It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 06:57

Final Week of R1 Decisions:

CHAT Rooms | MIT Sloan | McCombs 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Joplins faith in his opera Tremonisha was unshakable; in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 0

Joplins faith in his opera Tremonisha was unshakable; in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2008, 21:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Joplin’s faith in his opera “Tremonisha” was unshakable; in 1911 he published the score at his own expense and decided on staging it himself.
(A) on staging it himself
(B) that he himself would do the staging
(C) to do the staging of the work by himself
(D) that he himself would stage it
(E) to stage the work himself

Can someone explain when should decided to and decided that be used?

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-decided that Vs decided to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2008, 22:05
spriya wrote:
Joplin’s faith in his opera “Tremonisha” was unshakable; in 1911 he published the score at his own expense and decided on staging it himself.

If there is a clause where something that has happened in the past, and now from that point when you are looking into the future you will use conditional construction (would)

Only B and D have would here, but B has "staging" which is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 627 [1], given: 32

Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2008, 22:27
This post received
KUDOS
E

When to use "decide to" v. "decide that".

It all depends on what the mean of the sentence is.

#1 - "Jeremy decided that giving back the money he found is the right thing to do."

#2 - "Jeremy decided to give back the money he found."

In #1, Jeremy decided a THING is right. The second part of the sentence starting with "giving..." is actually a complete sentence on its own. It has a subject "giving" and a verb, "is". There are the basics for a complete sentence.

In #2, Jeremy decided he would do an action, therefor, "decided to" is correct.

Think of it this way. "That" is used when introducing a thing. See the two sentences below and how the ideas are combined into one sentence.

Jeremy got caught in traffic. Traffic was backed up due to a wreck.
Jeremy got caught in traffic that was backed up due to a wreck. (This may be a poor example as the word "which" might be better in place of "that". I hope this doesn't make it even more confusing.)

Do you see how the word "that" introduces the next idea of the second sentence? This is a method we use to create more complex sentences in writing. It can also make things more confusing.

My examples involving giving back money makes things a bit more complex because "giving" is a gerund and feels like a verb, even though it is a noun. "to give" is an infinitive and is definitely a verb, but the two can be confusing in this context. I think that may be where the confusion between "decided that" and "decided to" arises.

spriya wrote:
(A) on staging it himself"decided on" is not a correct idiom. Furthermore, "staging" as used here is being as a verb and it's a gerund, and gerunds are nouns
(B) that he himself would do the stagingAwkward. It might be correct without the word "himself", but the test makers had to add that to make it wordy.
(C) to do the staging of the work by himself"of the work" is redundant. We already know what he's planning on staging, so repeating that it's "the work" is not necessary.
(D) that he himself would stage it"he himself" is redundant and is 99.99% of time time going to be wrong (sorry didn't feel like going out on a limb on this one by saying 100% of the time.)

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 627 [1], given: 32

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2008, 22:32
I will go with E.

--"it" has no clear referent.
--Wordy
--sound like passive
--"himself" not reqd

Please post correct reasoning to eliminate the wrong options

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 08:58
jallenmorris wrote:
E

When to use "decide to" v. "decide that".

It all depends on what the mean of the sentence is.

#1 - "Jeremy decided that giving back the money he found is the right thing to do."

#2 - "Jeremy decided to give back the money he found."

In #1, Jeremy decided a THING is right. The second part of the sentence starting with "giving..." is actually a complete sentence on its own. It has a subject "giving" and a verb, "is". There are the basics for a complete sentence.

In #2, Jeremy decided he would do an action, therefor, "decided to" is correct.

Think of it this way. "That" is used when introducing a thing. See the two sentences below and how the ideas are combined into one sentence.

Jeremy got caught in traffic. Traffic was backed up due to a wreck.
Jeremy got caught in traffic that was backed up due to a wreck. (This may be a poor example as the word "which" might be better in place of "that". I hope this doesn't make it even more confusing.)

Do you see how the word "that" introduces the next idea of the second sentence? This is a method we use to create more complex sentences in writing. It can also make things more confusing.

My examples involving giving back money makes things a bit more complex because "giving" is a gerund and feels like a verb, even though it is a noun. "to give" is an infinitive and is definitely a verb, but the two can be confusing in this context. I think that may be where the confusion between "decided that" and "decided to" arises.

spriya wrote:
(A) on staging it himself"decided on" is not a correct idiom. Furthermore, "staging" as used here is being as a verb and it's a gerund, and gerunds are nouns
(B) that he himself would do the stagingAwkward. It might be correct without the word "himself", but the test makers had to add that to make it wordy.
(C) to do the staging of the work by himself"of the work" is redundant. We already know what he's planning on staging, so repeating that it's "the work" is not necessary.
(D) that he himself would stage it"he himself" is redundant and is 99.99% of time time going to be wrong (sorry didn't feel like going out on a limb on this one by saying 100% of the time.)

Thanks a tonne for such a detailed explanation.
+1 for you
OA is E :)

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Re: SC-decided that Vs decided to   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2008, 08:58

Joplins faith in his opera Tremonisha was unshakable; in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap