Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [16]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integer and xy is divisible by 4, which of the [#permalink]
Quote:
If \(x\) and \(y\) are positive integer and \(xy\) is divisible by 4, which of the following must be true?

Thank you for the reply Mike. When I saw \(xy\), I didn't think that it is \(x*y\). I thought it might be below

\(x\) --> 1
\(y\) --> 4

then \(xy\) is 14. Is this not the case? If not, can you explain when the expression indicates \(x*y\)?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Re: If x and y are positive integer and xy is divisible by 4, which of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatchase wrote:
Thank you for the reply Mike. When I saw xy, I didn't think that it is x*y. I thought it might be below

x --> 1
y --> 4

then xy is 14. Is this not the case? If not, can you explain when the expression indicates x*y?

Dear gmatchase

First of all, I'd like to suggest --- don't over-do the "math" notation. That's useful for fractions & exponents, but for ordinary x+y, we don't need the special notation.

The blanket assumption throughout all of algebra is that writing two variables next to each other (mx) or writing a number directly next to a variable (5y) always means multiplication. That's the meaning 100% of the time, unless something different is very explicitly specified. If the problem wanted the variables to represent digits, first of all, it probably would have used letters from the beginning of the alphabet, certainly not x & y (the standard algebraic variables), and it would have to say, quite explicitly, something like "Let a and b be digits in a the two-digit number ab." In other words, because the blank assumption is --- two variables next to each other always means multiply --- when a problem wants to indicate digits or anything else, it practically has to set up traffic cones and flashing signs to indicate the change. For a digits problem, it would have to explain, explicitly, what each variable represented. Any problem that just tosses an xy at you with no verbiage will never be using those variable as digits --- that xy will be multiplication 100% of the time.

Here's an example of a rare digit problem.
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/54
When you submit you answer, the following page will have a full video explanation.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
If x and y are positive integer and xy is divisible by 4, which of the [#permalink]
What if xy= 44 ( x=11, y= 4 or x=4 and y= 11)

Option B, C and D hold true then....i know in must be true questions picking numbers can be confusing..
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
prateekbhatt wrote:
What if xy= 44 ( x=11, y= 4 or x=4 and y= 11)

Option B, C and D hold true then....i know in must be true questions picking numbers can be confusing.

Dear prateekbhatt
Yes. Remember that in any "must be true" math question, one answer has to be true, and most of the time, the other four will be usually be true --- some will be things that seem like they should be true. The GMAT simply is not going to give you one 100% true choice and four 100% false choices ---- it's going to be something more like one 100% true choice and four 90-95% true choices.

This means that, for any pair of numbers you pick, unless you are exceedingly lucky (or exceedingly skillful at picking numbers), more than one answer choice will still be true. The value of any single pair of numbers lies in [b]the choices you can eliminate[/b] ---- you pick one pair, eliminate some choices, then pick another pair, eliminate more choices, and whittle down the options. You are in the wrong frame of mind if you are trying to find the idea choice so that you can eliminate the four incorrect options all at once. If that happens by chance, great, but don't spend any time striving for that. Instead, think simplicity and speed. If I were plugging in numbers for this, my first choices would be the simplest kindergarten possibilities --- x = 1 & y = 4, then x = 4 & y = 1, then x = 2 & y = 2 --- in the first 10-20 seconds, you should be able to eliminate at least three answer choices with very easy selections for the variable values. Focus speed & efficiency, not on making ideal choices. Once you are down to two answers, you may need a more sophisticated choice --- for example, none of those choices would eliminate (D), so you would have to choose something like x = 2 & y = 8. That eliminates everything except the OA, (B), and I didn't use anything other than single-digit choices. Often you can remain with single digit math and get everything you need.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts