Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 08:11 It is currently 13 May 2024, 08:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 639 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Need help - mba query [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dhruv120292 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Wanted to seek advice regarding mba.

I have worked at Macquarie Group for 7 years in accounting post which i did my MS Finance at SMU Singapore. Interned there at 4 places, and now work as a M&A Analyst for a boutique financial advisory firm in Dubai.

I am 31 currently and was thinking to do a mba at 33 (preferably 1 year full time) to make a jump to a bigger PE fund/ bulge M&A.

Yet to give my gmat, but wanted to get guidance if i am too late already if i start at 33 and whether a jump i am looking to make seems possible.

I am only doing this to get a bigger jump in career in terms of brand i work for and salary.

Posted from my mobile device

Hello Dhruv120292,

Apologies for the delayed response but we hope this finds you in time still.

While you are a senior candidate, it is never too late to do an MBA; you've realized a need now and that is completely fair; this is the point that you need to make in your applications.

A jump is possible; however, for this jump to materialize, you also need to enroll yourself in a reputed program; hence, your focus should be on achieving a GMAT score that gives you a strong chance at targeting some top-notch 1-year programs. Once the GMAT is out of the way, you should focus on consolidating the strengths in your profile as well as your reasons for doing an MBA and put these points forward in a compelling manner.

Should you wish to discuss your prospects in a detailed manner, please feel free to request a profile evaluation session with us.

All the best!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 586 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Need help - mba query [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dhruv120292 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have worked at Macquarie Group for 7 years in accounting post which i did my MS Finance at SMU Singapore. Interned there at 4 places, and now work as a M&A Analyst for a boutique financial advisory firm in Dubai.

I am 31 currently and was thinking to do a mba at 33 (preferably 1 year full time) to make a jump to a bigger PE fund/ bulge M&A.

Yet to give my gmat, but wanted to get guidance if i am too late already if i start at 33 and whether a jump i am looking to make seems possible.

I am only doing this to get a bigger jump in career in terms of brand i work for and salary.

A pivot to PE is extremely difficult for any MBA student. I believe you could make the jump to a bulge bracket through your professional network. Regarding the MBA- just wondering if you have considered the Dubal (or London) based LBS eMBA or the Abu Dhabi based INSEAD eMBA? You can continue working while doing the MBA. This route can also help you move to a BB.

Namita Garg
Founder, MBA Decoder
Ask for a profile evaluation: https://mbadecoder.com/services/free-pr ... valuation/
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Need help - mba query [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello Dhruv120292,

It's great to hear about your career and educational background. Pursuing an MBA can indeed be a valuable step to enhance your career prospects and achieve your goals. Starting an MBA at 33 is not uncommon at all. Many MBA programs have a diverse age range in their classes, and applicants with several years of work experience are often preferred. Your seven years of experience in accounting and your current role as an M&A Analyst should be seen as valuable assets that can contribute to the classroom experience. One-year full-time MBA programs are popular among professionals who want to minimize time away from work and focus on specific career goals. Since you already have a master's degree (MS Finance), you may be eligible for some accelerated MBA programs or shorter duration options.

An MBA from a reputable business school can significantly enhance your chances of making a transition to a bigger Private Equity (PE) fund or bulge bracket M&A firm. Top-tier business schools have strong industry connections, and their alumni networks can open up new opportunities. Preparing for and scoring well on the GMAT is an essential step in the MBA application process. As someone with a finance background, you may have a good foundation for the quantitative section, but it's important to allocate sufficient time for preparation.

Clearly define your post-MBA career goals in your application. Admission committees want to see that you have a well-thought-out plan and that an MBA is a logical step toward achieving it. Before committing to an MBA, evaluate the return on investment (ROI) of the program, taking into account the cost of tuition and potential lost income during your studies. Remember that the decision to pursue an MBA is significant and should align with your long-term career aspirations.

Best of luck with your MBA journey and your future career aspirations!

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

Dhruv120292 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Dhruv120292 wrote:
Hi everyone,

If I were you, I would pursue an MBA in only 2 conditions:
1. The employer sponsored you OR
2. You would get absorbed right back into the the PE post your MBA

Getting into a new geography will present new challenges by itself; PE & M&A funds are notorious for not being very open to senior candidates post MBA. Unless therefore, your DETAILED research (remember the devil here lies in the details) of how many grads were hired post their MBAs into PE funds/ bulge M&As reveals information, think about the risks involved, and the investment, both in the time (1 year of your life in the MBA + time for GMAT & Application Prep) and the money.

Hope that helps
GMAT Club Bot