GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Nine marbles are numbered one through nine and placed in a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Nine marbles are numbered one through nine and placed in a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2007, 08:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (03:33) correct 69% (02:39) wrong based on 60 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Nine marbles are numbered one through nine and placed in a jar. Three marbles are randomly selected from the jar, one is placed in a cup, and two are discarded. Next, another three marbles are selected from the jar, two are placed in the same cup as the first, and one is discarded. Finally, out of the three that remain in the jar, one is placed in the cup, and two are discarded. What is the probability that the four marbles in the cup all have prime numbers written on them?

A. 1/63
B. 1/6
C. 4/9
D. 809/1260
E. cannot be determined

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Re: Nine marbles are numbered one through nine and placed in a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2007, 11:40
Why four marbles in the cup? 3 rounds of 3 marbles are taken from the group of 9 marbles, every time discarding 2 and putting only 1 in the cup.

Wouldn't there be only 3 marbles in the cup?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2007, 12:02
I believe the second time he puts two in the jar and throws one away so at the end we would have 4 in the jar. I'm still working on it.....my probability skills aren't that great...gotta work on that!!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2007, 06:48
ajluberto wrote:
Nine marbles are numbered one through nine and placed in a jar. Three marbles are randomly selected from the jar, one is placed in a cup, and two are discarded. Next, another three marbles are selected from the jar, two are placed in the same cup as the first, and one is discarded. Finally, out of the three that remain in the jar, one is placed in the cup, and two are discarded. What is the probability that the four marbles in the cup all have prime numbers written on them?

A. 1/63
B. 1/6
C. 4/9
D. 809/1260
E. cannot be determined

HELP!!!

Ajluberto, are you sure you posted correct answer choices?
There are four prime numbers between 1 and 9, namely 2,3,5 and 7, so we are asked what is the probabality that all 4 prime numbers have been put into the cup.
I tried various approaces to this Q, but all my answers do not fit to your answer choices...
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2007, 07:23
After hours fighting agaist my math demmons I got the solution:

make 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
x p p x p x p x x

so we have 4 primes (p)

now we want for the first round pxx, xxp or xpx
(4/9*5/8*4/7) * 3 = 30/63
but we still want 1 p and for that the chance is 1/3 from the above
30/63*1/3 = 10/63

second round xpp,ppx,pxp
(3/6*3/5*2/4) * 3=9/20
but we still want 2p and for that the chance is 2/3 from the above
9/20*2/3=3/10

finnaly, we want from the rest pxx,xxp or xpx and we get
(1/3*2/2*1/1)*3=1
but we still want 1 p and for that the chance is 1/3 from the above
1*1/3=1/3

so great people the total probability is 10/63*3/10*1/3

what equals 1/63....that´s our answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2007, 09:35
Great Job andrehaui! Thats the answer. This question was from an advanced Princeton Review exercise.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2007, 13:02
Thank you my friend. I can tell you that was not easy to arrive the answer, but after all it is not a monster, it is just question of time and logic. Good luck at your Gmat! :wink:
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2011, 21:10
Adrehaui, I think you made a small miscalculation. In the second round, the probability you picked the two primes is 1/3 not 2/3 (equal to the probability you will not pick a composite, there is only one composite out of three).

There is a much easier way to look at the question.

By an argument of symmetry, all numbers are equally likely to end inside the cup.

Therefore the answer is
P(choose 4 from 9).
For the first number in the cup, peobability it is a prime is 4/9
For second it is 3/8 (assuming the first WAS prime).
For third it is 2/7
For fourth it is 1/6

Giving a total probability of 1/126

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2011, 22:04
ajluberto wrote:

A. 1/63
B. 1/6
C. 4/9
D. 809/1260
E. cannot be determined
HELP!!!

\(\frac{C^5_2*C^4_1}{C^9_3}*\frac{1}{3}*\frac{C^3_2*C^3_1}{C^6_3}*\frac{2}{3}*\frac{1}{3}=\frac{1}{63}\)

Ans: "A"
S
GPA: 3.92
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 18:45
ajluberto wrote:

A. 1/63
B. 1/6
C. 4/9
D. 809/1260
E. cannot be determined

HELP!!!

This is sooooo easy........just kidding,......but here is my try at explaining this more than solving (as two members have already solved the problem), just so people interested can understand the logic behind. This might not be a GMAT Q, but definitely worth understanding, will help in the GMAT:

4 prime and 5 non-prime numbers in the list
1st selection:
1 used and 2 dropped
Total selected = 3 of 9 = 9C3
Selecting 1 prime = 4C1 (since only one marble is placed in the cup and we want this one marble to be a prime)
Selecting 2 non prime = 5C2

P(of selecting one prime and 2 non prime from the jar) = \(\frac{(4C1 * 5C2)}{9C3}\)

Now, out of the 3 selected (i.e. one prime and 2 non-prime) only one is placed in the cup and the other 2 are dropped, hence chance of a prime being placed in the cup is 1/3

P(of selecting one prime and 2 non prime from the jar & placing the prime in the cup) = \(\frac{(4C1 * 5C2)}{9C3} * \frac{1}{3}\)

2nd selection:
2 used and 1 dropped
Total selected = 3 of 6 = 6C3
Selecting 2 prime = 3C2 (since only two marbles is placed in the cup and we want these two marbles to be prime)
Selecting 1 non prime = 3C1

P(of selecting two prime and 1 non prime from the jar) = \(\frac{(3C2 * 3C1)}{6C3}\)

Now, out of the 3 selected (i.e. two prime and 1 non-prime) two are placed in the cup and the other is dropped, hence chance of both prime being placed in the cup is 2/3

P(of selecting two prime and 1 non prime from the jar & placing both prime in the cup) = \(\frac{(3C2 * 3C1)}{6C3} * \frac{2}{3}\)

3rd selection:
1 used and 2 dropped
Total selected = 3 of 3 = 3C3 (only 3 remain)
Selecting 1 prime = 1C1 (only 1 prime remains)
Selecting 2 non prime = 2C2 (only 2 non-prime remain)

P(of selecting one prime and two non prime from the jar) = \(\frac{(1C1 * 2C2)}{3C3}\)

Now, out of the 3 selected (i.e. one prime and two non-prime) one is placed in the cup and the other two are dropped, hence chance of prime being placed in the cup is 1/3

P(of selecting one prime and two non prime from the jar & placing placing prime in the cup) = \(\frac{(1C1 * 2C2)}{3C3} * \frac{1}{3}\)

P(all 4 marbles in the cup are prime) = \(\frac{(4C1 * 5C2)}{9C3} * \frac{1}{3} * \frac{(3C2 * 3C1)}{6C3} * \frac{2}{3} * \frac{(1C1 * 1C2)}{3C3} * \frac{1}{3}\) = \(\frac{10}{21} * \frac{1}{3} * \frac{9}{20} *\frac{2}{3} * 1 * \frac{1}{3}=\frac{1}{63}\)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 00:54
If you remove all the noise from the question. It basically says that what is the probability of selecting 4 numbers from 1-9 and all of them are prime. i.e 4C4/9C4 i.e 1/63.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: Marshall '19
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 18:48
sahilcordeiro wrote:
If you remove all the noise from the question. It basically says that what is the probability of selecting 4 numbers from 1-9 and all of them are prime. i.e 4C4/9C4 i.e 1/63.

OK so 4C4 is 1, but then 9C4 is 9! / 4!5! = 9*8*7*6 / 4*3*2 = 9*2*7 / 1 = 126 ... so it is 1/126. What am I doing wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 08:22
ajluberto wrote:

A. 1/63
B. 1/6
C. 4/9
D. 809/1260
E. cannot be determined

Bunuel IanStewart VeritasPrepKarishma

Please help with this problem

I'm getting 1/126
B
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 11:40
sahilcordeiro wrote:

4C4/9C4 comes out to be 1/126
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 01:02
ShashankDave wrote:
ajluberto wrote:

A. 1/63
B. 1/6
C. 4/9
D. 809/1260
E. cannot be determined

I'm getting 1/126

Agreed, it is 1/126. In the second round, there is a 1/3 chance of putting two primes in the cup, not 2/3 as some have calculated.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 03:26
theprobabilotyguy wrote:
Adrehaui, I think you made a small miscalculation. In the second round, the probability you picked the two primes is 1/3 not 2/3 (equal to the probability you will not pick a composite, there is only one composite out of three).

There is a much easier way to look at the question.

By an argument of symmetry, all numbers are equally likely to end inside the cup.

Therefore the answer is
P(choose 4 from 9).
For the first number in the cup, peobability it is a prime is 4/9
For second it is 3/8 (assuming the first WAS prime).
For third it is 2/7
For fourth it is 1/6

Giving a total probability of 1/126

Posted from my mobile device

G
Nine marbles are numbered one through nine and placed in a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 06:20
ShashankDave wrote:

I'm getting 1/126

1/126 is the correct answer. My solution would be identical to theprobabilotyguy's above. The fact that we're discarding some marbles doesn't matter - we don't know anything about those discarded marbles, so they don't make it any more or less likely that the marbles we keep display prime numbers. So the answer is just:

4/9 * 3/8 * 2/7 * 1/6 = 1/126

So the correct answer isn't among the options. This isn't what hard GMAT questions are like anyway, so better to find a more realistic set of problems.

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
Nine marbles are numbered one through nine and placed in a   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2017, 06:20

Nine marbles are numbered one through nine and placed in a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap