Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619197 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Noun Modifiers can Modify slightly far away noun [#permalink]
I don't have clear if the modifier can be separated by a noun modifier between commas. For instance,

Marconi conceived of the radio as a tool for private conversation, a substitute for the telephone, which has become precisely the opposite, a tool for communicating with a large, public audience.

This sentence is correct?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Noun Modifiers can Modify slightly far away noun [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MartyKaan No, we generally don't want to stack noun modifiers. In the sentence you provided, "which" seems to apply to "telephone" rather than "radio."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.48
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
egmat, Thanks a lot for this wonderful article. Another post on Gmatclub, which was on the same topic, gave me a hard time. Many thanks.

Also, in the above sentence the word "which" modifies the post even though "on Gmatclub" is present. This is possible as "on Gmatclub" modifies the post. Am I right? :think:
Manager
Manager
Status:Having fun Growing Mental Agility & Toughness (GMAT) ^_^
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
Mantra: "There is a will, there is a way."
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Noun Modifiers can Modify slightly far away noun [#permalink]
Thanks a lot! Know I understand why: :thumbsup:
RIGHT: "I took the pictures of my dog, which are so adorable." --> "of dog" modifies a noun (dog)
WRONG: "I took the pictures in 1995, which are so adorable." --> "in 1995" modifies a verb (took)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Below is another example of this! OG correct answer with a "which" phrase referring back to a noun that's not immediately before it [which].

Global warming is said to be responsible for extreme weather changes, such as the heavy rains that led to flooding throughout the state of California, causing more than $2 billion in damages, and the heat wave in the Northeastern and Midwestern United States, which was also the cause of a great amount of damage and destruction. - correct answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I have a question about this OG SC sentence

While Noble Sissle may be best known for his collaboration with Eubie Blake, as both a vaudeville performer and as a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, also enjoying an independent career as a singer with such groups as Hahn's Jubilee Singers.

(A) and as a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, also enjoying
(B) and writing lyrics for songs and Broadway musicals, also enjoying
(C) and a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed
(D) as well as writing lyrics for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed
(E) as well as a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he had also enjoyed

The correct choice is (C), so the correct sentence is
While Noble Sissle may be best known for his collaboration with Eubie Blake, as both a vaudeville performer and a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals, he also enjoyed an independent career as a singer with such groups as Hahn's Jubilee Singers.

I am not clear about the role of "as both a vaudeville performer and a lyricist for songs and Broadway musicals". Does it modify the far-way noun " Noble Sissle" in the while clause or modify "he", the subject of the main clause?
It seems to be a dangling modifier, but it is in the correct choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi E-gmat team,

Really great article. It has helped me to improve my understanding of this topic. Could you kindly help to clarify my understanding further in this question below:

The satellite Orbiter will spend some time hunting for brown dwarfs, masses of gas smaller than our Sun, which are too cool to burn and which may make up the Universe's 'Invisible dark matter'

A.) brown dwarfs, masses of gas smaller than our Sun, which are too cool to burn and which may make up the Universe's 'Invisible dark matter'

B.) brown dwarfs which are masses of gas smaller than our Sun, which are too cool to burn and which may make up the Universe 'Invisible dark matter'

C.) brown dwarfs, masses of gas smaller than our Sun, that are too cool to burn and which may make up the Universe's 'Invisible dark matter'

D.) brown dwarfs; masses of gas smaller than our Sun that are too cool to burn and that are making up the Universe's 'Invisible dark matter'

E.) brown dwarfs that are masses of gas smaller than our Sun, which are too cool to burn and which may make up the Universe 'Invisible dark matter'

Here A is the right answer. I have minor confusion in this option alone

option a

brown dwarfs is modifed by "masses of gas smaller than our sun". Hence, which are too cool to burn and which may make up the Universe's 'Invisible dark matter can jump across this modifier to modify brown dwarfs (is my understanding correct ?)

also is "which" usage correct or would "that" be a better use here ? reason if i remove the masses of gas smaller than our sun.. then the sentence reduces to

brown dwarfs which are too cool to burn and which may make up the Universe's 'Invisible dark matter' .. but from my understanding which should have a comma before it...

hope i was able to articulate my doubt. Kindly help to clarify. thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos