Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:52 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Just submitted my application! Video essay was waived off for me as well!

Good luck everyone!

Kellogg is my top choice. I have been dreaming of getting into Kellogg from quite some time. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
I tried video essay today, I was able to complete test essay but I ran into trouble with the 1st video essay. After few times I tried reinstalling flash player but that didn't help. Finally I had to use the video essay waiver form. I haven't received any confirmation email but when I clicked on the video essay waiver again it showed my previous recorded waiver.
I am not sure how my application will be evaluated when compared to applications with video essay, although admission team says that without video essay your application is not at disadvantage.
Only the time will tell. Hoping for the best.

I got my 1 LOR submitted couple of hours back after few follow ups. For 2nd LOR, my manager has assured me that he will submit it by 8 PM PST. Keeping my fingers crossed. :shock:

I have asked for off-campus interview. It is mentioned that some people will get interview waiver as well without being at disadvantage. I don't understand how the application will be evaluated.
Any suggestions on this?

Please share your experiences.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
I'm submitted as well. I had no problems with the video, but man I didn't like any of the questions I got.

Also, I wish that I had gotten a chance to confirm that I wanted to submit. After I finished my video, I hit a "submit" button, which I thought meant I was submitting the video, but I actually submitted the application. Good thing I proofread before, but I wish I had gotten a chance to do a final read. Oh well.

fingers crossed for everyone.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
If there are half of the applicants that could not complete the Video essays, I would say it might not make much sense to use it to differentiate applicants. Also it is just one data point out of so many other attributes. It is unlikely to sway a decision drastically. I would believe Kellogg when they say it would not negatively impact though. Remember that the interviews would give them a good sense as well as unlike most other schools they do it for all candidates.

Now that we have submitted our application, we should just chill :-).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (II)
Send PM
essen1976 wrote:
I was not able to complete my Video Essay properly as the connection closed for each of the questions while the video was uploading. Just got feedback from the school that this has been a problem for many applicants and they have waived this part for all of them and there would be no negative impact.

Hi

Waiving a part would mean the Adcom won't evaluate you on it. If you waive the video interview, with or without the technical issues:

The worst case- you lose out on a chance to impress. If you think you can pull it off, it might be a loss.

The best case- if you think you can really mess up, it is better to have got it waived.

So depending upon how you look at it, you stand to GAIN or LOSE from the waiver. You lose a chance to impress or save yourself by not messing up. :)

Disclaimer: This is my OPINION only
Manager
Manager
Send PM
xinga wrote:
essen1976 wrote:
I was not able to complete my Video Essay properly as the connection closed for each of the questions while the video was uploading. Just got feedback from the school that this has been a problem for many applicants and they have waived this part for all of them and there would be no negative impact.

Hi

Waiving a part would mean the Adcom won't evaluate you on it. If you waive the video interview, with or without the technical issues:

The worst case- you lose out on a chance to impress. If you think you can pull it off, it might be a loss.

The best case- if you think you can really mess up, it is better to have got it waived.

So depending upon how you look at it, you stand to GAIN or LOSE from the waiver. You lose a chance to impress or save yourself by not messing up. :)

Disclaimer: This is my OPINION only

While I agree with you that doing the video would be a great way to impress (and it is such a dampener that it did not upload when you thought you had done well), I do not agree that students will be using the waiver just for the sake of it. It sounds somewhat unethical to be honest and if the school has a mechanism to figure out from the video session that an applicant went through on the application site, there is every chance that they may be caught. I doubt students will take that risk and in any case not being honest itself is a sound ground for rejection. Therefore if they do so, they do it at their own peril.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (II)
Send PM
essen1976 wrote:
While I agree with you that doing the video would be a great way to impress (and it is such a dampener that it did not upload when you thought you had done well), I do not agree that students will be using the waiver just for the sake of it. It sounds somewhat unethical to be honest and if the school has a mechanism to figure out from the video session that an applicant went through on the application site, there is every chance that they may be caught. I doubt students will take that risk and in any case not being honest itself is a sound ground for rejection. Therefore if they do so, they do it at their own peril.

Agreed. Ethical or not is another point, and surely if there is a way to find out, it should be used.

My point was only on the eventuality- the impact whether you attempted or not.

If you attempted- great chance to impress or really mess up

If you did not- your application is evaluated solely on other sections

So waiving it doesn't help you, nor does it not help you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Application submitted :) I am in for R1!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Realized I didn't include internship information into my application. Anyway, it's not like I had stellar internships ;)
VP
VP
Send PM
deviantg wrote:
Realized I didn't include internship information into my application. Anyway, it's not like I had stellar internships ;)

I didn't see space to do so. Did anyone else include them?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Submitted sir!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
deviantg wrote:

there's a section that talks about work experience during college...
VP
VP
Send PM
giusippe wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
deviantg wrote:

there's a section that talks about work experience during college...

Yes there is. And as I pointed out in my earlier post, it didn't look like the place to enter internship experience. It read more like a place to enter stuff if you were working while studying.

Anyhow, I'm glad I put it on my resume.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
https://poetsandquants.com/2013/10/17/kellogg-hits-snag-in-new-video-adcom-test/

P&Q reporting 8% of applicants have encountered issues with the video portion of the application.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
domotron wrote:
https://poetsandquants.com/2013/10/17/kellogg-hits-snag-in-new-video-adcom-test/

P&Q reporting 8% of applicants have encountered issues with the video portion of the application.

i like that P&Q is getting bigger, but the amount of stuff they post/write on these days just for the sake of putting stuff up is comical...this stat/explanation could've been a 140 character tweet.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
deviantg wrote:

I spoke to the adcom on the phone and he suggested that I add my part-time internships to the "Employer" section, and just estimate and/or leave blank the income and other fields that aren't really important for evaluation of your success at these internships.

However, I decided not to include them in my application components but only to include them on the resume.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM

Originally posted by chessmaster1 on 17 Oct 2013, 10:07.
Last edited by chessmaster1 on 01 Dec 2013, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  85   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts