Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 13:16 It is currently 05 May 2024, 13:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Re: Ross (Michigan) Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
mittal wrote:
NYU (no $) v/s Ross (no $) v/s Tepper (50%) v/s USC (100% $). Yet to hear from some schools, but these may well be my options.

Can anyone advise me on making a choice?

If you want to work on the East Coast, go to NYU.

If you want to work on the West Coast, go to USC.

If you want to work somewhere in between, follow the money to Tepper.

Also, take my advice with a grain of salt...this is the Ross forum and I'm a Round 2 applicant. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
teleste wrote:
mittal wrote:
NYU (no $) v/s Ross (no $) v/s Tepper (50%) v/s USC (100% $). Yet to hear from some schools, but these may well be my options.

If you want to work on the East Coast, go to NYU.

If you want to work on the West Coast, go to USC.

If you want to work somewhere in between, follow the money to Tepper.

Also, take my advice with a grain of salt...this is the Ross forum and I'm a Round 2 applicant. :-D

I'm in a very similar situation. A little over 50% for Tepper and none at Ross. Also, full-ride to a slightly less selective Midwest program. I want to stay in the Midwest immediately post-MBA and I am leaning towards Ross with no money. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
mittal wrote:

Here is how I would look at it:

Will this university provide me the opportunity to my target career i.e. can I reach my short term goal(s) and have a foundation for my long term goal?

If you want to go to MBB – go the careers website and search for the university. If you can’t find a dedicated site, I would hesitate (personally) to go to school b/c it’s only going to get harder than what it is. On campus recruiting is important and I am sure that other MBB consultants and any consultant for that matter will attest to it.

Also scavenge LinkedIn. Do your due diligence to see if the numbers on the career sight and the representation align.

Does my learning style agree with the style at the school?

Not sure about the others but I am obsessed with MAP and the hand’s on learning style. It is the way I love to learn, have learned in the past and hope I can go to a school where I can continue to learn in that way.

If you are all qualitative and hate the quantitative side, I can almost certainly say you will probably hate three out of four schools listed above.

Will I feel confident saying that I went to School X when I am presenting my company at an IPO or a major ceremony?

This is more of a gut check and how you feel about the school. Imagine yourself about to enter the ranks of Partner or at the IPO speech for your venture – would you feel the pride in saying that you went to school x? It’s fairly insignificant honestly but this is more for personal satisfaction

What is the brand perception of the program?

I hate this part but you need to be real in the brand perception at least early on in your career. Accommodate everything – the university name, the name of the program, and the specialty. Ask people or their opinion but use your judgment about what the brand typically resonates with. Often this is a gut check, do I like what I hear, is this is what I want to hear etc.

I will be 100% honest and say that Stern and Ross are always given a high level of respect and this is after speaking with senior management at major companies. Everytime I speak with someone from Ross, I start to wonder what does Ross do to create such a deep sense of loyalty. Alumni rave about the program, the community, the classes, and the “experience”. This is consistent from intern to CEO. Walk around Trader Joes, Whole foods, etc. and it's not uncommon to hear "Go Blue" randomly.

Visit the school.

Honestly, you will never know until you visit. Look for those little things that you care about e.g. “yeah” v/s “yes”, “Prof. First Name” v/s “Prof. Last Name”, “jeans and tee” v/s “plaid, boats and collar shirt”. These are subtle but you need to be honest and think about the environment you enjoy. This is your decision after all and you want the ability to say why you finally came here over every other school. You are on the verge of making an appx. $150,000 bet on yourself, you might want to make sure that you are going to make a good one.

Closing thoughts:

USC & Tepper: Both fine schools and will probably give you a ton of options. But you have Stern and Ross that are in an entirely different league.

A note about Stern – I did the whole “commuter in a city” life when I studied abroad and honestly it isn’t what some might think. You have the collaboration and the community aspect and typically a tight community. Think about it, you have folks from all over the world coming in and they are probably going to try and want to build their own community as well. If you are going to be constantly distracted by the city, think about why you want an MBA in the first place? to move to a new city or to provide you with the network, skills, and experiences to shape the future of the business world. I know Stern gets a bashing for being a commuter school etc. but I have worked with a ton of Sternies and they are smart and have loved the MBA experience.

Finally, Use all comments with a grain of salt – this is your decision.

If you are seeking data to make the case for one school over another that is typically a bad sign and you ought to go with your gut on where you fit both now and where you want in the future.

Hope this helps.

WOW that was long. ☺
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi ,

I am an Indian applicant to Ross.
I was interviewed for Ross on Jan 31st. But I had to leave for Spain on Feb 1st , hence forgot to write a thank you mail to the interviewer.
Also Missed the team exercise due to my trip.

Any suggestions on whether I should write to interviewer now. Also missing the team exercise, does that hamper the chances of Indian applicant a lot.

Best Regards
Shubham Rao
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You really don't need to worry about a thank you note making a difference. They interview many candidates each and I'm sure there is nothing on the checklist for a thank you note. However, it is a nice gesture even if a bit late. Just explain you forgot.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Anyone had a call from Tauber Institute?
Send PM
FROM Ross (Michigan) Admissions Blog by Soojin Kwon: Approaching the Finish Line
Oh how I don't love LaGuardia airport. My flight landed 20 minutes early, only to be stuck on the runway for almost an hour because there were no gates open. But, got here safely and bumped into a Ross alum on his way back to NY from a consulting project in Phoenix. It was great catching up with him on work and life. I'm in NY today to moderate a Forte Foundation admissions panel for women planning to go to business school next year. It's Friday. The first Friday in a month that we haven't had a team exercise on...
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Calls will start coming by 12th March this year. Fingers crossed!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
all the best to fellow R2'ers....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Just received an email saying final decision March 14th. Keeping my fingers crossed. Can anyone confirm that they call accepted people 1-2 days early? March 12th is the day?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
According to the blog written by admissions director, calls will start going out by March 12th. But it could be for people based in the US. Don know if it is March 12th for international applicants.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
gambelda wrote:
Just received an email saying final decision March 14th. Keeping my fingers crossed. Can anyone confirm that they call accepted people 1-2 days early? March 12th is the day?

Question to R1 admits/dings - Do you need to create the U-M Friend account to access your decision, irrespective of your decision status? Or is that only for ppl Ross will admit/waitlist? :?:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
MBAjunkie16 wrote:
Question to R1 admits/dings - Do you need to create the U-M Friend account to access your decision, irrespective of your decision status?

+1

Would love to know...

Also, did anyone get admitted in Round 1 on the site without receiving a call?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.82
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I received the same email...also curious if it's significant in any way...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.45
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
teleste wrote:
MBAjunkie16 wrote:
Question to R1 admits/dings - Do you need to create the U-M Friend account to access your decision, irrespective of your decision status?

+1

Would love to know...

Hi,

Round 1 admit here who will 99% be going to Michigan in the fall. Yes, you need to create a U-M Friend account irrespective of your decision status - this is how you log into the internal system to view your decision, and (if admitted) submit your enrollment deposit/complete other enrollment activities.

All admitted students received a call from the admissions office. If you don't answer the initial call (I did answer) they will most likely leave a voicemail (someone who didn't answer the admit call from R1 please confirm). Not getting a call doesn't necessarily mean you were denied - it's possible that you could be WL'd.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
nachman58 wrote:
teleste wrote:
MBAjunkie16 wrote:

+1

Would love to know...

Hi,

Round 1 admit here who will 99% be going to Michigan in the fall. Yes, you need to create a U-M Friend account irrespective of your decision status - this is how you log into the internal system to view your decision, and (if admitted) submit your enrollment deposit/complete other enrollment activities.

All admitted students received a call from the admissions office. If you don't answer the initial call (I did answer) they will most likely leave a voicemail (someone who didn't answer the admit call from R1 please confirm). Not getting a call doesn't necessarily mean you were denied - it's possible that you could be WL'd.

Hope this helps!

Thanks nachman! Can you confirm that all scholarship offers will happen during the phone call for admits?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.45
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
mbamyway wrote:

Thanks nachman! Can you confirm that all scholarship offers will happen during the phone call for admits?

I didn't receive any scholarships (top schools probably don't give those out very often) but that is indeed what it sounds like. If you are admitted with scholarship, you will also be able to view your scholarship award with your Friend account inside the internal U-M portal (nothing will show if you do not get scholarships).
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37  ...  47   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts