Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
Expert Reply
excelsior88 wrote:
Hi Aringo

I am planning to apply to Cornell - Johnson and INSEAD.

Following are my information:
Nationality: Vietnamese
GMAT: 700 (Q - 51, V - 33, IR - 8, AWA - awaiting)
(I did quite well on Quant with extra time at the end, but really poorly at Verbal, probably because of getting distracted)

Degree at National University of Singapore
Major: Information Systems
GPA: 3.96/5 (~3.19/4)

Work Experience: 3,5 years
Company: IBM (Singapore)
Position: Consultant
Industry: Technology (SAP)

I have been in two SAP projects, in which my team provided SAP System (an Enterprise Resource Planning system) service for Human Resources Department of two largest clusters of government hospitals in Singapore.

IBM Services Excellence Award
Certificates of Appreciation awarded by a client company

School CCAs:
- English Speaking Contest (Mar 09)
Team Leader - First Runner-up

- A small university volunteer group - IT Director, Vice President

----------------------------------
Please advise how competitive my profile is regarding those 2 schools.
I only target 1 year programs so I choose these schools.

Also I have a few questions:
1. If my profile is not strong enough and now is round 3 for both schools, should I wait for another year to strengthen it?
2. If I decide to apply for round 3 for both schools and got rejected, would it be a disadvantage when I re-apply next year?
3. Please advise if you think there are any other good schools in my range

Thank you very much & Happy new year!

Hi! Regarding Cornell, your GMAT is fine - just a touch above average. Your GPA is also above average for the school, which is good. You seem to be adding value to the organizations you are part of, which is good. Your profile doesn't include other volunteer/extracurricular activities, so I can't comment on that. A social orientation is important for Johnson, so you would want to try and show that. Your work experience is for a well-known global firm, so that's great. You will want to try and distinguish yourself in your essays and recommendations, and to show as much leadership and strong teamwork as you can. As well, if you can highlight any initiatives you have had, within the workplace or outside of it, that will work in your favor.

Regarding INSEAD, many of the same comments apply. You are a bit on the young side, with less work experience than many who will be applying. You will want to highlight your international experience and your goals in international business, to show your fit and the school's fit to your goals. You will want to show a very broad range of personal interests, and try to distinguish yourself.

In general Round 3 is more difficult than the first two rounds for both schools - more competition and fewer places available.

INSEAD discourages reapplication unless there has been a significant development professionally or personally, so you might be better off waiting to apply for the next intake. They have a January intake, so you don't have to wait an entire year. Johnson is probably a bit more welcoming of reapplicants.

There are plenty of other good schools in your range - I suggest you take a look at our free chances calculator (link below my name) and then see which schools are within your competitive range.

All the best,

Joy
Senior Application Consultant
Aringo.com

Free, detailed MBA chances calculator
Admission tips and scholarship info per school
Plan your application content (free online tool)
Get an initial assessment

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Hi Joy,
Could you please share your views that after submitting the application, is it good/recommended to reach out to some of the current students whom one has earlier contacted to get to know the program better? I mean just to let 'em know that application is submitted... And will it be of any help as far as one's candidacy is concerned, if one asks 'em whether they think they can put in a good word for him/her at the admissions office?

Does it really make any sense?
HBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.02
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi, I'm wondering if I can get a quick evaluation on my chances at the University of Florida.

Undergrad: Marketing & Supply Chain Management (3.02 GPA)

Work Experience: 36 months upon matriculation. Started at my company in 2011 as a lab technician. I was promoted to Production Manager within 3 months. I spent over a year as Production Manager until last year when I was promoted to Vice President of Operations. During that time, I also started my own real estate investment firm, which I have owned/operated successfully since September 2012.

GMAT: 650 on my first attempt. I am confident that I can get to 700, as all of my practice GMATs have yielded scores in excess of 680.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Gil,

I'd request for my profile evaluation and your advice. My profile details:

Nationality: Indian

Education:
- Bachelors in Science (Mathematics) - Mumbai University (May 2004)
- GPA: 2.7
- GMAT: 570 Q42, V25. Will be retaking in Apr' 14.
- Business Management Program from IIM Indore (one of Top 10 Indian Business Schools) - Jan to Jun' 10

Work Experience: More than 10 years of WE
- Consultant (Physical Security) at M&M Corporate Risk (July 2010 - Present). Executed Projects for Fortune 500 companies and the Best Organisations in India.
- Commissioned Officer in the Army (April 2004 - March 2010). The entire tenure was spread over inhospitable terrain and extreme weather conditions. Handled a team of 150 troops and maintained op readiness.
- Associate (Sales) at Domestic BPO (June 2002 - September 2003). Mentored a sales team of 10 people.

Extracurricular:
- Recruitment drives and rallies for encouraging the youth to join the defence forces.
- Safety & Self defence training sessions for women
- Guest speaker for risk & security training sessions

Schools:
1. Darden Business School
2. Duke University (Fuqua)
3. Rotman (Univ of Toronto)
4. Dartmouth College (Tuck)
5. NYU (Stern)
6. Cornell (Johnson)
7. Schulich (Toronto)

After MBA I want make a career into Management Consulting (Strategy). I'm looking to apply for Fall 2015. What do you think are my chances at the schools I've listed?

Request you to suggest few schools with present GMAT score.

Thanks in advance !
Send PM
Expert Reply
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Joy,
Could you please share your views that after submitting the application, is it good/recommended to reach out to some of the current students whom one has earlier contacted to get to know the program better? I mean just to let 'em know that application is submitted... And will it be of any help as far as one's candidacy is concerned, if one asks 'em whether they think they can put in a good word for him/her at the admissions office?

Does it really make any sense?

Hi, absolutely - it's definitely recommended. You can let them know and thank them for their assistance along the way. If you feel comfortable enough, you can certainly ask them to put in a good word. One way is for them to write an unofficial email to the person at Admissions responsible for your region. Just a few lines about how impressed they were with you, feel you are a great fit for the school, etc.

All the best,

Joy
Aringo.com

Send PM
Expert Reply
nimsfasaite wrote:
Hi Gil,

I'd request for my profile evaluation and your advice. My profile details:

Nationality: Indian

Education:
- Bachelors in Science (Mathematics) - Mumbai University (May 2004)
- GPA: 2.7
- GMAT: 570 Q42, V25. Will be retaking in Apr' 14.
- Business Management Program from IIM Indore (one of Top 10 Indian Business Schools) - Jan to Jun' 10

Work Experience: More than 10 years of WE
- Consultant (Physical Security) at M&M Corporate Risk (July 2010 - Present). Executed Projects for Fortune 500 companies and the Best Organisations in India.
- Commissioned Officer in the Army (April 2004 - March 2010). The entire tenure was spread over inhospitable terrain and extreme weather conditions. Handled a team of 150 troops and maintained op readiness.
- Associate (Sales) at Domestic BPO (June 2002 - September 2003). Mentored a sales team of 10 people.

Extracurricular:
- Recruitment drives and rallies for encouraging the youth to join the defence forces.
- Safety & Self defence training sessions for women
- Guest speaker for risk & security training sessions

Schools:
1. Darden Business School
2. Duke University (Fuqua)
3. Rotman (Univ of Toronto)
4. Dartmouth College (Tuck)
5. NYU (Stern)
6. Cornell (Johnson)
7. Schulich (Toronto)

After MBA I want make a career into Management Consulting (Strategy). I'm looking to apply for Fall 2015. What do you think are my chances at the schools I've listed?

Request you to suggest few schools with present GMAT score.

Thanks in advance !

Hi, you have some great work experience with lots of leadership, that's definitely working for you. Your extra curricular activity looks good too - and quite interesting.
OTOH - you have a few major things working against you. One is the GMAT score, which is low for ALL of the schools you have mentioned. Some of them say that the total range of scores begins at the low end of 560/570. But who is that person? In my experience, it's someone with a truly extraordinary profile - someone famous, or perhaps from a well known family - or who has accomplishments like having already established a company and exited for a few million dollars. So work on your GMAT - especially because your GPA was fairly low, and also presents a problem.

The third issue is your age. By the time you will be starting your MBA, you'll be 35, which is quite old for an MBA. You'll be in class with students 10 years younger, with half or less than half your work experience. You might consider going for an EMBA, and I would suggest you check out those programs as well.

So first thing, raise your GMAT score. Second, look at EMBA programs.

Good luck!!

Joy
Aringo.com

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks a lot Joy for the feedback.

I'm surely going to retake the GMAT and also look at EMBA options.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hello,
Male
Country India
My Gmat 540 Q40, V24
Btech in Chemical Engineering with GPA 3.5 - Vellore Institute Of Technology
2 Years of Experience in Metal Industry( 2010 to 2012)
Started My own Business in 2012
Associated with a local NGO since 2012
Planning to retake my exam in feb
Can you please suggest me business schools Full Time MBA.

Thank you,
Himanshu Mehta
Send PM
Expert Reply
My Gmat 540 Q40, V24
Btech in Chemical Engineering with GPA 3.5 - Vellore Institute Of Technology
2 Years of Experience in Metal Industry( 2010 to 2012)
Started My own Business in 2012
Associated with a local NGO since 2012
Planning to retake my exam in feb
Can you please suggest me business schools Full Time MBA.

Thank you,
Himanshu Mehta[/quote]

Hi There!
Until you retake your GMAT, I haven't too many schools to suggest. If you are able to up your score to around 650, you might be a competitive candidate at 2nd tier schools like Emory, Georgetown, Babson or USC… Without more details about your profile, I can't be any more specific.

Good luck with the exam!!

Joy

Aringo.com

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Aringo: would love your profile evaluation.

GMAT 710
Canadian uni, undergrad in business
GPA 3.84
MBB 2 years at round 2 application, 2.5 at start of MBA
previous internship experience in investment banking, corp strategy, startups
Board member at non profit
Founder of a program educating high school students on certain business disciplines (won't disclose specifics - 10 high schools involved)
case comp, club President, etc for uni extracurricular

I am going to apply for hbs, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, and Booth. What do you think?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi Joy,

I was wondering if you had the free time, could you share your opinions and thoughts about a "mini ding report"?

Like you previously mentioned, I too thought I had a pretty strong profile for schools like Duke but today, I was informed that I was not invited to interview (which I think is like a soft ding)

I also specifically applied to Duke's MBA/MEM program, did that hurt my chances? I actually thought that could have helped.

Please let me know if you would like any additional information and thanks for all your help,
Daniel

Aringo wrote:
overmind1632 wrote:
I would sincerely appreciate an honest critique of my current profile and targeted schools/programs. Thank you very much.

US Male, American Born Chinese
Age 25
Undergrad: Topish Liberal Arts School (Colgate, Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette etc...)
Major: BS Biology BA Economics
GPA: 3.4 Overall, 3.5 Biology, 3.8 Economics
GMAT: First Score 690 (47 Quant, 38 Verbal) Second Score 660 (50 Quant, 29 Verbal) 6.0 AWA both times, 8 IR first time, 5 IR second time
Work Experience- 2-3 years- Investment Banking Internship at Middle Market Firm, Analyst at SK-China Real Estate (Property acquisition and management), Portfolio Management Analyst at MetLife China
Leadership Roles in College and NPO
Work Experience in both USA and China
Learned how to read and write Chinese in just a year (Goal was to be able to read a Chinese newspaper within a year) and lived in China for 2 years, Did not previously know Chinese even though I am a Chinese Born American
Personally invests in both US and Chinese Stock Markets

Goals: To get a solid financial education given my science background and work in areas like Healthcare or Cleantech IB/PE (Like I did during my banking internship) but with China, Chinese financial opportunities (Capital raising, project/deal sourcing, etc....), work at a managerial level for a Clean tech/Waste management firm, or any new possible areas I may find interesting during the course of my MBA education.

Targeted Programs: Wharton Chinese Lauder Program, UC Berkeley MBA+Masters Public Health Mgmt or MBA+Master International Relations, Duke MBA+Master of Eniv Mgmt, Columbia, NYU Stern, and Dartmouth (The latter 3 are just full time MBA programs)

Hi, thanks for writing in! I like your profile - solid undergrad, especially considering the double major, and I like the fact that your two fields were chosen wisely and will come together in your future career. You might consider retaking your GMAT, to make yourself more competitive at the first-tier schools you are aiming for, like Wharton and Columbia - Dartmouth as well. I don't know much about the specialty programs you have mentioned, although I believe that for Berkeley, and possibly the others, you are actually a stronger candidate if you apply to the dual program, than if you apply to just the regular MBA, so that's great.

The fact that you have leadership experience from your extracurric's is terrific - you get double the points there, and it nicely rounds out your profile. And your international experience is also a great asset. With solid essays and strong recommendations, I think you have a good chance to make yourself stand out. If you want to look specifically at how you measure up to different schools, try the free calculator below.

All the best,

Joy
Aringo.com

Send PM
Expert Reply
BillionCoins wrote:
Hello Aringo: would love your profile evaluation.

GMAT 710
Canadian uni, undergrad in business
GPA 3.84
MBB 2 years at round 2 application, 2.5 at start of MBA
previous internship experience in investment banking, corp strategy, startups
Board member at non profit
Founder of a program educating high school students on certain business disciplines (won't disclose specifics - 10 high schools involved)
case comp, club President, etc for uni extracurricular

I am going to apply for hbs, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, and Booth. What do you think?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi, from these highlights, your profile looks good. You'll be up against people with higher GMATs, so you must really show yourself to be exceptional in other ways, through your essays and recommendations. I also suggest you do intensive research to show your 'fit' for each of the schools you'll be applying to. One size all won't cut it.

You haven't mentioned your goals, but make sure they are clear, well thought out, solid, reasonable, and that you can speak about them with passion.

Good luck!

Joy
Aringo.com

Send PM
Expert Reply
overmind1632 wrote:
Hi Joy,

I was wondering if you had the free time, could you share your opinions and thoughts about a "mini ding report"?

Like you previously mentioned, I too thought I had a pretty strong profile for schools like Duke but today, I was informed that I was not invited to interview (which I think is like a soft ding)

I also specifically applied to Duke's MBA/MEM program, did that hurt my chances? I actually thought that could have helped.

Please let me know if you would like any additional information and thanks for all your help,
Daniel

Aringo wrote:
overmind1632 wrote:
I would sincerely appreciate an honest critique of my current profile and targeted schools/programs. Thank you very much.

US Male, American Born Chinese
Age 25
Undergrad: Topish Liberal Arts School (Colgate, Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette etc...)
Major: BS Biology BA Economics
GPA: 3.4 Overall, 3.5 Biology, 3.8 Economics
GMAT: First Score 690 (47 Quant, 38 Verbal) Second Score 660 (50 Quant, 29 Verbal) 6.0 AWA both times, 8 IR first time, 5 IR second time
Work Experience- 2-3 years- Investment Banking Internship at Middle Market Firm, Analyst at SK-China Real Estate (Property acquisition and management), Portfolio Management Analyst at MetLife China
Leadership Roles in College and NPO
Work Experience in both USA and China
Learned how to read and write Chinese in just a year (Goal was to be able to read a Chinese newspaper within a year) and lived in China for 2 years, Did not previously know Chinese even though I am a Chinese Born American
Personally invests in both US and Chinese Stock Markets

Goals: To get a solid financial education given my science background and work in areas like Healthcare or Cleantech IB/PE (Like I did during my banking internship) but with China, Chinese financial opportunities (Capital raising, project/deal sourcing, etc....), work at a managerial level for a Clean tech/Waste management firm, or any new possible areas I may find interesting during the course of my MBA education.

Targeted Programs: Wharton Chinese Lauder Program, UC Berkeley MBA+Masters Public Health Mgmt or MBA+Master International Relations, Duke MBA+Master of Eniv Mgmt, Columbia, NYU Stern, and Dartmouth (The latter 3 are just full time MBA programs)

Hi Daniel,

I'm sorry to hear you weren't invited for an interview. I know it was disappointing. Your profile looks fine; did you have anyone review your essays/recommendations? It might behoove you to get a full analysis of the package you sent, if you are planning to apply to other schools. There might be something in there that's stopping you, and it's not something we'd know about just looking at your profile.

One thing I see is that the way you describe your goals above is not very 'sure' - there are a lot of maybes in it, and that alone might have gotten you dinged.

I suggest contacting Aringo, and seeing about having a review - it takes between 1-2 hours for the consultant to review, and could give you some valuable feedback to take to the next round of applications.

All the best,

Joy
Aringo.com

Hi, thanks for writing in! I like your profile - solid undergrad, especially considering the double major, and I like the fact that your two fields were chosen wisely and will come together in your future career. You might consider retaking your GMAT, to make yourself more competitive at the first-tier schools you are aiming for, like Wharton and Columbia - Dartmouth as well. I don't know much about the specialty programs you have mentioned, although I believe that for Berkeley, and possibly the others, you are actually a stronger candidate if you apply to the dual program, than if you apply to just the regular MBA, so that's great.

The fact that you have leadership experience from your extracurric's is terrific - you get double the points there, and it nicely rounds out your profile. And your international experience is also a great asset. With solid essays and strong recommendations, I think you have a good chance to make yourself stand out. If you want to look specifically at how you measure up to different schools, try the free calculator below.

All the best,

Joy
Aringo.com

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Aringo, Kindly evaluate my profile. I am 26/Male/Indian

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?

June 2010 - Oct 2011
Started my career in Software Testing - Accenture
Worked as an ASE(Associate Software Engineer)- Functional Tester at Accenture for a Canadian Telecom client.

Oct 2011- Present
Working as Manager-Marketing and Sales at our startup company, founded by my elder brother
We became Authorized Channel Partner of Eaton Corporation in early 2012.
Our focus is UPS Systems for Industry and IT.
I've greatly improved the leads generation process, added good clients and found some sources for getting
regular business.As it's a startup, I get involved in a variety of roles.

We got Eaton Excellence Award in the Emerging Partner Category (Sep 2013)

Total 6 employees ; 2 salespersons report to me

2) Your GMAT : 710 (80 + percentile in both quant and verbal) , AWA : 5.0 , IR : 4

3) College info: B.Tech (Computer Sc. Engg. from GGSIPU- a government univ. in Delhi,India ) : 71.8%

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities :

-As a 9th standard school kid, I was a scribe for a blind gentleman
-I won the title of Mr. Fresher in college (2006)- Here, I also led a team of six for an impromptu skit
- Worked weekends to enroll out of school children in public schools
-Public speaking program : We visit schools on Saturday mornings and conduct classes on Public Speaking

Hobbies
I enjoy performing musical whistling to karaoke music

5) Target programs : I was rejected this year by ISB,Cornell,Duke and Kenan Flagler. I understand that the

competition is intense and my nationality/GMAT doesn't help much.Please evaluate my profile and suggest me

some decent US B-schools where I might have a pretty good chance of getting admitted next year.

7) Career Goals : Want to work 5-6 years after MBA in Marketing/Consulting role preferably in Manufacturing or Hi Tech. Finally,want to re-join our business.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Paul25 wrote:
Hi Aringo, Kindly evaluate my profile. I am 26/Male/Indian

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?

June 2010 - Oct 2011
Started my career in Software Testing - Accenture
Worked as an ASE(Associate Software Engineer)- Functional Tester at Accenture for a Canadian Telecom client.

Oct 2011- Present
Working as Manager-Marketing and Sales at our startup company, founded by my elder brother
We became Authorized Channel Partner of Eaton Corporation in early 2012.
Our focus is UPS Systems for Industry and IT.
I've greatly improved the leads generation process, added good clients and found some sources for getting
regular business.As it's a startup, I get involved in a variety of roles.

We got Eaton Excellence Award in the Emerging Partner Category (Sep 2013)

Total 6 employees ; 2 salespersons report to me

2) Your GMAT : 710 (80 + percentile in both quant and verbal) , AWA : 5.0 , IR : 4

3) College info: B.Tech (Computer Sc. Engg. from GGSIPU- a government univ. in Delhi,India ) : 71.8%

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities :

-As a 9th standard school kid, I was a scribe for a blind gentleman
-I won the title of Mr. Fresher in college (2006)- Here, I also led a team of six for an impromptu skit
- Worked weekends to enroll out of school children in public schools
-Public speaking program : We visit schools on Saturday mornings and conduct classes on Public Speaking

Hobbies
I enjoy performing musical whistling to karaoke music

5) Target programs : I was rejected this year by ISB,Cornell,Duke and Kenan Flagler. I understand that the

competition is intense and my nationality/GMAT doesn't help much.Please evaluate my profile and suggest me

some decent US B-schools where I might have a pretty good chance of getting admitted next year.

7) Career Goals : Want to work 5-6 years after MBA in Marketing/Consulting role preferably in Manufacturing or Hi Tech. Finally,want to re-join our business.

Hi, there are a number of top 20-25 schools you can try. You might want to focus on schools that emphasize marketing/entrepreneurship. U Texas (McCombs), Indiana (Kelley), Emory, Babson. However, I'm a bit surprised you were not accepted to Kenan Flagler. Before applying, consider investing in having a professional consultant review one or more of the packages you sent out this year, to see if there's something problematic in how you are presenting yourself. Whether you ask Aringo or someone else, I've seen too many applications that failed because a perfectly good applicant made unnecessary mistakes in their choice of essay topic, how they explained their career goals, how they described their achievements, etc...

Good luck!!!

Joy
Aringo.com

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.1
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hi Joy, can you help me assess my profile? Thanks!

Profile: 28 years old male from Santiago, Chile, single, no kids.

Education: two (separate) Bachellor degrees, one in Journalism/Communications in 2010 (from the best school in Chile, Universidad Católica) and another one (executive) of Business Administration from U. Gabriela Mistral 2013 (mid tier private school in Chile). 3.07 and 3.7 GPA respectively, must mention that I was working during both studies. My thesis in Journalism was about the struggle for an hydroelectric plant in a river near Santiago (Proyecto Alto Maipo), my Business Administration thesis was a Business Plan of a restaurant "breakfast-food based" chain.

GMAT: Haven't taken it yet, I aim for +720 at least

WE: 5 years I was in charge of the operations in Chile of a small sports information and statistics analysis called Real Time Sportscast from Singapore. I had a team of +30 college English speaking local students from all over the Country who had to make livefeed data reports to a call center in Singapore. (I worked for this company while studying Journalism). I also forecasted the results of football matches from Chile both from a statistical and information point of view. I reported to the head of CMs in Singapore and had to be in constant contact with the Singapore call center. Lots of work during weekends and free hours (that is why both my GPA and extracurriculars are rather weak)...

2.5 years as s Product Manager for a small local import FCMG company. I was in charge of the Liquors line of business, which accounted for a 6 MM USD anual revenue for niche international liquors brands, ranging from a 3 USD canned beer brand to a 5,000 USD 100 years old cognac.

I total I was responsible for more than 40 brands. I had great international exposure as I reported to over 10 different export managers from different companies and atttended conferences with my latin american peers from different markets in France (Cognac), Spain (Jerez de la Frontera) and Scotland (Glasgow). Had a 14 sales / trade marketing team reporting to me. I was in charge of whole Marketing and Sales strategy for all brands.

I haven't had any promotions as this is not possible, but I have had significant accomplishments, specially in brand building, for eg taking a sparkling wine brand sales from 50 cases a year to 15.000 in two years and starting four single scottish whisky brands from zero to a 1 MM USD revenue in 2013.

While I was working I also earned my second Bachellors Degree in Business Administration, classes from 19 to 22 PM from monday to friday (8-14 on saturdays) for two years. (Hence the small Comm. service, as you'll see later, during 2011 - 2013)

Community Service / others: Went to community services and voluntary work in rural locations during summer breaks in different chilean rural towns building and reparing houses (mostly during early college years)... I also was part (during school) of CVX (catholic movement).
I have intrests in Photography, hiking (went to hike a 4.000 mts mountain this summer) travels (haven't been able to travel as much as I wanted, apart from work travels I have been in South America, USA, Ecuador and Galápagos), Sports: Skiing, Tenis, Football (scocer), Basketball, etc. I like to practice and also follow sports a lot. I play bass guitar, I was part of a thrash Metal group. Music is a very important part of my life, with tastes ranging from Opera to Death Metal. I also like gardening and painting on my free time.

I have never been active in politics, a couple of months ago I joined the Red Liberal movement, a small center-oriented political group.

Possible letters of recommendation: As said, from the CEO of my company (also Wharton Alumni), Commercial Directors or Export Managers of the brands we represented, wouldn't be too far fetched I am very aware they value my business and marketing capabilities a lot.

Intake: September '15

Career goals (short term): start a career on Management Consulting / Strategy / General Management (in Chile or abroad)
Carrer goals (mid term): start my own imports FCMG company in Chile
Career goals (long term): start an excellence driven high school for low income chilean children in order to tackle poverty, inequality, provide opportunities but also improve the human capital in Chile

Schools targeted:

First tier (assuming a +730 GMAT score): INSEAD, Kellogg, Chicago, Tuck, Wharton (The owner and CEO of my Company is Alumni and currently he is the head of the Chile Alumni and he could write a rec for me) LBS... Am I too far fetched?
Second tier I target Duke, Ross, Darden and Yale (I believe I would be a strong fit for this last program... I have a deep pasion for history, political science, world politics and global events so maybe there is a chance there?)

Self aware (?) weak points: Low GPA, no significant leadership roles in School / College, small and outdated comm service, only significant WE in a small / unknown company, no WE in a well known multinational company (I am currently looking for a Job either in Sales / Marketing in a blue chip to override this).

Thank you very much for your thoughts!

All the best
Chileanunderdog
Send PM
Expert Reply
ChileanUnderdog wrote:
Hi Joy, can you help me assess my profile? Thanks!

Profile: 28 years old male from Santiago, Chile, single, no kids.

Education: two (separate) Bachellor degrees, one in Journalism/Communications in 2010 (from the best school in Chile, Universidad Católica) and another one (executive) of Business Administration from U. Gabriela Mistral 2013 (mid tier private school in Chile). 3.07 and 3.7 GPA respectively, must mention that I was working during both studies. My thesis in Journalism was about the struggle for an hydroelectric plant in a river near Santiago (Proyecto Alto Maipo), my Business Administration thesis was a Business Plan of a restaurant "breakfast-food based" chain.

GMAT: Haven't taken it yet, I aim for +720 at least

WE: 5 years I was in charge of the operations in Chile of a small sports information and statistics analysis called Real Time Sportscast from Singapore. I had a team of +30 college English speaking local students from all over the Country who had to make livefeed data reports to a call center in Singapore. (I worked for this company while studying Journalism). I also forecasted the results of football matches from Chile both from a statistical and information point of view. I reported to the head of CMs in Singapore and had to be in constant contact with the Singapore call center. Lots of work during weekends and free hours (that is why both my GPA and extracurriculars are rather weak)...

2.5 years as s Product Manager for a small local import FCMG company. I was in charge of the Liquors line of business, which accounted for a 6 MM USD anual revenue for niche international liquors brands, ranging from a 3 USD canned beer brand to a 5,000 USD 100 years old cognac.

I total I was responsible for more than 40 brands. I had great international exposure as I reported to over 10 different export managers from different companies and atttended conferences with my latin american peers from different markets in France (Cognac), Spain (Jerez de la Frontera) and Scotland (Glasgow). Had a 14 sales / trade marketing team reporting to me. I was in charge of whole Marketing and Sales strategy for all brands.

I haven't had any promotions as this is not possible, but I have had significant accomplishments, specially in brand building, for eg taking a sparkling wine brand sales from 50 cases a year to 15.000 in two years and starting four single scottish whisky brands from zero to a 1 MM USD revenue in 2013.

While I was working I also earned my second Bachellors Degree in Business Administration, classes from 19 to 22 PM from monday to friday (8-14 on saturdays) for two years. (Hence the small Comm. service, as you'll see later, during 2011 - 2013)

Community Service / others: Went to community services and voluntary work in rural locations during summer breaks in different chilean rural towns building and reparing houses (mostly during early college years)... I also was part (during school) of CVX (catholic movement).
I have intrests in Photography, hiking (went to hike a 4.000 mts mountain this summer) travels (haven't been able to travel as much as I wanted, apart from work travels I have been in South America, USA, Ecuador and Galápagos), Sports: Skiing, Tenis, Football (scocer), Basketball, etc. I like to practice and also follow sports a lot. I play bass guitar, I was part of a thrash Metal group. Music is a very important part of my life, with tastes ranging from Opera to Death Metal. I also like gardening and painting on my free time.

I have never been active in politics, a couple of months ago I joined the Red Liberal movement, a small center-oriented political group.

Possible letters of recommendation: As said, from the CEO of my company (also Wharton Alumni), Commercial Directors or Export Managers of the brands we represented, wouldn't be too far fetched I am very aware they value my business and marketing capabilities a lot.

Intake: September '15

Career goals (short term): start a career on Management Consulting / Strategy / General Management (in Chile or abroad)
Carrer goals (mid term): start my own imports FCMG company in Chile
Career goals (long term): start an excellence driven high school for low income chilean children in order to tackle poverty, inequality, provide opportunities but also improve the human capital in Chile

Schools targeted:

First tier (assuming a +730 GMAT score): INSEAD, Kellogg, Chicago, Tuck, Wharton (The owner and CEO of my Company is Alumni and currently he is the head of the Chile Alumni and he could write a rec for me) LBS... Am I too far fetched?
Second tier I target Duke, Ross, Darden and Yale (I believe I would be a strong fit for this last program... I have a deep pasion for history, political science, world politics and global events so maybe there is a chance there?)

Self aware (?) weak points: Low GPA, no significant leadership roles in School / College, small and outdated comm service, only significant WE in a small / unknown company, no WE in a well known multinational company (I am currently looking for a Job either in Sales / Marketing in a blue chip to override this).

Thank you very much for your thoughts!

All the best
Chileanunderdog

Hi Chilean Underdog :)

You have quite an interesting profile, it speaks of a hardworker who has filled his hours with meaningful things, trying to better himself. Regarding the lack of community service, I would not worry about it; there are schools it matters more to, and you might steer yourself more towards programs that value well-roundedness and diversity, as opposed to counting the number of hours the person devotes to society through an organized program. You can also balance this aspect by talking somewhere about how you try to contribute to others and the world THROUGH the things you are already doing. Also you would want your recommenders to talk about this - how helpful you are, willing to give extra time, what a good team player you are, etc. Also, if you ever did any unofficial mentoring, volunteering, time spent in forums answering questions, etc. this can also help balance. Do mention the music, and other things that help us learn more about who you are as a person.

Regarding your goals, I'm not so sure about the mid and long term. Since you are 28 and have never started a company, it might look less than feasible that you plan later to open your own business. You might consider a plan that keeps you with the company you will work for, rising to the top. Same with the long-term goal; seems unrealistic. We don't see you interested in education anywhere in your background, so why the sudden interest? And if it's something you are really passionate about, why are you going to wait another 15-20 years to do something about it? I'd work on creating a plan that fits your background, makes sense and that you can get behind when you write and speak about it.

Good luck - a high GMAT will go a long way towards helping you get into these schools you are shooting for.

All the best,

Joy
Aringo.com

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  75