Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 02:21 It is currently 13 May 2024, 02:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5656 [22]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Many corporations are scaling back their operations and focusing on [#permalink]
Kudos
A for me too. In B, usage of would is incorrect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Many corporations are scaling back their operations and focusing on [#permalink]
sandeep211986 wrote:
A for me ,in B would is not used with reference to the past.

Posted from my mobile device

Can you please elaborate more?

Regards.
Arup
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5656 [4]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

Question Explanation

This sentence is correct as written.

The underlined portion of the sentence contains the idiom, so as…to, so check to see if that idiom is correct. There appears to be no error in the original sentence, so keep choice A. Because there is no error in the original sentence, there are no obvious repeaters to look for, so evaluate the remaining answer choices individually looking for reasons to eliminate each.

Choice B contains a pronoun, them, which might refer to corporations, operations, or businesses, so this is a pronoun ambiguity error. Eliminate choice B. Choice C contains two pronouns, they and them, which again might refer to corporations, operations, or businesses, so this is another pronoun ambiguity error. Eliminate choice C. Choice D restructures the sentence to create an additional list. Are scaling and to be hindered are not parallel, so eliminate choice D. Choice E contains the pronoun them, which might refer to corporations, operations, or businesses, so this is a pronoun ambiguity error. Eliminate choice E.

Alternatively, if it is difficult to spot the grammar rule the sentence is testing, another strategy is to identify an error from the answers by looking for either a 2/3 split or differences among the answers. Because three of the answer choices use the preposition so and two of them use the conjunction and, this difference is an indication to look for parallel construction errors.

Choice A: Correct.

Choice B: No. The pronoun them is ambiguous. Pronoun ambiguity.

Choice C: No. The pronouns they and them are ambiguous. Pronoun ambiguity.

Choice D: No. The verb forms are scaling and to be hindered are not parallel. Parallel construction.

Choice E: No. The pronoun them is ambiguous. Pronoun ambiguity.

The correct answer is choice A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
aragonn wrote:
Many corporations are scaling back their operations and focusing on their core businesses so as not to be hindered by over-diversification in the world marketplace.

A. so as not to be hindered by over-diversification

B. so that over-diversification would not hinder them

C. so that they will not have so much diversification to hinder them

D. and thereby not to be hindered by over-diversification

E. and there is not so much diversification to hinder them

Reasoning:
B, C, E) Vague pronoun. Them could refer to companies or businesses
D) And conjunction doesn't make sense. Since "Many corporations are scaling back their operations and focusing on their core businesses" results in the companies not being hindered. I think if D) removed the and the sentence would be fine since thereby means as a result
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
aragonn wrote:

Question Explanation

The underlined portion of the sentence contains the idiom, so as…to, so check to see if that idiom is correct. There appears to be no error in the original sentence, so keep choice A. Because there is no error in the original sentence, there are no obvious repeaters to look for, so evaluate the remaining answer choices individually looking for reasons to eliminate each.

Choice B contains a pronoun, them, which might refer to corporations, operations, or businesses, so this is a pronoun ambiguity error. Eliminate choice B. Choice C contains two pronouns, they and them, which again might refer to corporations, operations, or businesses, so this is another pronoun ambiguity error. Eliminate choice C. Choice D restructures the sentence to create an additional list. Are scaling and to be hindered are not parallel, so eliminate choice D. Choice E contains the pronoun them, which might refer to corporations, operations, or businesses, so this is a pronoun ambiguity error. Eliminate choice E.

Alternatively, if it is difficult to spot the grammar rule the sentence is testing, another strategy is to identify an error from the answers by looking for either a 2/3 split or differences among the answers. Because three of the answer choices use the preposition so and two of them use the conjunction and, this difference is an indication to look for parallel construction errors.

Choice D: No. The verb forms are scaling and to be hindered are not parallel. Parallel construction.

Is it right to eliminate an answer just based on pronoun ambiguity ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 251
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
Priyanka1293 wrote:
aragonn wrote:

Question Explanation

Is it right to eliminate an answer just based on pronoun ambiguity ?

I had the same doubt. I felt B was a right answer. Also So as to is a wrong idiom
So 'Adjective' to + Verb is the right one - something I read in another post.
Not sure which is right
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7790 [3]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos