Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 12:32 It is currently 13 May 2024, 12:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11681 [4]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11681 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: Official Guide 2018 Comparison Table PDF is HERE [#permalink]
Hi, I have my exam in Aug 2017 and not bought any official guide yet. Which one should I buy? 2018 or 2017 version?
Also, should I buy all 3 books or just 1 comprehensive one?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Quote:
Hi jyo806

Both of the recent versions of the main Official Guide (GMAT2018 and GMAT2017) are great sources for practice questions, but neither book was designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' to the GMAT. Since the 'new' material in the GMAT2017 has been out for over a year (while the 'new' material in the GMAT2018 has only been out for a few weeks), you'll likely find it easier to find discussions on questions (with explanations and strategy tips) from the GMAT 2017. If you're looking for additional practice content for just the Quant or just the Verbal, then the subject-specific books are reasonable sources for the price, but it's doubtful that you would necessarily "need" either.

1) How long have you studied so far?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks for your reply!
I have studied for 1 Week for GMAT now, approx 40 Hrs
Gmat exam is on 26th August 2017
Target Score is 760

I'm looking for practice and 2017 OG plus the updated list of questions should do right?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11681 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jyo806

I've sent you a PM with some questions/suggestions.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 220
Send PM
Thank you! Without disclosing particular questions is there something you could say in terms of wheather questions became harder/easier or different in any aspect?
When you wrote similar post a year ago for 2017/2016 comparison you mentioned that prompts became somewhat "wordier"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Onlyvictory,

I am generally against the idea of providing deep 'commentary' or analysis of the Official Guides - because I think that doing so is actually a dis-service to Test Takes who will work through those books. You can absolutely train for everything that you will face on the Official GMAT, but one of the 'skills' that you have to develop is the ability to 'shift gears' among the various subjects and handle any 'surprises' that come your way (the potential to see more of certain question types, lengthy questions, layered prompts, variations on rules/concepts that you know, etc.) without having any 'warning' about what's coming next. By extension, having too much information about any of the OGs (or any of the individual questions within those books) before you work through that material can actually hinder your improvement.

I highly recommend that each Test Taker purchase at least one of the recent main Official Guides - the relatively low cost for so much quality study material really cannot be beat. That having been said, any of those books represents just one piece of the training process, so working through a more structured Study Plan (that implements the material in the OG) is one of the 'keys' to maximizing your score on Test Day.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Good Afternoon from Spain,

How are you doing?

Thank you for your guide it´s been very helpful. Nevertheless, I would like to ask you a question regarding the preparation of the GMAT that I´m struggling with.

I am preparing for an exam that only tests the quantitative part of the exam (everything but tables and charts) plus a business case that´s not from the GMAT and I would like to know whether the Official Guide would be sufficient to practice for this or should I need to prepare with an specific guide with tricks and specific advise?

Thank you very much,

Lucas
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Lucas,

Have you seen any practice Exams that are similar to the Test that you are referring to? I ask because before you start studying with one of the OGs, we should make sure that all of that material is relevant to the Exam that you will be taking. In addition, will this Exam be an Adaptive Test taken on a computer or a pencil-and-paper Exam?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for your answer.

I have seen a type of exam and they only put quantitative questions from the GMAT meaning no language part or management case.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Lucas,

To make sure that GMAT practice materials would be appropriate for your studies, can you post a 'sample Test' of this Exam (or a link to one). I'd really have to see the Exam before I could tell you how relevant the Official Guide would be to your studies.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
hallo guys

i start to prepare for GMAT exam but i am totally lost could u plz give me the tips from where i should start

Note : am prepare it alone i mean self study
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11681 [1]
Send PM