previous clause "John" rather than "woman".
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 19:04
sayantanc2k wrote:
andy2502 wrote:
daagh wrote:

Sorry, I give up

Hi,

and

I agree with your point. Moreover option E (the OA) is definitely wrong. The present participle modifier " sitting on a bench in the park" seems to refer to the subject of the previous clause "John" rather than "woman".

To me, both (A) and (E) are grammatically correct. The only difference is that in (A) woman is sitting on the bench and in (E) John is sitting on the bench. He can sit on bench and fall in love :-D

LOL
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2016, 12:09
manhasnoname wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
andy2502 wrote:

Hi,

and

To me, both (A) and (E) are grammatically correct. The only difference is that in (A) woman is sitting on the bench and in (E) John is sitting on the bench. He can sit on bench and fall in love :-D

LOL

When there are two grammatically correct sentences among the options, the one that retains the meaning of the original sentence should be selected. So option A is better than option E.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 19:37
I think E is definitely correct.

Reletive pronoun modifier (1) - "whose long hair shimmered in the sun" is encapsulated between 2 commas and provides additional info about "woman".

Verb-ing modifier (2) - "sitting on a bench in the park" modifies the noun "woman". Comma before "sitting" is a part of modifier 1.

So, the sentence as a whole is structured as : John first fell in love when he saw a woman(,whose long hair shimmered in the sun,)(sitting on a bench in the park)..... with both the modifiers modifying noun woman.

IMO, below is the reason for choice A to be incorrect.
Relative pronoun modifier has the privilege to modify far away nouns only when there is no better (and correct) placement possible for additional info b/w Noun and Relative pronoun. Here, in this sentence, a better (and correct) placement of this additional info is possible (as depicted by choice E). So, E is a better choice than A.

Please let me know if I am missing something here.
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 08:41
ankur2710 wrote:
I think E is definitely correct.

Reletive pronoun modifier (1) - "whose long hair shimmered in the sun" is encapsulated between 2 commas and provides additional info about "woman".

Verb-ing modifier (2) - "sitting on a bench in the park" modifies the noun "woman". Comma before "sitting" is a part of modifier 1.

So, the sentence as a whole is structured as : John first fell in love when he saw a woman(,whose long hair shimmered in the sun,)(sitting on a bench in the park)..... with both the modifiers modifying noun woman.

IMO, below is the reason for choice A to be incorrect.
Relative pronoun modifier has the privilege to modify far away nouns only when there is no better (and correct) placement possible for additional info b/w Noun and Relative pronoun. Here, in this sentence, a better (and correct) placement of this additional info is possible (as depicted by choice E). So, E is a better choice than A.

Please let me know if I am missing something here.

In E, the modifier "sitting..." may as well refer to the subject of the previous clause " John". In the real GMAT the OA is not expected to have such ambiguity.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 06:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: John first fell in love when he saw a woman sitting on a bench in the   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2019, 06:56

John first fell in love when he saw a woman sitting on a bench in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap