GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2019, 06:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kellogg or Booth PT chances

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Kellogg or Booth PT chances  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 18:12
Hello everyone!
I have been searching the internet for stats about acceptance rates, average test scores, etc for Chicago Booth & Kellogg’s part time programs. I am targeting their weekend/evening option.

I’m really just trying to gauge my chances of acceptance.

I have 2 years of working experience at Accenture and I have been promoted twice. My gmat is a 640. Undergrad GPA of 3.17 in marketing from a top 100 business school.

What do you all think as far as my chances... Also, I am a good interviewer and I’ve started a few small businesses, but nothing huge.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Re: Kellogg or Booth PT chances  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 18:31
What is the Gmat split (Quant/Verbal score) ?
Johnmacomber wrote:
Hello everyone!
I have been searching the internet for stats about acceptance rates, average test scores, etc for Chicago Booth & Kellogg’s part time programs. I am targeting their weekend/evening option.

I’m really just trying to gauge my chances of acceptance.

I have 2 years of working experience at Accenture and I have been promoted twice. My gmat is a 640. Undergrad GPA of 3.17 in marketing from a top 100 business school.

What do you all think as far as my chances... Also, I am a good interviewer and I’ve started a few small businesses, but nothing huge.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 19:34
Thanks for the quick reply!
39 Quant and 38 Verbal

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 19:42
You need at least another 3-5 years of experience and a higher GMAT. A score above 670 is safe.

They value experience more than the raw scores in these part time programs. So, you will clearly be an outlier, and especially with a a score of 640 and low GPA, it’s unclear what you will add to the culture and class experience there.
There’s nothing stopping you from giving it a shot. So, if you’re confident, give it a shot and try again in couple of years if it doesn’t work out this time.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 19:51
Assuming a score of 670 or higher and a couple more years of quality work experience, do you think I can overcome my 3.17 GPA?

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 19:58
That should give a decent shot. Make sure to continue being stellar at your job and get a couple of good recommendations.

Also, work on getting that quant score to at least a 47 or 48. That should push your score up to 690, I think.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 08:28
Awesome. That makes since. Also, I forgot to add that I have a Master’s degree in management from a Top 50 business school with a 3.76 GPA. Do you think this does anything for me? Not sure how much weight that carries, if any.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 08:56
I think the 2 year s of work experience is what is going to look a bit shallow for the "traditional" FEMBA applicant profile. Are you planning to stay at Accenture after your MBA? or what is the driver to get it? My guess is you are trying to move industries or try to move up to MBB or ?

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 09:04
I would like to do strategy consulting eventually.

So I think Kellogg is a good fit in terms of my long term goals. But I am curious if they will value my work at Accenture as a more technical analyst with exposure to a few different industries in multiple cities.

I’m not sure what is attractive to top B-schools in terms of work experience and if brand names such as Accenture carry clout.

Thanks!

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 09:11
Accenture is definitely well known but also folks know that there is the sexy part of management consulting and the not-so-sexy technical/IT development arm. However, you will be judged on your performance and what you have done with your resources. Even if you got stuck in the most boring programming area (e.g. writing optimization software for a tire recycling plant in Brazil - that's as crazy as I could come up), the AdCom will evaluate what opportunities were available to you and how you have utilized them and leveraged them. If you have perhaps setup a Toast Masters branch while you were there, you took additional courses, and basically did not let it be a setback but continued developing and continued being the little engine that could (as opposed to just coasting with the flow), you should be in a good position. The mantra is often momentum, energy, initiative, leadership, etc. Basically they want to give admission opportunity to folks who can double, triple, or quadruple the ROI of an MBA as opposed to someone who just coasts. So don't feel you are stuck in any way if your current position/area is not machine learning or crypto or consulting to the Vatican. It's not what you have, but what you do with it.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kellogg or Booth PT chances   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2019, 09:11

Kellogg or Booth PT chances

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: jaja231