Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: June 2008 YTD GMAT VOLUME [#permalink]
The rise in apps may be an effect of people applying to more schools in the past on the assumption that it will be more competitive this year
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Wait, who says there's anything preventing the top schools from filling 50%+ of their classes with international students? Concerns about job placements?

In any case, I wouldn't focus so narrowly on the domestic competition alone. A lot of us are going to be in competition with 27 year old consultants from Brazil who just want to chill out in New York, Boston or Sunny California with their fiancees for two years and then go back to work in Brazil. :)

I'm skeptical about the whole Wall Street layoffs angle myself, this is admittedly anecdotal but I don't know anyone within my circle of peers who is in banking, wants to stay in banking, and is looking to go to business school.
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Wait, who says there's anything preventing the top schools from filling 50%+ of their classes with international students? Concerns about job placements?

If you look at the historical numbers, the % of international has never gone much higher than that no matter how many international applicants they have. I asked a top 10 adcom about this during an online chat once and they actually admitted that they did not expect to ever increase their international student poplulation over 40%. I think there's an attitude that american business schools have to have majority american students, and I think it's a very american attitude (you don't see anything similar at european schools for example).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
also just to reiterate what others have said ... there is a general trend for many Non-US schools to start asking for GMAT scores where in the past no such requirement may have existed. Consequently not all of these additional Intl test takers will translate to apps to US and EU schools.
Current Student
Send PM
sm332 wrote:
also just to reiterate what others have said ... there is a general trend for many Non-US schools to start asking for GMAT scores where in the past no such requirement may have existed. Consequently not all of these additional Intl test takers will translate to apps to US and EU schools.

Very true. There was something on the Ask Sandy thread that said that last year intl apps to US schools were up around 15% (I think) even though intl GMAT test taking was up 20+%. So, like you said, not all of those increased test takers will be US and EU applicants
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Texas
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

If you look at the historical numbers, the % of international has never gone much higher than that no matter how many international applicants they have. I asked a top 10 adcom about this during an online chat once and they actually admitted that they did not expect to ever increase their international student poplulation over 40%. I think there's an attitude that american business schools have to have majority american students, and I think it's a very american attitude (you don't see anything similar at european schools for example).

I think it is also a function of what American employers are looking for in potential hires. A significant factor in the shaping of business school class profiles is not only what matriculating students bring to the table in terms of contributions while at school but also appealing to companies hiring post graduation.
Current Student
Send PM
Just wanted to mention some good news/bad news for the international applicants from Accepted.com.

Good news: Some on this thread made the very good point that much of the 20+% increase in international GMAT registrations were applicants to non US schools. The number of non US schools is expanding and many that previously did not require the GMAT have started to add the test as a requirement. This theory was supported by some numbers posted by Accepted.com. International applicants to US business schools increased 10% last year even though GMAT registrations for internationals was up around 20% last year. That means its reasonable to assume that the 20+% increase we are seeing for international GMAT registrations this year does not mean there will be a 20% jump in international apps. Probably more like 10-15%.

Bad News: Although business schools saw a 10% increase in applications, there was only a 2% increase in admission offers. This seems to confirm the theory that the number of spots available for international students in US business schools is relatively fixed. So, as intl applications grow faster than US applications, it seems unlikely that the schools will increase the % of intls in their classes and increase the number of international student admits offered.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2