Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:07 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.84
WE:Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Yale Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
essaysnark wrote:
Appreciate the exchange! Gave us a chance to update our database too. Thanks - and have fun in New Haven! If you thought the first year was good, just wait - the second is over the top awesome. :-D

EssaySnark

Thanks! Looking forward to it!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
EssaySnark - you have to keep in mind that we can't actually compare the percentage of URMs in a class to the percentage in the US. Given that 32% of students are international, we actually need to break down the number outside of internationals.

This means there are 93 internationals in our class - leaving about 197 US domestic students. If you take the percentage as URMs in our class of the domestic students it's just below 15%. Also keep in mind that the majority of international students are non-white, so some 50% of students in an MBA program are "of color" (whether they identify that way or not, that's the label applied to them in others' minds). This may not be a URM number, but hey it means we white dudes are no longer the majority!

I would be curious to see whether Yale has trouble converting a certain ethnic subgroup.
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Send PM
Thanks machichi. Not agreeing with your logic and not comfortable with excuses for why any particular school doesn't have a higher representation of minorities on campus, but as already stated, also not interested in turning this into a debate. Let's all get back to the regularly scheduled programming of how to get in!

EssaySnark
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
And back to our regularly scheduled programming ... Any current applicants want to chime in on how your apps are coming along? Questions about life at SOM? Did machichi and I (and others) make the right choice? Ask away...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
aerien wrote:
And back to our regularly scheduled programming ... Any current applicants want to chime in on how your apps are coming along? Questions about life at SOM? Did machichi and I (and others) make the right choice? Ask away...

re applicant who was WLed in R3. 90% done with my essays - I am glad that Yale cut its essays down this year. makes re application a lot easier.

Why did the class size increased to 290 as opposed to planned 275?.... high yield? if that's true, then no WL movement makes sense.

How is consulting recruiting going to look like with this increased class size? Did career management address it during orientation? My only worry is that MBB or other top firms might not increase their quota of Yale students and getting offers is going to get harder.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:

I'm mostly in GMAT-study mode right now, but I've reviewed the Yale app and started brainstorming for my essays. So many thoughts! It's going to be hard for me to keep essay #1 to 300 words or less, but I get it, brevity is the soul of, etc. "Why Yale" is easy, too--I'm hoping to come in from the nonprofit sector, and I have (what I think is!) a very strong rationale for why an MBA, why Yale, and why now. But what would I bring to Yale SOM, exactly? Ugh. That... is tough. With my background, I'd be a nontraditional MBA admit, but with Yale's reputation as a nonprofit/social enterprise school, I can't imagine that I'll be especially unique.

Anyhoo. I also have my recommenders lined up, and I just got copies of my transcripts today. Baby steps, y'all.

Anyone here in NYC? I'll be going to the September 3 Forte Foundation Forum and making giant cow eyes at the Yale reps talking with intelligence and charm to all and sundry.

EDIT: I've decided to start blogging about my MBA journey, to keep myself on track and to write out my nerves. Feel free to read/follow because HIJINKS WILL ENSUE! https:\\www.mbasupplicant.blogspot.com

Originally posted by dudeascending on 20 Aug 2013, 01:58.
Last edited by aerien on 25 Aug 2013, 12:39, edited 3 times in total.
Posted Blog Link
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
How is orientation going? Have you been going out often? Or is it very academically focused already?

aerien wrote:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Orientation was exhausting, and is already over! We had our first day of classes yesterday. Fortunately our professors are all lively and interesting.

There's definitely been no shortage of going out. Though panic settled in when people realized we had homework due the first day...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
dudeascending wrote:
aerien wrote:

I'm mostly in GMAT-study mode right now, but I've reviewed the Yale app and started brainstorming for my essays. So many thoughts! It's going to be hard for me to keep essay #1 to 300 words or less, but I get it, brevity is the soul of, etc. "Why Yale" is easy, too--I'm hoping to come in from the nonprofit sector, and I have (what I think is!) a very strong rationale for why an MBA, why Yale, and why now. But what would I bring to Yale SOM, exactly? Ugh. That... is tough. With my background, I'd be a nontraditional MBA admit, but with Yale's reputation as a nonprofit/social enterprise school, I can't imagine that I'll be especially unique.

Anyhoo. I also have my recommenders lined up, and I just got copies of my transcripts today. Baby steps, y'all.

Anyone here in NYC? I'll be going to the September 3 Forte Foundation Forum and making giant cow eyes at the Yale reps talking with intelligence and charm to all and sundry.

EDIT: I've decided to start blogging about my MBA journey, to keep myself on track and to write out my nerves. Feel free to read/follow because HIJINKS WILL ENSUE!

EDIT2: Aw, snap, I don't have link-posting privileges yet. Ping me if you want the link, and I'll try reposting later on.

I am in for round two at Yale, was going to go for round one; however didn't want to rush the GMAT and decided I needed the extra few weeks. Are you going to visit or have you already?

Aerien, Machichi, anything that has surprised you both thus far? Any particular highlights?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PallMall wrote:
I am in for round two at Yale, was going to go for round one; however didn't want to rush the GMAT and decided I needed the extra few weeks. Are you going to visit or have you already?

Aerien, Machichi, anything that has surprised you both thus far? Any particular highlights?

I'm definitely planning on doing a campus visit, but I don't think dates have opened yet. I'd love to see the new building in person! I'm also from CT, though, and pretty familiar with the rest of the Yale campus.

@aerien, @machichi, were either of you referred into Math Camp, or did you test out? And did Yale end up rolling out those emotional intelligence tests during orientation? I'm pretty damn curious about that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Working towards R1. Was invited for interview last time and hoping to get through this year. Essays are much more crisp this year so that makes the job easier, although the video questions might be daunting.

Hoping I don't get a brainfreeze or tense up during the answers (Although I interview quite well, ironical statement to make, I know). Guess the camera adds more worries. Am jotting down a few type of questions that have been reported, please add so that we get a better idea on the type of questions that will come:

Yale Video Questions:
30 seconds to think, 90 seconds to respond

1. What will you bring to Yale?
2. How has technology changed our lives?
3. At your current job, how do you believe you are making a contribution to the society?
4. What would your colleagues and friends say are your strengths and weaknesses?
5. Please describe a creative solution that you have come up with for a problem.
6. With businesses becoming more global, does the importance of local culture decrease or increase?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Campus Visit Info is here!

General info: https://som.yale.edu/schedule-campus-visit
Schedule Your Visit: https://som.yale.edu/our-programs/full-t ... pus-visits

Campus visits are currently available from September 16 to the first week of December. Be sure to sign up soon since space is limited (and you'll notice that campus visits are not offered every single week due to vacations, exams, etc).

If you have the time and means to do so, please consider visiting campus. If you do it before you submit your application, you'll gain a better sense of the SOM community and if you can see yourself being here for the next two years of your lives -- needless to say, you'll also have all sorts of experiences to draw upon for your application essays/interviews. You'll also get to check out the brand new building, which is slated to open in January!

New building pictures here: https://som.yale.edu/our-approach/edward ... -hall-news
Enjoy :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
PallMall wrote:
I am in for round two at Yale, was going to go for round one; however didn't want to rush the GMAT and decided I needed the extra few weeks. Are you going to visit or have you already? Aerien, Machichi, anything that has surprised you both thus far? Any particular highlights?

Well - I've been surprised by how much bigger our class is than last year. We are at 290 and boy are we packed in tight. Fortunately the new building is right on schedule, looks amazing, and will be a lovely spacious new home for us.

Having a cocktail reception in the stock exchange was incredible. I can't believe we were really on the floor after hours and had the whole place to ourselves. It was such a rare treat. Something I expect will never happen again in my life!

dudeascending wrote:
@aerien, @machichi, were either of you referred into Math Camp, or did you test out? And did Yale end up rolling out those emotional intelligence tests during orientation? I'm pretty damn curious about that.

Math camp is offered to students - no one "tests out" per se, though they may use the GMAT as one indicator of whether you would be a good candidate for math camp. Bottom line though is that it's not really worth your time thinking about right now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hey everyone,
FWI - campus visit registration is now open on the website.

Question to current students:
What should I wear in my campus visit?
I'm not coming to interview and I think a suit will be pushing it too hard.
Do you think Business Casual - Dress Shirt w/out a tie will be enough?
Director
Director
Send PM
dormor wrote:
Hey everyone,
FWI - campus visit registration is now open on the website.

You can do business casual, but most of the students will be in a suit & tie, so you don't want to look under dressed in front of them.
Director
Director
Send PM
Any re applicants who have requested and gotten feedback this summer?
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
hailmary wrote:
dormor wrote:

You can do business casual, but most of the students will be in a suit & tie, so you don't want to look under dressed in front of them.
Students are typically in suits for on-campus recruiting only, and not everyone is interviewing at once, so suits aren't the norm in most places. Many bschool students aren't even in business casual most days; things can get a little sloppy at times, in fact (think flipflops; you remember your college days, don't you?).

That being said, for East Coast schools, you may want to dress it up a bit for a campus visit, even if you're not going to interview. Unless the school specifically says business casual is OK (some of them do on their campus visit pages) guys should at least wear a jacket, and bring a tie in case you need it.

How to "do" a school visit
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts