GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 12:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Oct 2018, 03:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (00:51) correct 40% (01:01) wrong based on 3979 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses.

(A) that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses

(B) that creates unconscious physiological responses in turn

(C) creating, in turn, unconscious physiological responses

(D) to create, in turn, physiological responses that are unconscious

(E) who creates unconscious physiological responses in turn

OG16 SC129

Spoiler: :: Official Explanation
Attachment:
01.jpg
01.jpg [ 41.57 KiB | Viewed 4418 times ]

Attachment:
02.jpg
02.jpg [ 76.46 KiB | Viewed 4427 times ]

Attachment:
03.jpg
03.jpg [ 66.81 KiB | Viewed 4425 times ]

Attachment:
04.jpg
04.jpg [ 16.85 KiB | Viewed 4422 times ]

Originally posted by flyinhair on 06 Sep 2009, 09:19.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Oct 2018, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
GRE 1: Q800 V800

GRE 2: Q800 V800

Re: The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Oct 2012, 17:24
The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses.

The easiest place to start is probably with the create/creates split. What "create(s)...responses"? The emotional reaction. (Strictly speaking the subject of the verb "create" is the pronoun "that." More on this issue later.) Since "emotional reactions" is plural, we want a plural verb, "create." That eliminates B and E. "Creating" in C is a present participle, and "to create" in D is an infinitive, so neither of these is either singular or plural.

Next we might consider which form of the verb "create" is appropriate, the verb "create," the present participle "creating," or the infinitive "to create." A verb-form split usually signals either an idiom problem or a problem with parallelism, but not in this case. Rather, neither C nor D captures the original meaning. Answer C: A present participle (-ing word) immediately preceded by a noun (no comma separating them) attributes action to that noun. So C means that "an individual" creates responses. Answer D: Here, "to create" suggests that the goal of producing emotional reactions is to create physiological responses.

That leaves A, the correct answer.

Addendum 1. I began by asking "What creates responses?" This common-sense question is usually adequate to match a verb to its subject. Sometimes you'll have a couple of reasonable answers, and you'll have to look more closely at the grammar. The verbs in relative clauses--noun-modifying clauses that start with "that" or one of the "wh-" words, "which," "who/m," "when," "where"--actually modify the relative pronouns that precede them, but those relative pronouns are themselves singular or plural depending on the nouns to which they refer. The long and short of it is that you're probably better off with the common-sense question than with the subtle grammatical question here.

Addendum 2. With few exceptions, relative clauses modify the nouns or noun phrases they touch. In this question, "that...create...responses" touches the noun "individual," but it also touches the noun phrase "emotional reactions in an individual," that is, the noun "reactions" plus the adjective "emotional" plus the prepositional phrase "in an individual." That whole phrase, or if you prefer the noun at its heart, is modified by the relative clause. Frankly, I think that it's a little clumsy here, and I might have had a bit of trouble had I started with the modifier issue.

Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Originally posted by MichaelS on 14 Oct 2012, 10:04.
Last edited by MichaelS on 14 Oct 2012, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Re: The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2009, 19:06
A it is. Emotional reactions in an individual that - here emotional reactions is followed by a prepositional phrase so that will not modify the noun in prepositional phrase but will modify whatever comes before prepositional phrase.
General Discussion
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 01:44
souvik101990 wrote:

Concept tested: Constructions, Parallelism, Meaning
Difficulty: Hard
Illustration:
E. Who, referring to individuals, is not responsible for psychological responses
D. this means lying produces the responses. Incorrect
C. this means that the individuals are creating psychological responses. Incorrect.
B. creates is singular while the subject (emotional reactions) is plural

A. Correct

Tip: verb+ING when follows a noun without a comma MUST modify that noun.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2012, 04:13
souvik101990 wrote:

Concept tested: Constructions, Parallelism, Meaning
Difficulty: Hard
Illustration:
E. Who, referring to individuals, is not responsible for psychological responses
D. this means lying produces the responses. Incorrect
C. this means that the individuals are creating psychological responses. Incorrect.
B. creates is singular while the subject (emotional reactions) is plural

A. Correct

Tip: verb+ING when follows a noun without a comma MUST modify that noun.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2013, 00:24
Hi Skag55

Let me try this question.

First, meaning is KEY. what creates unconscious physiological response? an individual OR emotional reactions? Clearly, the latter - emotional reactions - does because it follows the structure: lying --> emotional reactions that make a person express --> unconscious physiological response.

Note:"that" does not follow "touch" rule here. It's quite rare in GMAT, because normally "that" modifies the closest noun. The question, however, addresses the meaning rather than grammar rule.

[i]The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological response.

A) that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses.
Correct.

B) that create unconscious physiological responses in turn.
Wrong. "in turn" should be placed after "that" to make the sentence logically.

C) creating, in turn, unconscious physiological responses.
Wrong. "creating" modifies "an individual" --> wrong meaning.

D) to create, in turn, physiological responses that are unconscious.
Wrong. Meaning is awkward: lying produces emotional reactions to create unconscious responses <-- wrong.

E) who creates unconscious physiological responses in turn.
Wrong. "who" modifies "an individual" --> changes meaning --> wrong.

Hope it helps.

Can someone clarify this please? (hopefully once and for all! :-D )[/quote]

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2014, 02:56
The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological response.
A) that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses.
B) that create unconscious physiological responses in turn.
C) creating, in turn, unconscious physiological responses.
D) to create, in turn, physiological responses that are unconscious.
E) who creates unconscious physiological responses in turn.

Please can some one explain why is that referring to reactions and not individual ?
Doesn't that refer to the imediate preceding noun ?

Please help !
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2014, 03:13
ankitaprsd wrote:
Please can some one explain why is that referring to reactions and not individual ?
Doesn't that refer to the imediate preceding noun ?

Three reasons:
i) that cannot refer to people (for the most part, that can only refer to non-living things)
ii) If that refers to individual, then the verb would be creates (and not create), though one could argue that there is a Subject-verb disagreement in the original sentence
iii) Logically, it is the emotional reactions (and not individual) that creates unconscious physiological response.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana lays down a simple framework to determine what that modifies, it application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2014, 16:13
scheol79 wrote:

I am unable to understand, what is "that" referring to, is it referring to lying produces emotional reactions in an individual or to emotional reactions. And the reasoning behind that.

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2014, 20:01
Thoughtosphere wrote:
scheol79 wrote:

I am unable to understand, what is "that" referring to, is it referring to lying produces emotional reactions in an individual or to emotional reactions. And the reasoning behind that.

THAT and WHICH are noun modifiers. They modifies preceding noun ,but in few cases they can modify slightly far away noun.
For eg.,

The new motor act that allows drivers not to carry DL all the time was enforced yesterday. : In this sentence THAT modifies preceding noun The new motor act and explains that.

Now see this example:

John is student at school in Delhi,which provides special education for disabled students.

Now in this sentence Which modifies school not Delhi because Delhi describes school and can not be placed anywhere else in the sentence.

Same is the case with this problem.
first that is modifying assumption and second that is modifying emotional reactions
Notice that second THAT can not modify "an individual" because this phrase is modifying "emotional reactions" and can not be placed anywhere else in the sentence.

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 07:50
Thoughtosphere wrote:

that is used as a relative pronoun here. Since it is a pronoun, it can only refer to nouns. So, that cannot refer to lying produces emotional reactions in an individual, because lying produces emotional reactions in an individual is a clause since it has a verb produces; as I mentioned, that can only refer to nouns/noun-phrases, not to verbs/clauses.

Also, notice that that cannot refer to individual, because when used as a relative pronoun, that cannot refer to people (in this case individual). So basically, that refers to emotional reactions.

p.s. which and that behave very distinctly in this regard. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these differences between which and that, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 04:32
EducationAisle wrote:
Thoughtosphere wrote:

that is used as a relative pronoun here. Since it is a pronoun, it can only refer to nouns. So, that cannot refer to lying produces emotional reactions in an individual, because lying produces emotional reactions in an individual is a clause since it has a verb produces; as I mentioned, that can only refer to nouns/noun-phrases, not to verbs/clauses.

Also, notice that that cannot refer to individual, because when used as a relative pronoun, that cannot refer to people (in this case individual). So basically, that refers to emotional reactions.

p.s. which and that behave very distinctly in this regard. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these differences between which and that, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.

isn't it true that "THAT" can have only singular antecedents and take only singular verbs...when u want to refer to plural antecedents "THOSE" replace "THAT"...

so how is "THAT" here referring to "emotional reactions "....
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 07:03
sugand wrote:
isn't it true that "THAT" can have only singular antecedents and take only singular verbs...when u want to refer to plural antecedents "THOSE" replace "THAT"...

that is one of the most versatile words in English grammar. It has 3 most prominent avatars:

i) As a relative pronoun, that relates to another noun preceding it in the sentence. Example: The car that is parked in the basement is mine.

ii) As a demonstrative pronoun, that stands for a person, place or thing that must be pointed to. Example: Peter's brother is taller than that of Jack.

iii) As a conjunction, that connects two clauses. Example: He said that he would work hard.

Based on which of the avatars the word that is used as, there are some key differences. One of the differences is: When used as a relative pronoun, that can refer to both singular and plural nouns. So, both the following are correct:

The car that is parked in the basement is mine.
– Relative pronoun that refers to singular noun car.

The cars that are parked in the basement are mine.
– Relative pronoun that refers to plural noun cars.

However, when used as a demonstrative pronoun, that can only refer to singular nouns. So, while the following are correct:

Peter's brother is taller than that of Jack.

Following is not correct (assuming Jack has multiple businesses):

Peter's businesses are doing better than that of Jack.
- Demonsrative pronoun that cannot refer to plural noun businesses

The correct sentence would be:

Peter's businesses are doing better than those of Jack.
- Demonsrative pronoun those will refer to plural noun businesses

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana details the various avatars of that, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 21:24
EducationAisle wrote:
sugand wrote:

that is one of the most versatile words in English grammar. It has 3 most prominent avatars:

i) As a relative pronoun, that relates to another noun preceding it in the sentence. Example: The car that is parked in the basement is mine.

ii) As a demonstrative pronoun, that stands for a person, place or thing that must be pointed to. Example: Peter's brother is taller than that of Jack.

iii) As a conjunction, that connects two clauses. Example: He said that he would work hard.

Based on which of the avatars the word that is used as, there are some key differences. One of the differences is: When used as a relative pronoun, that can refer to both singular and plural nouns. So, both the following are correct:

The car that is parked in the basement is mine.
– Relative pronoun that refers to singular noun car.

The cars that are parked in the basement are mine.
– Relative pronoun that refers to plural noun cars.

However, when used as a demonstrative pronoun, that can only refer to singular nouns. So, while the following are correct:

Peter's brother is taller than that of Jack.

Following is not correct (assuming Jack has multiple businesses):

Peter's businesses are doing better than that of Jack.
- Demonsrative pronoun that cannot refer to plural noun businesses

The correct sentence would be:

Peter's businesses are doing better than those of Jack.
- Demonsrative pronoun those will refer to plural noun businesses

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana details the various avatars of that, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.

In this question the noun modifier "that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses" touches the noun individual. However it is modifying emotional reactions . I am aware that an "of prepositional phrase" is an exception to the touch rule of noun modifiers.
So as per this question ,can i deduce that in general a "the touch rule of noun modifiers" have all prepositional phrases ( as in this question "in an individual ") an exception ?

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 04:04
dream21 wrote:
In this question the noun modifier "that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses" touches the noun individual. However it is modifying emotional reactions . I am aware that an "of prepositional phrase" is an exception to the touch rule of noun modifiers.
So as per this question ,can i deduce that in general a "the touch rule of noun modifiers" have all prepositional phrases ( as in this question "in an individual ") an exception ?

Hi! there would never be an instance when that, when used as a relative pronoun (as is the case here) refers to people (such as individual).

So, this cannot be considered an exception.

Thanks,
Ashish

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 17:50
However, I can´t understand yet why C. is worng.
Is it wrong only because of the missed comma?

Encourage cooperation! If this post was very useful, kudos are welcome ;)
"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect It's successful outcome" William James

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2015, 06:48
Maxirosario2012 wrote:
However, I can´t understand yet why C. is worng.
Is it wrong only because of the missed comma?

hi
C) creating, in turn, unconscious physiological responses
it changes the meaning..
the original sentence says
The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological response. here it is emotional rections that is producing physiological responses

The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual creating, in turn, unconscious physiological responses here the act of emotional reactions produced by lying is producing physiological responses

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 03:05
scheol79 wrote:

Could someone explain why the comma in A after "that" is correct? There is a rule, i belive before or after "that" there will never be a comma. Therefore it must be before "that" i guess. I trapped into it and chose B.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 03:29
reto wrote:
Could someone explain why the comma in A after "that" is correct? There is a rule, i belive before or after "that" there will never be a comma. Therefore it must be before "that" i guess. I trapped into it and chose B.

Believe it or not, the comma is not after that; the comma is before the phrase in turn. Basically the phrase in turn is just delimited by commas. in turn just acts as a non-essential here.

In such circumstances, you can expect to encounter a comma before that as well. An example that comes to my mind is this: http://gmatclub.com/forum/uninformed-about-students-experience-in-urban-classrooms-118464.html.

While this is not an official example, it illustrates the point because all five options have a comma before that. Again, in this sentence, such as standardized test scores is delimited by commas. So, the comma is actually not before that; the comma is after the non-essential phrase: such as standardized test scores.

Thanks,
Ashish

Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2016, 22:23
There is a 25% probability that answer choice "A" is correct on the GMAT. This is a logical sentence that lying produces "emotional reactions" which in turn produces the physiological responses. The position of "in turn" is different in the other answer choices which changes the meaning. Hence "A" is the answer.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce &nbs [#permalink] 26 Mar 2016, 22:23

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 46 posts ] 

The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produce

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap