GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 14:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Jul 2018, 07:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (00:50) correct 38% (00:59) wrong based on 946 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses.

(A) that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses

(B) that creates unconscious physiological responses in turn

(C) creating, in turn, unconscious physiological responses

(D) to create, in turn, physiological responses that are unconscious

(E) who creates unconscious physiological responses in turn

Attachment:
01.jpg
01.jpg [ 66.63 KiB | Viewed 582 times ]

Attachment:
02.jpg
02.jpg [ 122.13 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]

Attachment:
03.jpg
03.jpg [ 106.19 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]

Attachment:
04.jpg
04.jpg [ 26.9 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 09 Oct 2012, 02:14.
Last edited by hazelnut on 29 Jul 2018, 07:28, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
MBA Section Director
V
Re: The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 02:44
souvik101990 wrote:
The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses.

Concept tested: Constructions, Parallelism, Meaning
Difficulty: Hard
Illustration:
E. Who, referring to individuals, is not responsible for psychological responses
D. this means lying produces the responses. Incorrect
C. this means that the individuals are creating psychological responses. Incorrect.
B. creates is singular while the subject (emotional reactions) is plural

A. Correct

Tip: verb+ING when follows a noun without a comma MUST modify that noun.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
GRE 1: Q800 V800

GRE 2: Q800 V800

Re: The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Oct 2012, 18:24

The easiest place to start is probably with the create/creates split. What "create(s)...responses"? The emotional reaction. (Strictly speaking the subject of the verb "create" is the pronoun "that." More on this issue later.) Since "emotional reactions" is plural, we want a plural verb, "create." That eliminates B and E. "Creating" in C is a present participle, and "to create" in D is an infinitive, so neither of these is either singular or plural.

Next we might consider which form of the verb "create" is appropriate, the verb "create," the present participle "creating," or the infinitive "to create." A verb-form split usually signals either an idiom problem or a problem with parallelism, but not in this case. Rather, neither C nor D captures the original meaning. Answer C: A present participle (-ing word) immediately preceded by a noun (no comma separating them) attributes action to that noun. So C means that "an individual" creates responses. Answer D: Here, "to create" suggests that the goal of producing emotional reactions is to create physiological responses.

That leaves A, the correct answer.

Addendum 1. I began by asking "What creates responses?" This common-sense question is usually adequate to match a verb to its subject. Sometimes you'll have a couple of reasonable answers, and you'll have to look more closely at the grammar. The verbs in relative clauses--noun-modifying clauses that start with "that" or one of the "wh-" words, "which," "who/m," "when," "where"--actually modify the relative pronouns that precede them, but those relative pronouns are themselves singular or plural depending on the nouns to which they refer. The long and short of it is that you're probably better off with the common-sense question than with the subtle grammatical question here.

Addendum 2. With few exceptions, relative clauses modify the nouns or noun phrases they touch. In this question, "that...create...responses" touches the noun "individual," but it also touches the noun phrase "emotional reactions in an individual," that is, the noun "reactions" plus the adjective "emotional" plus the prepositional phrase "in an individual." That whole phrase, or if you prefer the noun at its heart, is modified by the relative clause. Frankly, I think that it's a little clumsy here, and I might have had a bit of trouble had I started with the modifier issue.

Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Originally posted by MichaelS on 14 Oct 2012, 11:04.
Last edited by MichaelS on 14 Oct 2012, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 14:51
(B) that creates unconscious physiological responses in turn [ verb disagreement - responses....creates]
(C) creating, in turn, unconscious physiological responses [it seems that the individual is creating the psychological responses not the emotional reactions]
(D) to create, in turn, physiological responses that are unconscious [same as C]
(E) who creates unconscious physiological responses in turn[/quote] [ same as C]
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2012, 05:13
souvik101990 wrote:

Concept tested: Constructions, Parallelism, Meaning
Difficulty: Hard
Illustration:
E. Who, referring to individuals, is not responsible for psychological responses
D. this means lying produces the responses. Incorrect
C. this means that the individuals are creating psychological responses. Incorrect.
B. creates is singular while the subject (emotional reactions) is plural

A. Correct

Tip: verb+ING when follows a noun without a comma MUST modify that noun.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2012, 12:46
MichaelS wrote:

The easiest place to start is probably with the create/creates split. What "create(s)...responses"? The emotional reaction. (Strictly speaking the subject of the verb "create" is the pronoun "that." More on this issue later.) Since "emotional reactions" is plural, we want a plural verb, "create." That eliminates B and E. "Creating" in C is a present participle, and "to create" in D is an infinitive, so neither of these is either singular or plural.

Next we might consider which form of the verb "create" is appropriate, the verb "create," the present participle "creating," or the infinitive "to create." A verb-form split usually signals either an idiom problem or a problem with parallelism, but not in this case. Rather, neither C nor D captures the original meaning. Answer C: A present participle (-ing word) not immediately preceded by a noun (no comma separating them) attributes action to that noun. So C means that "an individual" creates responses. Answer D: here, "to create" suggests that the goal of producing emotional reactions is to create physiological responses.

Addendum 1. I began by asking "What creates responses?" This common-sense question is usually adequate to match a verb to its subject. Sometimes you'll have a couple of reasonable answers, and you'll have to look more closely at the grammar. The verbs in relative clauses--noun-modifying clauses that start with "that" or one of the "wh-" words, "which," "who/m," "when," "where"--actually modify the relative pronouns that precede them, but those relative pronouns are themselves singular or plural depending on the nouns to which they refer. The long and short of it is that you're probably better off with the common-sense question than with the subtle grammatical question here.

Addendum 2. With few exceptions, relative clauses modify the nouns or noun phrases they touch. In this question, "that...create...responses" touches the noun "individual," but it also touches the noun phrase "emotional reactions in an individual," that is, the noun "reactions" plus the adjective "emotional" plus the prepositional phrase "in an individual." That whole phrase, or if you prefer the noun at its heart, is modified by the relative clause. Frankly, I think that it's a little clumsy here, and I might have had a bit of trouble had I started with the modifier issue.

Thanks Michael for your detail explanation. Among other things, the best part of your explanation is that you give us the approach to solve these problems rather than just listing out the error, something that will help us a lot.

Regarding Addendum 2, the below question is taken from GMAT prep and the OA is B

Some scientists suggest the moon had been formed out of part of the Earth, which was dislodged perhaps by a meteor.
A)the moon had been formed out of part of the Earth, which was dislodged perhaps
B)that the moon was formed from part of the Earth that had perhaps been dislodged
C)that part of the Earth formed the moon, which was dislodged perhaps
D)the moon was formed out of part of the Earth, having perhaps been dislodged
E)that the moon had been formed from part of the Earth, which perhaps had been dislodged

Since this from GMAT prep the only conclusion that I could draw is If you have X of Y that" then "that" is allowed to modify the whole "X of Y", instead of only X
Is this understanding correct? If it were to modify only the preceding noun then option B wouldn't make any sense...

Because of this ambiguous "that", which I didn't know how to handle, I was torn between B and D. Could you please let us know how we can eliminate D and pick B.

I wasn't able to eliminate using "Suggest that" split because in one of Thursdays with Ron video he had given the below 2 examples, both of which is right

I proposed that we meet on Wednesday rather than Tuesday.
I proposed a new meeting time.

so "that" after suggest is not mandatory, hence I can't use that for elimination.
The "having" in D also makes sense,right?, because "having" is a verbing modifier which modifies action of the preceding clause in this case " the moon was formed out of part of the Earth"

Could you please enlighten us on how to deal with this SC problem?

Cheers
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2012, 13:17
Hey
According the examples that you have given with the verb "proposed" a pattern can be observed.
When I use "that" with propose I usually mean a finding/report/suggestion/proposal etc!
When I don't use that, I mean something specific.
If I am being a little inexplicable here, I apologize.
What I mean can be illustrated with the following example.
My boss suggested that I work harder.
She suggested a banana for breakfast.
Hope this helps.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2012, 13:27
souvik101990 wrote:
Hey
According the examples that you have given with the verb "proposed" a pattern can be observed.
When I use "that" with propose I usually mean a finding/report/suggestion/proposal etc!
When I don't use that, I mean something specific.
If I am being a little inexplicable here, I apologize.
What I mean can be illustrated with the following example.
My boss suggested that I work harder.
She suggested a banana for breakfast.
Hope this helps.

ahhhh... I get what u are saying...

Scientists suggest the moon -> they are not suggesting the noun MOON
Scientists suggest that the moon is.... blah blah... -> they are suggesting something about the moon...

Cheers
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2012, 14:36
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2012, 19:49
Yet another clue to eliminate at least 2 choices will be the placement of the adverbial phrase ‘in turn’. The adverb modifies the verb create and therefore should be obviously placed adjacent to that. B and E lose weight because of the wrong word order of the phrase -in turn -.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2013, 01:22
MichaelS wrote:

Next we might consider which form of the verb "create" is appropriate, the verb "create," the present participle "creating," or the infinitive "to create." A verb-form split usually signals either an idiom problem or a problem with parallelism, but not in this case. Rather, neither C nor D captures the original meaning. Answer C: A present participle (-ing word) immediately preceded by a noun (no comma separating them) attributes action to that noun. So C means that "an individual" creates responses. Answer D: Here, "to create" suggests that the goal of producing emotional reactions is to create physiological responses.

thank you , manhantan expert for your posting here and we can learn from you

2 things I want to discuss.

"which/that clause" modifying far noun or noun groun is consider inferior or in your word "clumsy". it is accepatable in above sentence but is considered an error in other problem. for example, in the question 48 og13, it is considered unacceptable. what I learn from this is that we have to eliminate it if we have better choice.

second thing.

in your posting, you said that "what create" and you find out "reaction"

the important point for success on this question and for all question on sc is to understand the intended meaning when we read only the original sentence. all native persons can realize soon that "reactions" do "create" but for non native, to realize this meaing require a great effort and more time. native spearkers can realize that "reaction" do "create" in 5 seconds but non native need at least 50 seconds, I think, to choose between 2 meanings, "reaction" do "create" or "lying" do "create". This process is painfull to the non native but is key to success on sc problems

that is why the process of understanding/predicting the intended meaning when reading only the original choice is a good strategy for non native. the non native need to do a process which the native do subconciously and without effort. The difference is clear.

in your posting, the above process is mentioned in a few words because you , the native, do this process naturally and without effort.

when reading the original choice which normally a distorted meaning, the native can immediately realize the intended meaning and so can realize the errors easily. in contrast, when the non native read the distorted meaning, the original choice, they find hard to infer the intended meaning and if they do not try to infer the intended meaing and go to answer choice prematurely, they meet more difficulties.

pls comment, is my thinking correct?

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 13:10
The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an
individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses.

A. that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses
Seems correct as it is …

B. that creates unconscious physiological responses in turn
“creates” is singular …where as our subject is “reactions” – plural
Incorrect

C. creating, in turn, unconscious physiological responses
a comma before “creating” is required if it has to modify the preceding clause …in its present form – without comma - “creating” is modifying “individual”

D. to create, in turn, physiological responses that are unconscious
“to create” gives an impression that lying intentionally produces emotional reactions in order to create unconscious physiological responses

E. who creates unconscious physiological responses in turn
Because of “who” the sentence now says that “individual” is creating unconscious physiological responses

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2018, 01:52
souvik101990 GMATNinja

In option A, "that" is referring to "reaction". If thats the case, then "creating" will also refer to "reaction" and not "individual"

Can you let me know where I am going wrong?

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2018, 08:51
Although I have retired from posting explanations on the verbal forums, but WTH!

pikolo2510 wrote:
souvik101990 GMATNinja

In option A, "that" is referring to "reaction". If thats the case, then "creating" will also refer to "reaction" and not "individual"

Can you let me know where I am going wrong?

Nah. Good point though. Think about these two sentence.

I bought the new iPhone from a retailer that has no headphone jack.

- it is pretty clear that in this sentence that the verb "has" is used for the noun iPhone and not the noun retailer. Most of the times GMAT will have sentences where modifiers set off by words such as which and that modify the closest proceeding noun, but in a few cases the noun has been separated by a small phrase as in this case from a retailer

However, if there are no modifiers at all the verb will invariable be acted by the noun proceeding it. For example,

I went to see her in the hospital feeling sorry. - WRONG

This might be okay in a conversational sense, but in formal writing, this does not work at all. The hospital is not really feeling anything (unless you are playing Resident Evil where hospitals are a living being that produce nurse-zombies, but we are not!)

I want to sit next to the girl wearing the dragon tattoo - The girl is the one wearing the fabled tattoo and not you.

General rule to remember - if there is an ING construction right after a noun (without a comma), the ING must refer to the noun, and for most of the cases on the GMAT it will be a wrong answer choice.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 12:11
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 12:55
souvik101990 wrote:
Although I have retired from posting explanations on the verbal forums, but WTH!

Nooooooooooooooooo! You can't retire!!! ;)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 14:01
GMATNinja wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Nooooooooooooooooo! You can't retire!!! ;)

haha I will keep swinging by. This reminds me, my explanation had a glaring typo - I used the verb "seem' but then later changed the sentence which made it look really weird. Fixed it :)

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 20:39
souvik101990 wrote:
haha I will keep swinging by. This reminds me, my explanation had a glaring typo - I used the verb "seem' but then later changed the sentence which made it look really weird. Fixed it :)

Do I get fired for failing to notice the typo? :oops:

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V30
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 5: 740 Q51 V39
GMAT 6: 740 Q49 V44
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 17:50
How come "that" modify a plural noun reactions? Isn't the use of "those" appropriate here?

Everything is in flux, nothing stays still

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 04:26
Blackishmamba wrote:
How come "that" modify a plural noun reactions? Isn't the use of "those" appropriate here?

That can act as relative as well as demonstrative pronoun:
1. Acting as relative pronoun - 'That' can refer to singular/plural noun
2. Acting as demonstrative pronoun - 'That' can only refer to singular noun, and those is used for plural noun.

In the above sentence 'that' is acting as a relative pronoun.
Re: The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jul 2018, 04:26

The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap