Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:04 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [18]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
domotron wrote:
Also the deadline for R1 is 16th September

Nooo... a difference of 8 days from '12 deadline. In the wrong direction.

*opens calendar and starts to re-plan*
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.59
WE:Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Questions: I'm trying to decide which round to apply in? Historically is being accepted in round 1 easier than round 2?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
baseishome wrote:
Questions: I'm trying to decide which round to apply in? Historically is being accepted in round 1 easier than round 2?

The data from the 2013 thread suggests there is negligible difference between R1 and R2 with a slight edge to R1.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/harvard-2013-hbs-calling-all-applicants-134055.html

I think HBS is so competitive that you're better off applying when you feel absolutely ready rather than rushing an app in for R1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q162 V160
GPA: 3.96
WE:Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
baseishome wrote:

Apply in round 1...its better..the class is not yet formed...n if u have gud credentials...then u might be atleast called for an interview...(and thats a big deal...a big battle won!)..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Been lurking for 3 years, finally ready to put my hat in the ring for round 1 apps. Good luck everyone, will be keeping a close eye on this thread.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aalba005 wrote:
Been lurking for 3 years, finally ready to put my hat in the ring for round 1 apps. Good luck everyone, will be keeping a close eye on this thread.

I wish u all the best! and hope to see u next year there...i am also here from last three years ...never applied but will apply this year R1..:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
akhilright wrote:
aalba005 wrote:

I wish u all the best! and hope to see u next year there...i am also here from last three years ...never applied but will apply this year R1..:)

Thanks! I visited in March and sat in on 3 classes and really feel that it would be a great fit. Good luck to you as well, the summer will be flying by!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Is this thread also for 2+2 class of 2018?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Send PM
Ladies and gents, Dee has released the application for this year. Enormous change .. No compulsory essay!
https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/Pages/from-the-admissions-director.aspx

Quote:
Here’s what you will notice:

· This is the only “essay” question:

“You’re applying to Harvard Business School. We can see your resume, school transcripts, extra-curricular activities, awards, post-MBA career goals, test scores and what your recommenders have to say about you. What else would you like us to know as we consider your candidacy?”

That’s it. No word limit. Use your own judgment as to how much to tell us. We have neither a “right answer” nor a “correct length” in mind. We will review all the elements of the written application to decide who moves forward to the interview stage of our process.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
domotron wrote:
Ladies and gents, Dee has released the application for this year. Enormous change .. No compulsory essay!

Quote:

“You’re applying to Harvard Business School. We can see your resume, school transcripts, extra-curricular activities, awards, post-MBA career goals, test scores and what your recommenders have to say about you. What else would you like us to know as we consider your candidacy?”

That’s it. No word limit. Use your own judgment as to how much to tell us. We have neither a “right answer” nor a “correct length” in mind. We will review all the elements of the written application to decide who moves forward to the interview stage of our process.

Crazy... One essay, no word limit... It looks like HBS is really trying to do away with letting consultants play a part in the process. Good Luck everyone!

Edit:
Even more interesting
Quote:
Why the reduction in number of essays? Sorry to repeat myself but “it’s not an essay-writing contest”. There is always –and will always be - great variance in both subject matter and degree of polish in the essays of admitted candidates. Maybe there will be admits this year who say we don’t need to know anything else beyond the credentials they have already submitted – for them, the application may be “essay-less”. I also think that removing the word limit brings this process closer to the way things work in the Real World which is always our goal.

Hmmm... I wonder if there will be admits with apps that are "essay-less" Crazy...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
I actually like this a lot. I like the idea that it's my judgement call... at the same time, it's kinda scary especially with a no word limit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Did you guys see that recommenders are now required to answer two questions instead of four?

Recommendations must be completed online. The recommendation form includes the following questions, along with other types of questions.

How do the candidate's performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples. (300 words)
Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250 words)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Send PM
That's interesting, what i am missing here is how does the adcom know the post-MBA career goals (esp for career switchers). Is it inferred? presuming the candidate does not mention it in this essay question. I did not find any other section in the application requirements that conveys / helps convey this explicitly.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Send PM
sh00nya wrote:
That's interesting, what i am missing here is how does the adcom know the post-MBA career goals (esp for career switchers). Is it inferred? presuming the candidate does not mention it in this essay question. I did not find any other section in the application requirements that conveys / helps convey this explicitly.

It sounds like it will be part of the online application form.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
domotron wrote:

Quote:

That's why I love Harvard...A big challenge ahead guys lets face it.... Good luck to all R1 applicants !
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [2]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
Crazy change. It just screams 'we know who we want; don't waste your (and our) time'. Kind of sounds fair, to be honest.

prediction for next year: Submit your finger prints; we will figure out. Round 1 deadline to remain the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
sh00nya wrote:

For last year's application (for class of 2015) it was a VERY short question you fill out online (300 characters or something like that - essentially 2 sentences around "Why an MBA / Harvard").

From everything I've heard from Dee on this subject they really don't like the post-MBA career goal question. Their view is that it's such a hypothetical question it becomes useless. There's no way to know if you're being genuine or if you simply make up a really compelling story for your goals with no intention of actually doing that. They want to create a diverse and talented class that is prime to be successful - and for them the best predictor of future success is to look at why you've done the things you've done in your life.

Obviously it's up to you what to do with the essay but I would just warn to not make the emphasis of what you want to convey about future plans. If your future goals fit nicely with the story of who you are and where you're coming from it would probably fit quite organically. I didn't mention future goals in either of my essays last year and received an interview and only spent 2 minutes of the interview discussing future plans. Obviously they weren't interested in it for my application at least.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  55   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts